Paranoid or Safe?

Paranoid or Safe?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright ever since i got home from basic this summer and had my father buy my handgun since im not 21 yet, Whenever i get ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Paranoid or Safe?

Alright ever since i got home from basic this summer and had my father buy my handgun since im not 21 yet, Whenever i get home from school I go up to my room put on my holster, lock and load my glock and put it in my holster and go about my daily chores/habits. My father is gone a lot so i have to do a lot of muscle around here, just tonite i had to go get something out of the loft which is above are garage, its close to ten o clock and last year we had a guy hold his wife ransom on our very road, which was out in the middle of nowhere, most of the time at night ill put my pistol under my bed but tonite i thought i should carry it thinking upon the recent situation that happened last year. I come down the stairs and my mom stares at me and calls me paranoid, i only smirk and simply say Yes mother and go about doing what needs to be done in the loft. Everytime I go outside i OC my glock because i think of the meth heads that take shelter in the forests in montana that could possibly target my house for there drug habbits. So, Paranoid or Safe?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Better to be paranoid and alive than the alternative. I'm just curious, why do you have to lock and load every day? Shouldn't your gun be always locked and loaded for your family's sake?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Dont know, going by my old mans rules, when we are alseep he wants me to keep it unloaded... Still working on him
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Are you infringing upon someone elses rights? Making someone else fear for their safety? No? Then you are being cautions, not paranoid. Carry on and good luck with Dad
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Are you infringing upon someone elses rights? Making someone else fear for their safety? No? Then you are being cautions, not paranoid. Carry on and good luck with Dad
    I know... and Thanks. My Parents reality is.... Its Montana, what could possibly happen?

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Alright ever since i got home from basic this summer and had my father buy my handgun since im not 21 yet,
    Sounds like a textbook straw purchase to me

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Sounds like a textbook straw purchase to me
    Why leap to the conclusion that a father buying a handgun for his son is an illegal straw purchase? Cut a little slack here and ask some questions before rushing to judgement. In many states, firearm transfers (including handguns) among family members is perfectly legal.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Paranoid or Safe?
    Contradiction in terms.....or is it? Depends on what you put your faith in more....yourself, or others. Be safe even if others think you're paranoid. That way, there won't be any questions.

If nothing ever happens, then your paranoid.

If something happens, then you were prepared.

Take your pick. Personally, I'm paranoid enough to want to be prepared.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Why leap to the conclusion that a father buying a handgun for his son is an illegal straw purchase? Cut a little slack here and ask some questions before rushing to judgement. In many states, firearm transfers (including handguns) among family members is perfectly legal.
    It depends on if it was a gift or if guardmt gave his father the money to go buy it. Based on the phrasing (I... had my father buy my handgun since im not 21 yet) it sounds like it may constitute an illegal purchase. Federal law makes no distinction between buying for someone who can legally possess but not purchase a handgun, and buying for someone who can't legally possess a handgun. In fact, it expressly states that it doesn't matter if both parties ARE legally allowed to purchase the firearm. Either way, if the person paying for the firearm is not the person who is listed as the buyer on the 4473, it's a straw purchase.

ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide pg. 165
    In both instances, the straw purchaser violates Federal law by making false statements on Form 4473 to the licensee with respect to the identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm, as well as the actual purchaser's residence address and date of birth. The actual purchaser who utilized the straw purchaser to acquire a firearm has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of the false statements.
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

On the whole straw purchase thing...

How do you differentiate within family? Did I buy my wife a gun as a present, or did we do a straw purchase because she works and earned the cash for it? All the money is in the same pot. Or maybe she paid for MY gun, but had me make the purchase...hmmm...

This young soldier is living in his parents home. I'm sure that there are things he pays for and things his parents don't insist on him paying for. As loving parents, they probably get him presents and he, as a loving son, probably gets his parents presents. Exchanges of money within the family are so common and lacking in ties that this is a pretty tough sell for me.

Maybe you should prosecute his parents for having an illegal apartment because he pays them rent. Or maybe you could get them on tax evasion for failure to declare a business because they have a rental property that their son has paid on at some point in the past. Or another tax evasion because their son really paid "rent" but they called it a loan payment so they wouldn't have to declare the income, but then they made another mistake because they didn't declare the interest income on the "loan" that they collected payment on.

Sorry Soldier, any way you look at this, your SCREWED!

I'd call it being Safe...
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

What I got from the sentence I quoted was "I had dad buy the pistol because I couldn't legally do it" that's a straw purchase

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    On the whole straw purchase thing.how do you differentiate within family? Did I buy my wife a gun as a present, or did we do a straw purchase.
    I think the difference lies in making the purchase to get around the law

This is going to piss some more folks off so you may want to just skip this post altogether

Having read and re-read the OP I can’t fault him for simply carrying the gun there are a lot of people (including myself) on this forum who carry a gun at home.

What I take issue w/ is the overall tone of the OP

i got home from basic this summer and had my father buy my handgun since im not 21 yet,
    Sorry folks, sounds like straw to me

I come down the stairs and my mom stares at me and calls me paranoid, i only smirk and simply say Yes mother and go about doing what needs to be done in the loft.
    Moms expresses concern and instead of explaining his reasoning the OP “simply smirks” at mom and goes about his business. Tell us OP what would you have done if your mother forbade you to carry the gun at home?

Maybe I’m reading more into the OP than is there, maybe the OP isn’t communicating effectively but I get the overall sense, from reading the OP, of a kid who’s carrying his ego around in a holster

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    This is going to piss some more folks off so you may want to just skip this post altogether

Having read and re-read the OP I can’t fault him for simply carrying the gun there are a lot of people (including myself) on this forum who carry a gun at home.

What I take issue w/ is the overall tone of the OP

Sorry folks, sounds like straw to me

Moms expresses concern and instead of explaining his reasoning the OP “simply smirks” at mom and goes about his business. Tell us OP what would you have done if your mother forbade you to carry the gun at home?

Maybe I’m reading more into the OP than is there, maybe the OP isn’t communicating effectively but I get the overall sense, from reading the OP, of a kid who’s carrying his ego around in a holster

There is no straw purchase. Dad is the true purchaser of the firearm and what is recorded on ATF form 4473.
    Even if a private transfer of the firearm takes place at a latter date, dad remains the purchaser. Only dads name, disposition and the firearm serial number is recorded in the Dealers bound book. The ATF form 4473 is kept by the dealer for 20 years.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I get the overall sense, from reading the OP, of a kid who’s carrying his ego around in a holster
    Allow me to cosign and endorse this observation. Also, in my book, young men who smirk at their mothers ought to be ejected from the home ASAP and told to rent their own apartment and do their own laundry and make their own meals, etc.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links