Kinda odd LEO behavior on traffic stop

This is a discussion on Kinda odd LEO behavior on traffic stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day I was driving down a gravel road, heading home from visiting my folks. Driving along, as I crest a hill I see ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kinda odd LEO behavior on traffic stop

Kinda odd LEO behavior on traffic stop

The other day I was driving down a gravel road, heading home from visiting my folks. Driving along, as I crest a hill I see a speed limit sign that says 25 mph...ok, start slowing down. Obviously I don't jam on the brakes on a dry gravel road. Towards the bottom of the hill is a county deputy who immediately pulls me over after I pass him. He walks up to the window and asks why I was driving so fast (he said 40mph on radar) in a populated neighborhood.

Now "Populated" isn't exactly the term I'd use for 3 houses in a 1 mile stretch of gravel road 5 miles from ANY town.

Prior to the speed sign I was going the speed limit for unimproved roads in SD which is 55mph. I felt it was not in my best interest to drop 30mph in a 50 foot stretch while traveling downhill on a gravel road.

Anyways...he asks for license, reg, proof of insurance. I give him all that plus my carry permit. Immediately he asks "Why are you carrying a gun today?". My response is "I carry everyday, it's my right to do so."

The officer then tells me "Pull out your gun." I plainly state that I'd rather not lay hands on my gun while he is present. So I inform him where it is on my body and if he chooses to disarm me then that's fine.

The officer asks me then to lift my cover garment enough so he may disarm me. I do so and he takes my xd9sc back to his car. He comes back with a written warning for the speeding. Then hands me the 1 round from the chamber, empty gun with slide locked back, and magazine and says I can reload after he leaves.

Right before he walks back to his car he says "you better come up with a better reason than "it's my right to do so." or you'll end up with my gun in your ear."

What the heck?
    Last edited by OlsenG360; September 9th, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: grammar hates me

2. Remove Ads

Wierd. You could just shorten your answer to, "I carry everyday" and leave it at that. If asked why, just say, "Self defense...too much stuff on the news these days."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

This LEO was a Un-professional JERK that needs to be reported for threatening Physical harm to you for exercising your rights. Better yet LEOs that act like this give a bad name to Good LEOs so this one needs to loose his job.

Idiots are not categorized by occupation.

...and yet people say that informing is "courteous".
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

I would be in the Sheriffs office signing a formal complaint,I don't care if hes got a badge or not,he just threatened you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    I'm with the silent minority, unless required by law.
    Per the US Supreme Court, there is no law prohibiting a cop from being a jerk.
    95 out of 100 will be glad you offered the info, I don't want to find out who the other 5% are.

His ending remark, was out of line to say the least, but atleast he didn't prone you out, call for back up, rub your nose in the gravel. I'd say you did alright. You got out of it with your permit, your gun, and a warning. However, I would probably call his superior and let them know of his remark. The badge doesn't give him the right to go around threatening to stick his gun in your ear (or anyone else's). You don't owe him a "reason" for carrying, and I'd tell his superior that too.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

drw
    In MN you don't have to inform, so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by OlsenG360 View Post

Right before he walks back to his car he says "you better come up with a better reason than "it's my right to do so." or you'll end up with my gun in your ear."

What the heck?
    That would draw an immediate complaint from me to that jackasses superiors. In the form of a phone call, a letter and most likely a personal visit. And if that didn't get an apology from him to me, I would be creaming the story to every TV, Radio and Print reporter I could get into contact with. That is exactly the kind of attitude that needs to be eradicated in law enforcement. "Because it is your right" is quite enough of an answer for him or anyone else.

I hope you spoke to someone about that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Damn! We should hold him down and feed him ice cream until he throws up! That'll teach the obnoxious SOB! SD must be doing OK if they can post radars in the middle of nowhere. Wonder how he came about that assignment?

Reminds me of a time about 45 years ago when a CHP tears into my dad's gas station sliding to a stop blocking 2 pump lanes. He starts screaming at a driver he followed in there and after the initial barrage, Dad askes him to move his car to open the lanes. He tears into Dad with all kinds of abusive language.

Dad gets a bit hot but just stands there silent for a minute, then goes to the office and calls his buddy who is the District Manager (or whatever they called the CHP boss) and told him what was going down. He asks Dad to tell the guy to come to the phone and Dad did which gave the guy an immediate change in demeanor. After a couple minutes, the LEO hands Dad the phone and the boss guy assures Dad the LEO will be patrolling Mojave the next week. It wasn't the first incident.

Now I didn't just hear about this, I was standing next to Dad and that's how it went down. Dad got angry but didn't say anything to the hot head. I asked him about the pause after the LEO yelled at him and he said he was trying to think of any reason not to report him. But I know he derived emense satisfaction at the outcome. Over dinner that night, after repeating the story to Mom, he said that he truly hoped the guy would learn from this and become a good cop. That was how my Dad operated and what he taught me through his actions.

We see where courtesy gets you. How many time on this forum have you read where someone (out of courtesy, when they were not required by law), informed a LEO by handing them their CHP or verbally, and then they got the 3rd degree from a LEO who was having a bad day or just has a rotten attitude?

If you are in a state where when they run your tag it flags on their computer that you are a CHP holder... that is what it says. It doesn't flash up in big red letters CRIMINAL WITH A CARRY PERMIT. So why should you have to inform him. Law abiding citizen with a CHP who he stopped for a traffic violation does not equal felon and does not deserve to be hassled. If the LEO's that have this system had any brains to go with it, they would realize that. Unless you've committed a crime since you got your CHP, or unless he has suspicion that you've just committed a crime, it shouldn't make any difference that you have a CHP.

If it is not a MUST INFORM state, then keep your mouth shut. If he has nothing but a traffic violation, he will either write you a ticket or let you go on a warning. If his computer lets him know you have a permit, he either could care less or he will ask you if you are carrying (so he can hassle you probably). If he asks why you didn't tell him, politely let him know that it is not required by state law and that he is in no danger from you, so you felt it wasn't necessary. If he hassles you, file a complaint with his supervisor.

rant off.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    I say ignornace is bliss.
    I'd rather NOT be required to inform......so long as it stays holstered it's not a threat, so why should the LEO even need to know? Eh....unfortunately the lawmakers here disagree

What the heck?
    Terroristic threatening at it's finest. Honestly, I'd do more than complain.
    Last edited by Tala; September 9th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I'd say at a minimum a conversation with the Police Chief may be in order. I would think he would like to try to avoid any legal action for the threat and any bad publicity that would result. Of course, I could be wrong. You just never know in a small town. They could deny it completely and then it could possibly lead to more hassles in your future. You know your area better than I.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    or you'll end up with my gun in your ear" was not professional at all . In any case, I think that saying it's my right to do so does not sound very nice.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links