Quick question on travel to New Jersey...

This is a discussion on Quick question on travel to New Jersey... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to attend a wedding in NJ this weekend. I know I can't carry in NJ but can I leave my gun locked in ...

Thread: Quick question on travel to New Jersey...

I have to attend a wedding in NJ this weekend. I know I can't carry in NJ but can I leave my gun locked in a case in the car while staying in the hotel? I will be spending some time in Philly on Saturday and I can carry in PA.

I have a NY resident permit and out of state permits from Florida and Utah. Thanks all for the help!

Umm thatís a little complicated.
    Thereís a decent amount of grey area about keeping a gun in your car. I'm not sure if itís the law but from what I have heard some cops will give you a pain in the ass, and possible other legal repercussions about have a gun in the car and not going directly from your home to the range, hunting groups, etc.
    First off the gun must be in the trunk and unload and the ammo must be up front (such as glove box) DO NOT KEEP THE GUN AND THE AMMO TOGETHER OR THE GUN UP FRONT, itís a big no no in NJ and can get you screwed.umm what else...and no hollow points just in case its a kinda sketchy area in NJ. I think I may have covered everything.
    and I'm sorry If i missed anything or screwed anything up I'm not 100% sure about it all seeing as I only put and keep my guns in the car to get to the range or go hunting.

I've got the same problem. I'm flying to PA, but have to spend a few days in NJ at the begining and end of the trip. After a careful read of both states' laws. I concluded that I have to leave the gun home even though my FL permit would be good in PA. Even leaving it disassembled in your car could be a violation.

If you do not have a permit to carry in NJ . . . (short pause to allow laughter) your gun should not be there. You may pass through without ANY stops except gas and perhaps food but nothing else.

Thanks all for the info. I guess I leave it locked up at home while I'm gone. It's going to do a lot of good there...(.sarcasm).... especially this weekend being 9/11 and I'll be in Philly near some national monuments.

I now know how frustrated people are when they come to NYS. I don't think about it because I live here with an unrestricted permit. When will we ever get everyone on the same page.... (insert laughter here).

You cannot keep the ammo in the glove box. Both the gun and the ammo must be inaccessible to the driver. You must have the ammo in a separate container separated from the gun. You can't even have the magazine loaded.
    As a New Jersey resident, my suggestion is to not bother carrying if you're going to new jersey. It's not worth the trouble... You can always ignore the law and take a chance, just like the criminals do, but I don't recommend it.

The State Of NJ dpesn't garantee your 2nd A Rights............one of our Supreme Court Judges said that a short time ago...................NJ doesn't even want LEO's from other states carrying under the Patriot Act to bring thier guns here as they have no LE powers in NJ. Even most of the police and DA's are unclear about the Jersey Firearms Statutes........IMO, Pathetic at best.

VIP Member

Angry Re: NJ

Check out: http://www.anjrpc.org/?ANJRPC_sues_PortAuth

Gregg Revell, a real estate broker and family man with no criminal record and a Utah firearms permit, was flying alone from Salt Lake City, UT to Allentown, PA to retrieve a car he bought and drive it home. He was travelling with a firearm for personal protection. As required by Federal law, the firearm was unloaded, cased, locked and inside his luggage when he declared it at check-in in Salt Lake City on March 31, 2005.

Due to an airline-caused baggage error, Mr. Revell missed his connection from Newark to Allentown and had to stay overnight in New Jersey. When he checked in at Newark Airport the next morning to complete his travels, he again declared his firearm, as required by FAA regulations. He was then arrested for possession of a firearm without a New Jersey state license, and imprisoned in Essex County jail for five days until his family arranged bail,
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Do NOT bring your pistol here. The only legal way for an out-of-stater to have a pistol here is if he/she is passing through the state per federal law (empty, boxed and locked in trunk.)
    If you are stopping or staying here...other than for gas/meal as you pass through...you're committing a felony.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    I have to attend a wedding in NJ this weekend. I know I can't carry in NJ but can I leave my gun locked in a case in the car while staying in the hotel? I will be spending some time in Philly on Saturday and I can carry in PA.

I have a NY resident permit and out of state permits from Florida and Utah. Thanks all for the help!
    If you're able to stay in a hotel on the PA side, then you can leave it in the hotel. Otherwise, you're taking a chance.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I have arrived in NJ feeling naked... that is not having my gun with. I didn't realize how close PA was to where I'm at so I could have stayed on the PA side. Oh well, live and learn. I will just have to raise my observation of everything around me.

Sponsored Links