Can't Carry at the County Fair

This is a discussion on Can't Carry at the County Fair within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the county fair last night. Met the family there after work. Had to park about 2 miles from the entrance and it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Carry at the County Fair

Can't Carry at the County Fair

Went to the county fair last night. Met the family there after work. Had to park about 2 miles from the entrance and it was about 95 degrees. Got to the entry gate bought my ticket and noticed they were making everyone walk through a metal detector. I called my wife because she was just on the inside of the gate waiting for me. Told her that I had to go back to my car because I had my gun on me and they won't let me in with it.

Of course this gave her another reason to get on me about carrying. She is pretty anti. Anyways had to walk back and put the gun in my car safe and then it was back to the fair for a fun evening.

Talked to a sheriff who said it was due to all of the gang bangers that they have had to use the metal detectors. Thanks.......
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if they would/could prevent entry by a CCW, though? Just because they have a metal detector, doesn't necessarily mean that someone who lawfully carries would be denied, does it? Would it be worth another confidential conversation with the sheriff if you want to go back another night? I mean, you wouldn't want to just "surprise" them by going through the detector and then trying to explain your way out of it, but giving him a heads up beforehand . . . maybe you could come to an agreement if they really didn't have a specific ordinance or other lawful order in place but were just kind of screening off the cuff . . .

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

I recently walked through a metal detector carrying my H&K USPc .45 on my hip - even after wanding me I was allowed to pass - no one ever noticed I was carrying. This was a public place with dozens of LEO working, lawfull carry was permitted. I didn't worry about a thing and just went about my business.

i would have found out if ya could have carried or not being legal to carry they might have let ya in

Lead Moderator
    sounds like you may have gotten in , I would of asked anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I almost went to the Woodford County fair (next county over from me) a couple weeks ago. Instead, I kept my money and sent them a nice e-mail because they didn't allow CCW (not just metal detectors). I just don't get how businesses want to restrict a demographic of people that have just about the lowest crime rates ever.

Little closed minds abound in politics and government. We can only hope that the same condition will carry over to the mouth.

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - the day my County Fair tries this sorta crap will be the last time I go!

Metal detectors or not - even they cannot guarantee a BG gun-free zone. I'll keep my insurance just where it should be thank you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In my county that would be unheard of. I carry in the park all the time for other events. There are no metal detectors and friendly sheriff deputies. I have open carried in a small group at the park, but mostly for civic events I fly under the radar.

My Kalifornia permit restricts carry at "a public event where alcohol is served or consumed."

I would assume that includes most county fairs. I wonder if paying admission changes the nature of the event from "public" to "private".

That way in this state...

Can't carry at "large public gatherings"

Parades, funerals, and "anywhere an admission is charged"

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    hey d good point about paying entrance making it public? i live in the restricted state to lol although we have pretty good carry rules in comparison to other parts of the country

Time for someone to lobby for State Preemption of local gun laws.

In WA State, one can't carry at a Rock Concert but fairs, etc are OK with CPL (WA's CCW permit).

Cities and Counties are restricted from passing more strict laws than State. Makes for a little more uniform playing field.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

IN ohio its also anywhere that sells aclohol for consumption adn it includes open-air arenas (ie: softball fields and i assume the fairs) where i spend a lotta time unfortunately (softball for wife).
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DParker
    I wonder if paying admission changes the nature of the event from "public" to "private".
    Not if it is open to the general public. The admission fee should have no effect on that.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links