Defensive Carry banner

Carry around alcohol?

4K views 41 replies 36 participants last post by  gotammo 
#1 ·
so how many states do not allow carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol? i have seen some posts about no carry around alcohol.
i checked with my sheriff and was told that colorado has no law to not allow carry in a bar.
he just stated that you must be under the legal limit. i do not drink so that is not a big deal.

i did spend three hours on sunday at the brewfest checking out the bands and people watching with some friends. (of course packing)
have never been around so many drunk people while packing. felt a little nervous at first, but felt ok after i had pased three sets of police.

#2 ·
I have had a drink or a beer while carrying as in one.
(1) for me is no problem.

Usually when I am out to dinner & with my meal.

I do not go to bars to drink.

I never drink to get drunk & I am a Big Boy now.

It's nice to have a brew with dinner.

Drunk (as in smashed) people are almost always a social turn off to me so I try to avoid them.

#3 ·
I wish I could carry in a bar. I make deliveries to them and have to disarm everytime I go in. Just a PITA.

MI has a 51% rule. If a majority of its profits are from alcohol consumed on the premises, no carry. They term it "bar or tavern" in the statutes, but I do the name game. If the name of the restaruant is a bar's name like Midway Bar, but serves bar food, no carry. If the name is The Michigan House, it is a restaraunt that serves alcohol and is OK to carry in.

#4 ·
Ohio prohibits carry in any establishment with a class D license that serves liquor on premises. Carry-outs, convenient stores and grocery stores have mistakenly posted the obsolete Dept. of Liquor Control signs that say "If you are carrying a firearm in this establishment" signs -- not applicable, as grocery stores, convenient stores and carry-outs generally aren't serving liquor by the drink.

#5 ·
freakshow10mm said:
I wish I could carry in a bar. I make deliveries to them and have to disarm everytime I go in. Just a PITA.

MI has a 51% rule. If a majority of its profits are from alcohol consumed on the premises, no carry. They term it "bar or tavern" in the statutes, but I do the name game. If the name of the restaruant is a bar's name like Midway Bar, but serves bar food, no carry. If the name is The Michigan House, it is a restaraunt that serves alcohol and is OK to carry in.
Thats the way i do it to the name game anything bar or tavern is a no go

#10 ·
In Ohio you can not carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. Not just bars but restaurants too. So Ohio is like Georgia, if your favorite Applebees has a bar and serves beer then you can't carry in there. But you can leave it locked in the car, not all the way back home. Hopefully this is one of the things that will be changed in the fall when the legislators get back to work.

Personally, if I am going to enjoy an adult beverage I put the guns away. If I'm sitting around the house in the evening and want to have a nice drink I take my CCW off and lock it away.

#11 ·
In PA

In PA there are no restaurant, bars, or 51% carry restrictions.
There are shootings that happen in and outside of bars in Pittsburgh and most of those are probably somehow alcohol, drug or "combination of both" consumption related ~ FORTUNATELY NONE of them are committed with legally licensed to carry firearms.
They are all with unregistered illegally carried firearms hauled around by life~loser type individuals.

#14 ·
You cannot carry in any establishment that serves alcohol for on-site consumption here in TN, which is a shame, because I enjoy eating out and I don't drink.

Apparently they think all carrypermit holders are going to forgo common sense, get drunk and shoot everybody, or that we're just not allowed to defend ourselves against violent drunks we encounter there ("he was a good boy, it was just the bottle that made him slap people around").

Drinking and firearms are two areas that require a great deal of personal responsibility.

While I can understand that one drink may have little to no effect on a person, someone who has had even one drink will be eyed extremely suspiciously when involved in an altercation, especially if it involves firearms, so it's best that firearms and alcohol don't mix at all!

#16 ·
Florida

Florida Statute 790.06(12) states in part:
No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any ~~ portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose
So, I can carry in Applebees, but not in the bar area.
Not perfect by any means, but I prefer this over some of the others state's laws.
Good luck. :smile:

#40 ·
Here's The Kicker...

Florida Statute 790.06(12) states in part:

So, I can carry in Applebees, but not in the bar area.
Not perfect by any means, but I prefer this over some of the others state's laws.
Good luck. :smile:
In AppleBees you can't sit in the bar and have a burger without a beer while armed...but...you can sit in the restaurant part of AppleBees and have a beer with a burger WHILE armed...on a very rare ocassion, I have done that...never more than one, and I could't tell you the last time it happened. Figure out how they made that law? It's OK, better than most states...(I know, I know...forget the :rant: about one drink while armed, it's:deadhorse:)

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#17 ·
I agree with Betty. Alcohol consumption and firearms, ie gunpowder should not be mixed in any quantity at all. Carrying and abstnance from alcohol should be legal but TN is fixated on this law.

#18 ·
Here in South Carolina, I can't carry in a restaurant, or bar period. I don't understand the reasoning behind this law. In North Carolina, where I used to work, you can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol, for consumption on premises.

