What is it with all the LEO threads?

This is a discussion on What is it with all the LEO threads? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if I am stepping on toes here, but what the heck is it with all the LEO encounter threads lately? It seems like over ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sorry if I am stepping on toes here, but what the heck is it with all the LEO encounter threads lately? It seems like over the past couple of weeks or so there has been an increased number of threads, most of them end up being a bash the LEO by the time it is all said and done.

Folks are questioning whether or not the LEO should be asking certain questions during the stop, or whether or not the LEO was nice enough during the encounter, or if the LEO was ate up with himself or mad about something that occured earlier in the day.

I honestly don't get a lot of this.

First of all, if everyone did what they were supposed to and didn't speed, or run stop signs, or had the proper registration, or you name it, you wouldn't find yourself in contact with the LEO.

Second, the statements have been made that LEO's should act more professionally since they are law enforcement and they should be held to a higher standard of behavior. HELLO FOLKS, AREN'T WE CHL HOLDERS SUPPOSED TO HOLD OURSELVES TO HIGHER STANDARDS THAN THE AVERAGE JOE. If you want to hold their feet to the fire, then everyone go in the bathroom, look in the mirror and tell yourself to act more responsibly because you have taken on the responsibilty of carrying a weapon every day. Stop doing stupid, dangerous or other things that are against the law that make you come into contact with the LEO's.

Thirdly, this is Defensive Carry. There is nothing that coming into contact with a LEO has anything to do with defensive carry. Coming into contact with a LEO is a carry issue, but only to the extent that we all act with caution and follow our state laws in regards to notifying the LEO about our carry, or that we keep our hands in view etc.

Fourth, these LEO encounter threads are becoming about as interesting as what do you do with your gun when you go to the crapper. It gets old after about 10 go arounds.

Ok, off of the soap box. Let the flaming begin.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

drw
    I have to agree with most of your post, I don't read most of the LEO encounter threads anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Thirdly, this is Defensive Carry. There is nothing that coming into contact with a LEO has anything to do with defensive carry. Coming into contact with a LEO is a carry issue, but only to the extent that we all act with caution and follow our state laws in regards to notifying the LEO about our carry, or that we keep our hands in view etc.
    This is a VERY big issue; we don't unconceal for anyone else and it has to be done VERY carefully so as not to present a threat. Just displaying a firearm can be construed as using deadly force in some circumstances yet just about every contact with a LEO requires us to unconceal. That alone means the interaction is special and potentially dangerous. People writing about it are 1) relieved that they were able to survive the interaction without harm and 2) they like to have their status as "special people" confirmed by an authority figure.

VIP Member
    I don't know that there have been that many more encounter threads lately. There have always been those since I joined. Perhaps it is just that to old hands such as yourself they seem to be more prevalent.

I also agree that there are definite ways to avoid LEO encounters and most people refuse to grasp this. However, sometimes things happen. Everyone gets stupid from time to time.

Also, while you may feel that these threads are pointless and rehashed material, you must remember that you have been here for several years. For the newer members it is new, fresh and informative.

I respectfully suggest that if you are not interested in a particular thread, hit your back-page and move on to another. How about another thread about somebody's new GLOCK?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I would say coming into contact with law enforcement while carrying, especially if the officer has some kind of weird and over exaggerated negative response to the person carrying is a very big concern and very well deserves to be pointed out and discussed here. The police officers out there patrolling have a lot of power and authority and some of them don't think we, the little people who aren't LEO, don't need and should not be carrying a gun for the protection of our own pitiful lives. And it needs to be pointed out when one of them is discovered that feels this way.

Personally, I have never understood why any police officer would have a problem with someone going through the proper legal channels to get a permit to carry a defensive sidearm. Obviously, someone who does all that is needed to get the permit in their state is not going to be your average criminal. We are on their side. But some LEO's don't seem to get this fact. If they are afraid of everyone who has a gun, even if that person belongs to the most law abiding sector of the population as permit holders tend to be, then I believe it is time for them to find employment that doesn't put them on edge so badly. They can't be effective enforcers of the law if they spend their entire shift afraid of every permit holder they may come into contact with.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I would like to point out that it's a very big concern to someone who is new to carrying.
    Fact is that 99% of the population will never know someone is carrying, but you have to ANNOUNCE it to the LEO whether or not you really want to and their reaction could go either way.
    Hearing when it goes well helps out the newbies or guests on the forum, even if it's pretty mundane to people who've been there, done that, and got the T-shirt.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Yeah, there are a lot of LEO encounter threads. I was noticing the same thing. But in all reality, we are probably more likely to run into a LEO while armed, than a BG. So while some of the LEO threads may seem redundant or just too numerous in general, the topic is of vital interest to citizens who CCW.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Ahhhh....the power of the back button.

