Anyone else have trouble deciding on which gun to carry?

This is a discussion on Anyone else have trouble deciding on which gun to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys/gals, just wondering if anyone else struggles with which type of gun to carry? I currently have a S&W M&P9c and a S&W 637 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have trouble deciding on which gun to carry?

Hi guys/gals, just wondering if anyone else struggles with which type of gun to carry? I currently have a S&W M&P9c and a S&W 637 j-frame. I love the j-frame for ease of carry/weight, but really like the fact that the M&P carries 12 rounds in a single magazine. The j-frame also hides better, anything short of pulling my shirt up over my head and the j-frame is invisible while the M&P handle sticks out the back of my shirt when I bend over/down (I carry the M&P at 4:30 and the j-frame appendix). All is fine and dandy with the j-frame but then I really like the feel of the M&P and the larger load/capacity... To add to the mix I also debate which one would be better left at home for my wife, the larger capacity (but chance of jamming, etc) or the simpler and more reliable (but limited capacity) I think I feel a mental breakdown coming...

Anyone else have this much of a hard time deciding on a carry weapon?

2. Remove Ads

I have aprox 18 handguns, but only have carry holsters for 6 or 8 of them. I alternate between my G23 and my Sig P228 for main weapon and either one of my NAA Guardians or my S&W 649 for a BUG. Pretty easy to decide depending on weather and dress attire for the day.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Meh, sometimes. I have a Glock 23 that I carry maybe 90% of the time. But my other real carry gun is an XD .40 service model. It's a bi-tone as Springfield calls them. Silver slide, black frame. I love it, and it fits my hand like a glove but, it is a little bulkier that the G23 and it carries one less round so as a result, it doesn't see as much carry time as the Glock. But sometimes I break down and pull itout of the safe and carry the XD just because I do love it.

For deep concealment I have a 10 year old Taurus PT111 that has been a very good gun but that I am looking to replace in the near future.

I don't worry about what would be good for the wife. She has her own XD .40 sub compact that she carries. It goes everywhere she goes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There have been times. Less now than before. I carry according to conditions or what I feel best for the day. I've limited myself to a total of five options at any time. Options are good, but I could probably narrow it down to three in the next couple of years.

From all of my handguns, I carry a G27, because is the one I trust my life on. Besides being easy to carry and conceal, this handgun has never failed; it has been flawless. In my opinion, you should carry the one you trust the most. I carry my other handguns from time to time, depending on the circumstances, attire, etc., but the G27 is my EDC. For your wife at home, get her a shotgun.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Outa several pistols, I alternate between three primarily (G26, Kimber Ultra, PPK) and one BUG, usually my Sig P238. I have others to pick from but for one reason or the other I seem to pick up one of these pistols daily and don't give it a second thought. When I get bored with one I'll add another the line up and retire another one.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Oohh, shotgun...I like that idea Nothing says home defense like a short barreled 12 gauge! Probably only need one shot with one of those!

VIP Member
    Of all my guns, I basically have 3 in my carry line up. Assuming my 1911 comes back from SA and I can get it to function reliably I will probably retire my CZ P-06 .40 cal (due to wrist problems, not the gun) and stay with 3 primary guns, 1911, CZ P-01 MM and CZ 82 MM Makarov.

As to your M&P, you might try changing your carry from 4:30 to 3:30 position. I find that location works best for me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Yes, I started with a Kimber EE Compact II. While I never had a problem with mine, I heard of enough problems from others that I quit carring it and got a G23, that I carry 60% of the time now, but it's not as comfortable to carry as the 1911, so I got a M&P 340, even though I don't like the lock. Then S&W came out with the no lock 642 shortly after, so I got a 642. I don't practice enough to shoot good groups beyond 7 yards, so I got a Kahr P9, that is just as comfrontable to carry as the J frames, as long as it's not pocket carry, and I shoot it a whole lot better, but I have to be careful of my grip or I will hit the mag release while shooting, so there might be another on the way.

I sometimes vary between a Glock-36 (.45) and a Glock-26 (9mm), I sometimes grab the Ruger SP101 (.357).
    When/if I go to Orlando or Jax, it's the Glock-36 with extra mags.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Always carry the handgun you are MOST familiar and proficient with! Nuff said, except practice with the handgun you DO carry.

Just a little tip from your Old Uncle Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

sgb
    I carry a 5" 1911 at 3' O'clock, no issues, no questions, no problems
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    From all of my handguns, I carry a G27, because is the one I trust my life on. Besides being easy to carry and conceal, this handgun has never failed; it has been flawless. In my opinion, you should carry the one you trust the most. I carry my other handguns from time to time, depending on the circumstances, attire, etc., but the G27 is my EDC. For your wife at home, get her a shotgun.
    You are a man after my own heart boricua, I carry a Glock 33 Pocket Rocket (.357 Sig) and my wife has a 12ga "Crowd Pleaser" (Or as I like to call it ala J. Ventura "Old Painless") for close-in home defense!

We sleep on the 2nd floor and I have told her, "Honey, If I'm not home, if you hear a BG in the house, call 911, stay upstairs, wait on the landing around the corner from the stairs with "Old Painless", Yell "I've called 911" and if the BG steps onto the bottom stair step (They squeak like CRAZY) "LIGHT HIM UP". I of course know to identify myself to her before stepping on the stairs when I get home at night or from a trip! Don't want to be the "Lightee"

Just a $.02 from The Old duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

My absolute best advice is to carry the one you have that SHOOTS!

I'm in a "rare mood" tonight "medium rare" I think.

The Duke

I have 8 handguns in SD calibers (with a RIA 1911 .45ACP on the way, will be 9). Good mix of semis and wheelies, large and small of both, calibers .40, 9mm, .357, and .38. Usually not hard to decide which one(s) to carry based on where I'm going, what will be going on (setting, crowd factor, etc) and the attire to decide which one or combo would be best suited. Sometimes it just comes down to preference or which one I've been working with a lot lately.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links