Carrying around kids?

This is a discussion on Carrying around kids? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you effectively carry around kids (yours, and others at a day-care/pre-school) when basically they are on the business-end of your firearm when they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying around kids?

Carrying around kids?

How do you effectively carry around kids (yours, and others at a day-care/pre-school) when basically they are on the business-end of your firearm when they are standing next to you or grabbing your legs to play?

It's gotten to the point for me where I don't carry if I'm going to pick up my daughter from pre-school; I unholster into the glovebox before I go in, and then re-holster after I come out.

2. Remove Ads

I think there's a federal law about bringing a gun into a daycare or pre-school facility. I said, "I THINK", so that means I'm not sure. Anyway, back to your point, my kids know what my gun is and they know its dangerous. I tell them that its never to be touched. Even my two year old will never touch it, by her choice.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Luckily I dont have to worry about it, but whan I play with my kids, they ask me to unholster to play with them. I do this, with great pleasure. my kids are the only ones I do this for though, and it always stays close.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

If it's correctly holstered and stays that way there is no issue. Would you unholster if you carried in your front pocket and went out to dinner with friends. After all, the other side of the table is the business end of the gun. Just saying. I carry around my girls every day. They know not to mess with it. But occasionally they will run their head into it, or brush it when I get a hug. But if it's holstered it's not just going to go off.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    umm, u have to take ur gun off to go into a school anyway, however, its a matter of knowing your weapon, that gun will not go off on its own
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Most "day care / pre-school" 'facilities' are not protected as a school by law. Just because they paint "preschool" on the wall does not make them a real school. And even at an actual school, in my home state of Washington, he would be legal. I don't know how many other states do, but we aren't alone. If you're picking up a child at a primary or secondary school in WA, you do not have to disarm.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Most "day care / pre-school" 'facilities' are not protected as a school by law. Just because they paint "preschool" on the wall does not make them a real school. And even at an actual school, in my home state of Washington, he would be legal. I don't know how many other states do, but we aren't alone. If you're picking up a child at a primary or secondary school in WA, you do not have to disarm.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280
    This is merely Washington State law; it has nothing to do with the Gun Free Zones Act of 1996.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

To answer the OP's question directly...

If the gun is in a properly-made holster...it is safe.

If the gun is concealed in a properly-made holster...it is safe.

The gun WILL NOT go off if it is a holster...

You are over-thinking this "problem"...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Well, to avoid the argument that the supreme court should be arguing about states' rights and whether they supersede federal, I'll just reiterate that the OP's example probably isn't really a school.

Also, it probably isn't his point, I was just trying to stop the constant argument of "but. . . but. . . he CAN'T carry, it's a school". I wouldn't have a problem carrying around children in this context, but I would be more aware of where their little mitts are compared to my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    To answer the OP's question directly...

If the gun is in a properly-made holster...it is safe.

If the gun is concealed in a properly-made holster...it is safe.

The gun WILL NOT go off if it in a holster...

You are over-thinking this "problem"
    I agree with this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    livewire, good point about the kiddie mitts, i could see a kid inadvertently bumping a trigger on some of the softer leather and nylon holsters, good point!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have 5 kids under 6. I play with them with my gun on. Yes, it is in a good kydex or leather holster. I carry them, change diapers, etc. I dont worry. I dont know that I would roll around on the floor with them while wearing my gun. But, I probably wouldnt do that in public anyway. Quality firearm, quality holster, I cant imagine a problem(and I do obsess about everything).

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    This is merely Washington State law; it has nothing to do with the Gun Free Zones Act of 1996.
    School zone exclusions do not apply to those with a CHL unless a state law says otherwise.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The Federal Gun Free Zone Act of 1996 leaves it up to the states to determine what is considered an elementary school or a secondary school. Generally elementary school begins at K-1 and secondary school ends at K-12.

Definitions were amended to Section 921(a) of the title:

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

In my state, carry in a pre-school or daycare is not prohibited by by federal law or by state laws prohibiting carry in schools. Carry in a pre-school or daycare is prohibited (without consent) by a separate paragraph.

RSMO Section 571.107
    ](10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(11) Any portion of a building used as a child-care facility without the consent of the manager. Nothing in this subdivision shall prevent the operator of a child-care facility in a family home from owning or possessing a firearm or a driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement;
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    The Federal Gun Free Zone Act of 1996 leaves it up to the states to determine what is considered an elementary school or a secondary school. Generally elementary school begins at K-1 and secondary school ends at K-12.

Definitions were amended to Section 921(a) of the title:

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

In my state, carry in a pre-school or daycare is not prohibited by by federal law or by state laws prohibiting carry in schools. Carry in a pre-school or daycare is prohibited (without consent) by a separate paragraph.

RSMO Section 571.107
    ](10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(11) Any portion of a building used as a child-care facility without the consent of the manager. Nothing in this subdivision shall prevent the operator of a child-care facility in a family home from owning or possessing a firearm or a driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement;
    This is interesting and informative. Thanks, Sig.

I've always been a big proponent of legally carrying in and around schools (Columbine and Virginia Tech).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links