Home Depot encounter

Home Depot encounter

This is a discussion on Home Depot encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made a quick run to my local Home Depot to get some repair parts for a leaky toilet. Before I left the house, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot encounter

Home Depot encounter

I made a quick run to my local Home Depot to get some repair parts for a leaky toilet. Before I left the house, I grab my Springfield XD40 in my Blackhawk Serpa and an extra mag and headed out. While I was using the self checkout the attendant aske me 'Are you a police officer?'. I said no, the she asked why I felt the need to carry a gun, for protection I replied. She asked where I lived and was it a bad part of town. I said no, I only live about 2 miles away, but the police cant be everywhere at once. She kind of gave me this blank look, I went on to say that if you called 911 right now, there response time at best is about 2 minutes. I said that my wife also has a CCW(she has a Bersa .380) and that we want to protect our kids as best we can. She said that she meant no offense as was just curious because she was thinking about getting a handgun.
    All in all, not a bad experience and hopefully opened the eyes of someone else.
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

That sounds like a good one

Doesn't sound like your weapon was very concealed...

~Dan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Why do you carry a gun?"

"So people will leave me alone. Obviously it's not working." Sorry, that's so wrong, but it struck me as funny.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

With a Blackhawk Serpa holster, I'm assuming the gun was OWB and visible.

Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818 View Post
    ... but the police cant be everywhere at once. She kind of gave me this blank look.
    That "blank" look is the turning point, with many people. At that moment, it's highly likely the person is just gaining a glimpse of what your talking about, imagining what could happen if a serious violent problem was going down but the police were multiple minutes away. The trick is to help them see that THEY are responsible for survival during those minutes. The brighter ones, or at least the more open-minded ones, will see this.

I love these chance encounters where it's clear someone is interested in the concept, gets the idea, and realizes that survival can be tough without the right tools and training. I've had a few good exchanges in the past year or two, helping to point folks in the right direction.

Congrats on the great encounter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good response. You could add: And if you were being robbed by a gun waving crack addict, that 2 minutes might be too long, but myself and any other CHL'ers who're no doubt in this store right now might be in a position to help.

Nice interaction, maybe somewhere down the line, Home Depot will start carrying ammo...Home Deopt = HD? Stranger things have happened.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love when non-LEO type people ask this. What would they do if you had said no?

I think he was OC
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    "Why do you carry a gun?"

"So people will leave me alone. Obviously it's not working." Sorry, that's so wrong, but it struck me as funny.
    That so succinctly describes how I really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice interaction, maybe somewhere down the line, Home Depot will start carrying ammo...Home Deopt = HD? Stranger things have happened.
    I would enjoy this. Seeing as how I work there I could buy it all up before it hits the shelves.

Actually my store is pretty cool about carrying. I think most of the open carriers people assume are off duty police.

Now if only they would let employees carry.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    This is why I believe OC in populated areas is a bad idea... it attracts attention to you. I've come to think that OC is used by some people because they want the attention. IMHO, stealth trumps advertising.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The simpliest response is: "Do you see a police officer around to protect you in the next few seconds it would take someone to assault you?"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think sheeple suffer from mental blocks that obstruct their ability to think clearly and logically about serious issues such as personal security; prefering instead to impulsively, and predictably resort to expressing emotional, knee-jerk responses to such serious matters.

Frankly, even though the encounter described by the OP proved to be positive, I prefer not to discuss such important matters as personal security with strangers - especially where our conversation can be overheard - which is why I always carry concealed. The best form of security is still secrecy. What others don't know about me, what I possess on my person, in my vehicle, or in my home will neither harm them, or tempt them to do wrong against me. I'm a quiet, reserved introvert who appreciates the orderly peace of mind I diligently strive to maintain in my humble, low-key life. And I consider it extremely inconsiderate when others violate my space to pump me for personal information that is really none of their business, and/or to inflict their opinions on me. If I want to listen to lame opinions, I'll tune into the idiot box, which I tuned out of many moons ago to help preserve what sanity I have left.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That "blank" look is the turning point, with many people. At that moment, it's highly likely the person is just gaining a glimpse of what your talking about, imagining what could happen if a serious violent problem was going down but the police were multiple minutes away. The trick is to help them see that THEY are responsible for survival during those minutes. The brighter ones, or at least the more open-minded ones, will see this.
    Agreed. That blank look is the sign of them at least attempting to comprehend what they've been told. What you say at that point is important.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links