Funny question.

This is a discussion on Funny question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No Laughing. I was talking to my fiancée about concealed carry, (I’m trying to convince her to take the course), she started talking about clothing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny question.

Funny question.

No Laughing. I was talking to my fiancée about concealed carry, (I’m trying to convince her to take the course), she started talking about clothing and I thought she was trying to change the subject. As it turns out she ended up teaching me some stuff, go figure. She was talking about how clothing alters apperance like vertical stripes make a person appear taller, horizontal stripes make a person appear heavier, pleated pants hide stomach bulges etc. My question is, Does anyone know of any reference material covering this material.? I think it would be great to apply to concealed carry. All my internet searches have led to vests, jackets and fanny packs, and haven’t found anything of value at the local library. Any help would be appreciated.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

If your buying t-shirts get ones that are heavier cotton and stick to darker colors. Those conceal the best because they are "print resistant".

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Go Hawaiian,

The semi-loud print shirts tend to hide bulges also.

There have been several threads about just this topic not to long ago.

Some other with good advice will be along shortly
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    She has pointed out basic fashion information. So when you search do it on fashion info with nothing about guns or CCW.

Buy your clothes one size to big. Form fitting stuff may look good, but you will not be able to effectively conceal anything. If you carry IWB definitely be sure your pants are a size bigger in the waist, maybe two sizes bigger depending.

Big and Tall stuff has a more generous cut and deeper pockets. I don't need B&T, but I often buy B&T for those reasons. Again makes it a lot easier to conceal my guns. I can drop a G17 into the front pocket of my B&T pants and all you can make out is the mag base if you have the right angle to look into the pocket.

If possible take your carry rig with you when buying clothes. This way you can ensure that the clothes will work for your carry method. Also be sure to run through your entire range of motion to ensure that your gun stays concealed. I do this in the dressing room and then have my wife check everything before a decision is made.

I'm sure there is more good info to come.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Fabric Patterns

Just a couple of thoughts. Seems like shirts with straight lines--vertical or horizontal, alternating in light and dark--would print worse than solid dark colors or patterns with curvy lines. The straight lines would be broken by the outline of the weapon. So whereas vertical stripes would make a person appear thinner, or horizontal stripes would make thin people appear thicker, they might not be a good choice for CCW.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Im a redneck and you REALLY DONT want to know any more about my fashon sense LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Just get a shirt with prints of all sorts of rifles and guns on them....so when you print, it is just the print, not you printing.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

JD
    Administrator

Carrying cloths / holsters

1:IWB means larger waist sizes
    2:Shirts with tails are a little easier to get up over your weapon when drawing
    3: Closely checkered patterns will help break up the lines if you are printing.
    4. Stick with darker colors and patterns that aren't straight lines in any direction.
    5. Thin, white shirts are a nono, IF I CAN SEE YOUR GLOCK UNDER YOUR SHIRT YOUR WRONG.
    6. Carpenters pants have a built in mag pouch that can hold 2 single stacks pretty darn nice.
    7. Buy suit jackets a little looser to accomodate a shoulder holster and/or give you more range of motion to draw.
    8. Fobus roto holsters will loosen up and dump your gun on the floor at the worst possible time(me in the mall, you should have seen the look on the face of the guy behind me)
    9. Never carry your weapon when shopping with a woman, you may be tempted to end your suffering.
    10. Have 2 holsters and or two different carry guns that can roughly be put in the same positon on your body, one for hotter weather and one for cooler, mastering one draw is better than mastering 3 or 4 pending on what your carrying.
    That is the best thing about 1911's and Glocks if you ask me, pretty much same holster and operation wether it's full size or sub compact

Cover Garments

Case in Point: At a match the other day my mother and grand parents came to watch (me get my azz handed to me, but thats another story). My grandmother commented on my ugly hawian shirt ($9.99 at wally world, and yes I did cary when I went to get it), and asked why I was wearing 'that thing'.

So I explained why we always cary to/from the range (never mind why we cary else where, thats a debate for another day). Turns out she was asking about the shirt, and didn't notice the 1911 OWB till I pointed it out. And even even after showing her where the gun was, and pulling the shirt tight to show it printing it was _still_ hard for her to see where the grip was.

Lesson: loud and ugly cover shirts work well, and my paranoia that the light shirt was printing for all to see was just that.

AE

Not to say others are wrong, but for me, when i began carrying IWB i did not hafta upsize my pants size.
    i don't wear'em skin tight (others may disagree) but the fit how they should fit IMHO. not loose and droopy nor 'painted on' and i have bneen able to contuinue with my saem size.
    now i do carry a 1911 so its thinner than a glock or other similar DA gun which may make a difference.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

This site has some decent information.

http://www.nitenhome.com/CCW.html

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    This site has some decent information.

http://www.nitenhome.com/CCW.html
    That is a good site but still not quite what I'm looking for.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

It's my belief that the more you know the less that can be used about you. Theres a whole school of thought out there on how to dress for concealment of physical defects that I think could increase my creativity for carrying a concealed weapon. I've carried for 16 years now and have never been "made" by someone who didn't know me, (those who really know me, know I always carry) but I do have to admit that I do dress differently than the average citizen. Normally in small ways that go unnoticed by the normal sheep of society but in ways that can be recognized. I think this is a knowledge pool that could help reduce those differences, and reduce the risk of being made without comprimising your weapons accessability. I know theres specific rules of dress that help to distract, (think of the bank robbers that wear band aids, or yellow rain coats...that are never caught, even when they are seen on video.) I think it would be awesome to be able to develope a style of dress that would prevent someone from even looking at your waist line, much less seeing the gun there. I know thats a bit extreme but... ok, done thinking...I've gotta go get some water. LOL
    George Orwell

kikr -- might be attitude and "bearing" - for lack of a better word - that has a lot to do with whether people notice you have a firearm. Sounds to me like you just know how to carry and then type of clothing helps a bit.
    An interesting topic and one I'd like to know more about as well. On the other hand, sometimes it seems to me that sheep wouldn't notice if I were carrying two riot guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    ..........don't wear'em skin tight .......not loose and droopy nor 'painted on' .........
    Painted on is ONLY OK if you're between 18-24, female, cute as a button, and have a really hard body

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links