Traffic Stop with Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop with Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know it’s Labor Day weekend and the Texas Department of Public Safety was out in Full Force on IH20 around Weatherford, Texas. Towing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stop with Concealed Carry

Traffic Stop with Concealed Carry

Ok, I know it’s Labor Day weekend and the Texas Department of Public Safety was out in Full Force on IH20 around Weatherford, Texas. Towing a trailer with a 4 wheeler on it heading to the ranch and notice a trooper on the side of the road possible shooting radar. About a mile later I notice he is behind me and I am in the right lane and he moves almost even with me and then backs off, tucks in behind me and lights me up. I did take a look and my speed as I went by and I had the Cruise set at 65, the speed limit so I was't concerned about that. As he came up on the passenger’s side my wife lowers the window and greets him and he does his intro. When he is at the window I remove my wallet so that he see's my hands at all times and the wife hands him the insurance documents about the same time I had him my Drivers license and CHL. He takes a looks and advises me that the reason for the stop was that my trailer safety chains were NOT crosses. Ok you are correct. Sometimes I cross them and sometimes I just twist them to keep them off the pavement. Didn’t know it was law. He hands me my CHL and Insurance and asked the question I was waiting for, “Where is it and where is it located”. I advise him that it is located at my Right Strong side IWB. And that was that. No other discussion about the CC even as I was sitting inside his car receiving the Warning for my chains not being crossed.

Kinda think he was looking for stolen items such as trailers and 4 wheelers cause he ran all my numbers.

Conversation was all that. Not the CC or CHL. SHOUT out the Trooper Hunter. You were VERY professional. To all out LEO. Stay safe.
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

2. Remove Ads

Never has been an issue with any LEO's in Texas that I have come in contact with. They have always just thanked me for letting them know.

I did not know about the chains being crossed either. In fact, one of my small trailers doesn't even have chains.

Arkansas was ate up with State Troopers along 30 and 40 going to Memphis and back, I set the cruise at 70 and watched all the other idiots contribute to the state revenue.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I've never known anybody to cross their chains........
    It could have just been an excuse to pull you over and check your stuff out (you said it seemed he was looking for stolen stuff). At least in my area cops are definitely NOT above lying about why they pulled you over. I've gotten off faaar better by not calling them out on it though.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    and why did he pull your from your car and put you in his?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The chains are supposed to be crossed so if the tongue were to pop off the ball, the chains would catch it before the tongue dug into the pavement. How well it would work is anybody's guess. My trailer came with cables that don't reach far enough to cross, but, evidently, FL LEOs have too much other serious work to worry about trailer chains.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

He asked that I move the chains. And while in his car he issued me the WARNING for the chains. I looked it up.

Chains must be equal length. Attach to towing vehicle equidistant right and left of
    point where vehicles are connected. Attach to towed vehicle either side of tongue
    equidistant forward and left of hitch. Connect by means of bolts, pins or secure
    connecting methods meeting strength requirements. Cannot be directly welded.
    They MUST Prevent Tow Bar From Dropping to Ground if Disengaged, IE Crisscross
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

Sounds like a technically legit stop, although I agree, he was probably just checking you out.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

GM
    Glad that it ended well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Good stop and You learned something and so did we. THX.

Good encounter, as they all should be.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

That was a refreshing change from most of the traffic stop posts. Thank you !

Just as a matter of information most LEO's stopped putting people in their patrol car to write citations years ago. You still see an occassional FHP trooper do it but it goes against most tactical and officer safety training today.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I've never known anybody to cross their chains........
    It could have just been an excuse to pull you over and check your stuff out (you said it seemed he was looking for stolen stuff). At least in my area cops are definitely NOT above lying about why they pulled you over. I've gotten off faaar better by not calling them out on it though.
    I am the opposite, everyone I know crosses the chains, it is just basic common sense in my book. YMMV
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Never had nothing but good experiences with Texas DPS Troopers (or Texas Parks and Wildlife Game Wardens, for that matter).

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

He didn't cuff you, throw you against the car, and scream "Gun!". Nor did he dismantle your firearm...your your safety and his, and hide the pieces in the trunk.
    Fair stop...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by coker737 View Post
    Ok, I know it’s Labor Day weekend and the Texas Department of Public Safety was out in Full Force on IH20 around Weatherford, Texas. Towing a trailer with a 4 wheeler on it heading to the ranch and notice a trooper on the side of the road possible shooting radar. About a mile later I notice he is behind me and I am in the right lane and he moves almost even with me and then backs off, tucks in behind me and lights me up. I did take a look and my speed as I went by and I had the Cruise set at 65, the speed limit so I was't concerned about that. As he came up on the passenger’s side my wife lowers the window and greets him and he does his intro. When he is at the window I remove my wallet so that he see's my hands at all times and the wife hands him the insurance documents about the same time I had him my Drivers license and CHL. He takes a looks and advises me that the reason for the stop was that my trailer safety chains were NOT crosses. Ok you are correct. Sometimes I cross them and sometimes I just twist them to keep them off the pavement. Didn’t know it was law. He hands me my CHL and Insurance and asked the question I was waiting for, “Where is it and where is it located”. I advise him that it is located at my Right Strong side IWB. And that was that. No other discussion about the CC even as I was sitting inside his car receiving the Warning for my chains not being crossed.

Kinda think he was looking for stolen items such as trailers and 4 wheelers cause he ran all my numbers.

Conversation was all that. Not the CC or CHL. SHOUT out the Trooper Hunter. You were VERY professional. To all out LEO. Stay safe.
    Texas DPS troopers are cream of the crop, generally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links