Quick question for LEOs

Quick question for LEOs

This is a discussion on Quick question for LEOs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning a motorcycle trip for a few days where I'll be checking in on some remote properties (also known as "Range time!"). Now I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Quick question for LEOs

I'm planning a motorcycle trip for a few days where I'll be checking in on some remote properties (also known as "Range time!").

Now I'm required to disclose what I'm carrying if I'm pulled over, and have never had a problem disclosing my primary and bug. However, I'm feeling funny about the thought of having to explain why I have an additional 5 or 7 more handguns in my saddle bags.

I know technically that I'm clean no matter how many, but I'm starting to re-think how many that I bring, simply because I don't want to flag myself for detailed scrutiny. So, if you pull over a 6' 225lb scruffy-looking dude on a Harley with a clean record, CWP and about 9 handguns, would you be tempted to detain him for a little while?

I'm not a LEO, but I definitely would like to see how that stop would go. I would guess you would be detained and trying to explain 9 firearms.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Senior Moderator
    I would ask what you are doing with 9 handguns. If you gave me a satisfactory answer, then there would be no reason for keeping you any longer than necessary.

You ought to see me when I go to the range. I might have over 10k worth of firearms with me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm not an LEO, but I think they would handle the same as anytime someone gets pulled over going to a range or whatever. If everything is on the up and up and you are honest with them, I don't think it should be an issue. If you tell them you have a CWP and the handguns if you get pulled over, I would think that would indicate that you probably aren't a 1%er running guns. I would think you wouldn't be detained any longer than a normal traffic stop to run a back ground check.

Of course, if you obey all traffic laws, it shouldn't really be an issue.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Tell him you have an octopus in the other saddle bag and the other 8 handguns are his.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Tell him you have an octopus in the other saddle bag and the other 8 handguns are his.
    Sadly, I have a tendancy to say stuff like that. It's taken me many years to learn that very few appreciate my sense of humor...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    ... would you be tempted to detain him for a little while?
    Only to shoot the breeze about guns and bikes for a bit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ROfL, that made my day
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

LMAO! That was hilarious. Well done!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the responses, folks (particularly HotGuns & SIXTO). I think I'll go for it. I'm sure I'll be talking to the popo at some point, not because I've done anything wrong, but because I'll be accessing property that people aren't used to seeing anyone access, so someone usually phones me in.

I'll be bringing my laptop and camera too, so I might post my groupings and examples of how to make a Harley behave like a dirt bike .

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Just tell the cop that you are rehearsing for a bit part on "Sons of Anarchy". Just the type of scene you don't want.

Well-played, sir.

Seriously though. Unless you get a cop who's having a bad day or is very anti-gun, I can't really see it being a problem as long as you're honest and polite.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    Seriously though. Unless you get a cop who's having a bad day or is very anti-gun, I can't really see it being a problem as long as you're honest and polite.
    The reality of it is, he is in South Carolina. If he were riding though say, Detroit or Baltimore or NYC, he would more than likely get a different response.

Here's a scenario...

Driving through any city that is known to be hostile gun ownership. Maybe you can own a gun there, but you have to jump through 2 years of hoops, or have an FOID or know the governor or something stupid like that just to get it.

He gets stopped for doing 45 in a 35 because he has missed the sign saying 45 and other than that,nothing has seemed to change. Rookie cop steps up and in the conversation he is made aware that the WHEC724 is carrying at least two gun on his person. The rookie cop doesn't seen many people carrying, he has never really encountered any because its just not something that people seem to care about. and about the only people that he encounters carrying guns are bad guys. Rookie cop sort of gets his mind blown when he gets told that there are another half dozens guns in various places on the motorcycle. Now he is wondering if this big ole scruffy looking biker dude is coming from a burglary or something, because he has never encountered anyone with that many guns, and why?

Just to be sure, and because he is trying to be thorough in his duties, he calls up his supervisor. Since his supervisor cant really tell whats what over the phone, he comes on over to check things out. So,, in the mean time Rookie officer calls the Dispatcher, runs the DL, and registration just like he always does and he asks if there have been any recent burglaries or gun thefts over the line because this biker has a lot of guns. Now,Rookies buddy that is patrolling his own segment of the city just a few blocks over is just driving around, he hears this over the radio and he decides to head that way "just in case".

In a matter of minutes, there are 3 cops behind WHEC724 and he is wondering what the heck is going on. Passerbys see a big burly biker being surrounded by 3 cops and all sorts of things are going through their heads.

Just to be on the safe side, they ask for his guns that the serial numbers can be run on them. WHEC724, gives his up so that they can do that, and they move him to the back of the car to separate him from the guns.They may retrieve the guns in the saddle bags to be safe, and WHEC724, having absolutely nothing to hid, gives his permission to do so.

Now, you can see where location makes a difference. The responding officer can make a difference. The Shift Commander can make a difference. The fact that a local pawn shop had a truck driven though it doors at 2AM and 100 guns were stolen 3 weeks ago makes a difference.

So...now what happens?

I've shown how there are sooooo many variables to consider in a situation like this and any one of them can change or determine a whole scenario. Its just something to think about. What may be standard operation in one district may be frowned on in another district.In parts of Chicago I am told that the police respond to any traffic stop with their guns in their hand. If a cop around here did that, it would make the front paper and he wouldn't be doing it but once unless he could justify it with other reasons. Does that make it wrong? No it does not because the circumstances are different in both places.

Thats why these sorts of discussions sometimes seem to have contradictory responses. We have people from all 50 states represented here and the opinions and dealing with the cops in their areas can be very different.
    What Sixto does in Ohio, is liable to be very different where I operate in Podunk Arkansas. Me and Sixto might want to talk guns if we stopped you and everything checked out.Others might hook you up and let the lawyers sort it out because thats the normal mode of operation where they are located.

It sucks, but that is the way it is.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I say take all you want and can carry. be polite and non confrontational with LEO and up front and you should be OK.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I few years back I was transferring from San Diego to Mississippi. I had already drove my jeep down and flown back for my Harley. I got tired of the interstate and decided to take some back roads. I was towing a Bush Tech trailer with all my guns. I figured it would be more secure than a soft top Jeep, plus I camped everynight rather than getting a hotel. I pulled over in east Texas for a break and a plain clothes police officer pulled over when he saw me stopped. We chatted for a while and I asked him about a few different routes. He asked if I had a map and told me he would show me some good roads. I told him I have an atlas in the trailer and there were several guns in the trailer. He said thats o.k. grab the map. I did and he showed me some senic roads and continued to talk about riding and now guns. I have to admit there were a few wild out comes running through my mind. He never even asked for ID or anything. I guess he was enjoying a little break also.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links