Shooting of officer is ruled justifiable (Off-duty lawman called aggressor)

This is a discussion on Shooting of officer is ruled justifiable (Off-duty lawman called aggressor) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From Today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette newspaper... (interesting) Shooting of officer is ruled justifiable Off-duty lawman called aggressor BY STEVEN MROSS THE SENTINEL-RECORD HOT SPRINGS — ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting of officer is ruled justifiable (Off-duty lawman called aggressor)

From Today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette newspaper... (interesting)

Shooting of officer is ruled justifiable
    Off-duty lawman called aggressor
    BY STEVEN MROSS THE SENTINEL-RECORD
    HOT SPRINGS — An offduty Diamondhead police officer shot in the shoulder July 21 in an exchange of gunfire after an attempted traffic stop “used poor judgment” in his aggressive pursuit of a driver, and her husband was justified in shooting the officer, Garland County Prosecuting Attorney Steve Oliver determined in a ruling released Friday.
    Patrol officer Fred Ensminger, 46, who worked part time, was shot about 5:30 p.m. by Diamondhead resident Jerry Chambliss, 62, outside Chambliss’ house at 319 Coolwood Terrace after Ensminger followed Chambliss’ wife, Cindy Nelson, 54, home. Ensminger said he had seen Nelson earlier driving recklessly.

http://www.hotsr.com/news/Hot-Spring...officer-86.php
    Last edited by JD; September 10th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Copy right rule.

Oh man, what a twisted situation.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like some inconsistencies with their stories if I read it right. But in the end, it's good the home owner prevailed thanks to AR stand your ground law. The off duty cop was the aggressor here and out of bounds. If he had a cell, which I'm sure he did, he should have called 911 and reported her driving and let "on duty" cops handle it.

Bet he won't do that again.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

How many incidences are there of rapists outfitting their cars with lights and how hard is it to get some type of badge (CCW badge come to mind)

If my wife calls and says some idiot is following her, when she arrives at home I will NOT have to run into the garage to get a gun, I will be at the front door with my M1-A and if the guy makes a dumb move he will look like a block of Swiss cheese.

I can't even follow that rambling shambles of an "article." It's hard to tell who did what to whom, when, or even whether. Sounds like a muddy he-said, she-said. I wouldn't know where to begin except to request a different review of the facts and claims, because relying upon this one to make any judgments seems fairly premature.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So, no charges for the cop for attempted murder of the homeowner, filing a false report and lying to investigators? Yep, only cops should have guns...
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Crazy story. Also shows that shooting straight wins over caliber...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

A very unusual policing arrangement.

http://www.diamondheadcommunity.com/Police.htm

^wow the gate guard did a great job of "protecting" They even had warning that a crazy guy was following his wife. Unusual indeed!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

GM
    Such a situation!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So the off duty Officer showed his badge announced he was a Police Officer and was shot without even getting out of the car? I do not care what anybody in here thinks, if this is the truth the guy who shot him was wrong. In Virginia that guy would be doing fifteen years or more. The old man can't say he was in fear of his life if he charged the off duty officers car and slammed his fist down on his hood, he was just carrying over the road rage and thought he could get away with it because he happened to make it to his driveway and because of a weak DA or Commonwealth he did just that. Pathetic.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

That is one weird set up there. I'm not sure if the Diamond Head police are a real police force or just a glorified security guard kind of deal. Not sure I would feel too secure in a place patrolled by these yahoos.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    So the off duty Officer showed his badge announced he was a Police Officer and was shot without even getting out of the car? I do not care what anybody in here thinks, if this is the truth the guy who shot him was wrong. In Virginia that guy would be doing fifteen years or more. The old man can't say he was in fear of his life if he charged the off duty officers car and slammed his fist down on his hood, he was just carrying over the road rage and thought he could get away with it because he happened to make it to his driveway and because of a weak DA or Commonwealth he did just that. Pathetic.
    Maybe I missed something, I gathered that the wife was the driver, not the husband.
    Evidence, one of his shell casings wedged in his windshield wiper, seems to indicate that he did in fact exit his vehicle.
    The rest seems to be a he said, she said sort of thing.

Why did this cop follow in an personal vehicle...no cell phone?
    I would have done the same thing if a private vehicle followed my wife home.
    Glad no charges were filed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The off duty cop was an idiot. Diamond Head is a pretty upscale area that I have driven past a number of times on my way to a lake in the area. I don't guess I have ever noticed any LEO's in the area, and didn't know they had their own police department.

Sounds like the off duty cop should have called whatever he wanted to report into an on duty officer instead of playing whatever games he was playing that ended up getting him on the wrong end of a citizens handgun. Some times I have to wonder what is going through folks heads when they do stuff.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links