....use it.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

I just don't open the threads that don't interest me. Whether it's the 900th "I got a new Glock 19 today and it looks like every other Glock 19 ever made" or "LEO encounter went smooth, no issues." I just skip right over them and go for the threads that interest me. Just what I do. I do find some of the LEO threads interesting though, but they're usually not the "everything went smooth" variety.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sorry if I am stepping on toes here, but what the heck is it with all the LEO encounter threads lately? It seems like over the past couple of weeks or so there has been an increased number of threads, most of them end up being a bash the LEO by the time it is all said and done.

Folks are questioning whether or not the LEO should be asking certain questions during the stop, or whether or not the LEO was nice enough during the encounter, or if the LEO was ate up with himself or mad about something that occured earlier in the day.

First of all, if everyone did what they were supposed to and didn't speed, or run stop signs, or had the proper registration, or you name it, you wouldn't find yourself in contact with the LEO.

Second, the statements have been made that LEO's should act more professionally since they are law enforcement and they should be held to a higher standard of behavior. HELLO FOLKS, AREN'T WE CHL HOLDERS SUPPOSED TO HOLD OURSELVES TO HIGHER STANDARDS THAN THE AVERAGE JOE. If you want to hold their feet to the fire, then everyone go in the bathroom, look in the mirror and tell yourself to act more responsibly because you have taken on the responsibilty of carrying a weapon every day. Stop doing stupid, dangerous or other things that are against the law that make you come into contact with the LEO's.

Fourth, these LEO encounter threads are becoming about as interesting as what do you do with your gun when you go to the crapper. It gets old after about 10 go arounds.

Well said.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Perhaps in posting them, assuming one posts an accurate story, people are seeking critique on how *they* handled the situation. There was some critique on mine and I gladly accept it and filed it away in case I ever find myself in a similar situation.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Why the concern? Well...

1 - The CCW instructor (ex-cop) I had discussed in class when he was pulled over for speeding and got a face full of gun when he informed the cop he was carrying. He also was given conflicting instructions on what to do - "Hand it over! Don't move!"

2 - A CCW permittee was shot exiting Costco in Las Vegas. While there are different stories about what happened, none of the witnesses claim the guy was exiting the store with gun in hand when the cops confronted him. By every account I've seen, he was exiting calmly when 3 cops with guns pulled started giving him orders. There are multiple accounts of what happened next, but I have a hard time believing a West Point grad tried to pull a gun and shoot 3 cops who already had their guns drawn. The inquest should be in a few weeks...

3 - Not all states have the same law. Some require you to volunteer the info, some do not. Who has tried what and the results are of interest to some of us new to concealed carry.

4 - Not all stops are caused by bad behavior. Ever hear of checkpoints? And my last traffic stop was for doing 5 mph over on the Interstate - which made me the slowest car in miles. Not exactly wild and crazy behavior...

Besides, I don't like semi-automatics, so I skip all the threads about what ammo feeds well...

Well Said!!
    NO FLAMING from me I agree with all of what you have said!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

It does seem so. It is a bit amusing to see the frequent suggestions to "lawyer up" over a perceived bad attitude shown by a cop. No ticket or citation, off with just a warning. But the cop was rude and unprofesional and he needs to lose his job.

Second, the statements have been made that LEO's should act more professionally since they are law enforcement and they should be held to a higher standard of behavior. HELLO FOLKS, AREN'T WE CHL HOLDERS SUPPOSED TO HOLD OURSELVES TO HIGHER STANDARDS THAN THE AVERAGE JOE.
    everyone in the miltary is told because you are in the military you should act more professional because you're held at a higher standard. but we still get bad apples from time to time. no one is perfect. and just like with CC'ing and being a cop, you're always gonna get people who slip on on occasion and break the minor rules on accident. i've gotten my fair share of letters of counceling in the military for minor infractions. that doesn't make me a bad person. because i was late to work once. or i missed an important appointment. stuff happens. just because you get caught speeding at 5 over doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    4 - Not all stops are caused by bad behavior. Ever hear of checkpoints? And my last traffic stop was for doing 5 mph over on the Interstate - which made me the slowest car in miles. Not exactly wild and crazy behavior....
    this is true. the last time i was pulled over, i was in an unfamiliar area at night and made a wrong turn. ended up at a dead end in a park. a cop was sitting there and he followed me out. apparently i made an illegal right hand turn on red a little later.. there was no sign though. the intersection is kinda weird. and after talking to him i can see why it maybe dangerous to make a right turn there. i didn't get a ticket becasue there was no sign and i was very polite during the whole ordeal. like bsms said, not exactly dangerous bahavior. just had an unfortunate event.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links