#19 ·
MO has the 51% of revenue from food (or some such percentage) rule. I carry all the time and my wife and I go to one "tavern" - but it's also a private club. MO law states that you may carry in an establishment that primarily serves alcohol if the owner or management allows you personally to do so. Where we go, the bartenders are actually quite happy when I'm there and it's somewhat common for the crowd to have several guns disassembled on the bar when I'm there, since I'm the somehow-elected gunsmith.
I've not really figured out the reasoning behind the no carry laws and alcohol. If you're going to be drunk, then that's your problem and with that lack of self-control, you likely shouldn't be carrying. So, leave it in the car and get stupid.
I guess that's why I only go to the one "tavern" and no place else. There aren't any drunks there that I've ever seen, just older responsible people. If that place closes, I guess we'll just stay home.

#20 ·
"Under the Influence"

LenS said:
In MA, the ONLY alcohol related restriction is that you can not be in possession of firearms if you are "under the influence". I can live with that.
Have you ever seen a definition of what that actualy means here in the PRM? Under the Influence is defined specificaly in the Motor Vehicle Code, but not the firearms code, AFAIK. I can argue that it means any BAC above .00, or that it means above .08 (I think thats the legal limit to drive?). But I sure dont wanna be the test case for that.

Be Safe
AE

#21 ·
ENSANE1970 said:
Here in South Carolina, I can't carry in a restaurant, or bar period. I don't understand the reasoning behind this law. In North Carolina, where I used to work, you can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol, for consumption on premises.
North Carolina also has a law that states that if you have any amount of controlled substance in your system, you can not carry concealed. My understanding is that you can still carry open.
The only variation that I have found is if it is a medically prescribed medication, and is at or below prescribed dosage.

Once a year my "office" has a Christmas party. We go to the boss's house and shoot guns, drink beer and smoke like freight trains. I will usually hold off any alcohol until I am finished shooting, or will drink in great moderation. Either way, the wife drives home.

#22 ·
I have been legally carrying daily for MANY MANY years.

I should add that I have absolutely NO criminal history NONE EVER as in nada~zero~zilch & have never even had a parking ticket.

If you run a "Rap Sheet" on me the page will come out of the printer plain white as in BLANK.

I don't even PARK illegally.

I comply with the law.

And if the very same law that I live with & abide by (every single day of my life) states that I can have a beer with my dinner then that is OK with me too.
I'm an extremely responsible adult.

I don't do anything that would not be considered to be normal human social behavior.

My personal logic (for myself) is that for a Multitude of years I have carried without incident.
I never look for trouble ~ I am never confrontational ~ I have good common sense and situational awareness & I do not have dinner in dangerous or high crime areas.
>We do not have any gangs in my area.
>We do not have any illegal immigrants.
>We do not have a daily violent crime problem in my area.
>We do not have muggers and robber barons on every street corner.
>We do not have car jacking or road rage incidents or drivebys & the list goes on of crimes that we Just Do Not Have in my area.

I live in a nice town and I pay my Fed State & Local Taxes Right On Time to live here too. :yup:

So...if I allow some vague, obscure, "one in a million" chance of a highly unlikely possible deadly threat to dictate and control my normal human social behavior and I allow that to control my Para~Normal Exemplary Upstanding All American Good Guy Life then then EVIL has finally triumphed over GOOD and the nameless, anonymous, "Bad Guys" have stolen our country and all of our freedom.

We might as well just turn it all over to them right now.

That is how I feel about having a damn beer.

I don't get anything that even remotely resembles a buzz off of one beer.

#23 ·
No Drinking Prohibition in Virginia

Actually, Virginia doesn't prohibit you from drinking while armed. It uses the 'under the influence' lingo.

It doesn't define this but it does say that if you are convicted of being under the influence for purposes of driving a car it will constitute evidence of being under the influence for purposes of carring a gun.

So, while it is clear that if you are drunk enough to get charged under a DWI you are too drunk to carry, it is not clear how much "less" drunk you can be and still carry.

My personal rule is that if I am armed, I do not drink when out of my home. However, I have had a beer or a glass of wine at home while armed. But if I feel that if I just HAVE to get a buzz, I'll leave the gun locked away. Just my personal rule.

#24 ·
QK has more than summed up the PA situation. IIRC the DUI levels are what would be taken into account if found drunk and legally carrying.

I am with him on the one beer with meal limit - or none at all. One beer consumed over an hour or more and with food means slow absorbtion and ''processing'' over time - meaning it is all but a non event physiologically.

The disparity between states does seem crazy and often extreme. I go in to state liquor store to buy - I go to Applebees maybe to eat and probably not drink - and even occasionally when on bike runs stop at a bar but get a soda - in all these cases I can legally still carry and to have to do otherwsie would seem crazy.

I am sorry for folks in states where the laws concerned with alcohol establishments are so draconian - they can have little useful effect other than to reduce the options for CCW.

#25 ·
Michigan has the above mention 51%=bar rule and also prohibits carry if you have a BAC of .02 or higher. I can see the .02 part, but why the bar part if it is already basically illegal to carry if you have had anything to drink? It just keeps the DD's from carrying and nothing more.

All the best,

Joe

#26 ·
Washington State allows concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you stay out of the portion that excludes minors. That would mean, to me, the lounge or bar. As to establishments that serve only liquor (Bars, Taverns, Saloons, etc.) they are off limits except to LEO's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.