Carrying Through Multiple States

This is a discussion on Carrying Through Multiple States within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I live in Wabash IN and have a lifetime concealed carry permit (non-LEO). My little brother lives in Boston MA and will be getting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Through Multiple States

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Carrying Through Multiple States

Hello,

I live in Wabash IN and have a lifetime concealed carry permit (non-LEO).

My little brother lives in Boston MA and will be getting married early next year. He has asked me to be one of the groomsmen.

It looks like carrying in MA is out - I will not do it illegally, and I figure a Spyderco combat folder I've trained with extensively and carried for almost 15 years will suffice.

He was talking about taking a trip to VT prior to the wedding if possible, so that will be a refreshing change.

However, Google Earth has me passing through Ohio, New York State (though IIRC, no New York City), but no Washington D.C. - my parents tend to pass through there when they go.

From what I can tell, if I have a gun in my possession in MA, I might need some sort of idiotic FOID card???

Anyway, if ya'll can help me figure out where I can/can't carry, maybe enter Wabash IN to Boston MA into Google or another map engine, give me some guidelines as to when I have to disarm and how to store, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

2. Remove Ads

Go to Handgunlaw.com. It will give you all the info you will need on the the states that you will be crossing. I reference it often before I travel.
    Semper Fi

That is handgunlaw.us.Sorry.
    Semper Fi

I just drove from NC to TX to pick up a car. I googled GA Handgun laws, etc... for each state I went through. I then took a copy with me in a cheap school binder. Do your own homework, don't trust what you read on a internet gun forum.
    Have a good trip.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

cmb
    I reference the same site and go to each individual states website with their own statutes to verify about a week before I go to ensure nothing has changed...

In the general vicinity of your route, NJ and MA pose the greatest risks for carrying your weapons, but I see no reason to go through NJ. MA is a bit of a wildcard, but if the gun is inoperable (e.g., slide off the frame), locked in its own lockable box and stored in the trunk with ammo carried similarly nd separately, you should be alright. VT of course is no problem if you're a law-abiding US resident.

Perhaps your greatest risk is once you've reached your destination in MA, what do you do with your gun? If you bring it into a private residence, that may create problems of a statutory nature, and leaving it in the car is not ideal from a theft standpoint. Let's hear some DC members from MA weigh in, here.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I live in Maine and travel to my in-laws in Rhode Island, I have to get a Class A LTC from Mass to carry in the car! My application is in and will do the interview at the end of this month. It costs $100 a YEAR!! I am doing it because my wife is a psychiatrist, treats drug seekers, and violent patients from all over the New England States! Between the 6 states (ME, MA, RI, NH, VT, & CT) I have to have 5 different permits to carry! Course having a MA permit is better than getting caught with any gun, which in MA carries a mandatory 1 YEAR IN JAIL!! Don't run the risk at all my friend!! It is a totally anti-gun state and I would not live there if I were paid.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Josh,

Leave your firearms home and have a good time at the wedding...

~Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In the general vicinity of your route, NJ and MA pose the greatest risks for carrying your weapons, but I see no reason to go through NJ. MA is a bit of a wildcard, but if the gun is inoperable (e.g., slide off the frame), locked in its own lockable box and stored in the trunk with ammo carried similarly nd separately, you should be alright. VT of course is no problem if you're a law-abiding US resident.

Perhaps your greatest risk is once you've reached your destination in MA, what do you do with your gun? If you bring it into a private residence, that may create problems of a statutory nature, and leaving it in the car is not ideal from a theft standpoint. Let's hear some DC members from MA weigh in, here.
    I lived in Ma most my life and now live in NH. DON'T bring your guns as Ma is VERY Anti gun.....You risk a LOT of troubles if you stay overnight, or several nights in Ma with your guns in the trunk, or in your room.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Slide off the gun or in 100 pieces will buy you NOTHING in MA. You are still subject to a felony conviction and a nice vacation in one of their prisons for 12 months or so.

FOPA defines what you can do legally and how, read it, print it out and carry it anywhere you travel with firearms.

NOTE: FOPA says you must be LEGAL at your point of origin AND at your DESTINATION. A "destination" is ANYWHERE you are stopping for MORE THAN food/bathroom/gas!!

Since you are using MA as one of your "destinations", FOPA will NOT protect you even in any state you are traveling thru (e.g. NJ)!

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I lived in Ma most my life and now live in NH. DON'T bring your guns as Ma is VERY Anti gun.....You risk a LOT of troubles if you stay overnight, or several nights in Ma with your guns in the trunk, or in your room.
    This is your best advice right here.

MA NR LTC is the ONLY way that you would be legal in MA with firearms/ammo/mags (yes even a spent shell casing will put you in jail). And you have to take a MA-specific course AND pay $100/year for that privilege. The process takes multiple months and you MUST pay a personal visit to Chelsea, MA in order to process your application (by appointment), then you receive your RESTRICTED (no CCW) NR LTC about 1 month later in the US Mail.

Leave it home and rely on a folding knife. BTW: OC is also illegal in MA w/o that same permit.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php this can help plan a trip but not to MA

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Slide off the gun or in 100 pieces will buy you NOTHING in MA. You are still subject to a felony conviction and a nice vacation in one of their prisons for 12 months or so.

FOPA defines what you can do legally and how, read it, print it out and carry it anywhere you travel with firearms.

NOTE: FOPA says you must be LEGAL at your point of origin AND at your DESTINATION. A "destination" is ANYWHERE you are stopping for MORE THAN food/bathroom/gas!!

Since you are using MA as one of your "destinations", FOPA will NOT protect you even in any state you are traveling thru (e.g. NJ)!

This is your best advice right here.

MA NR LTC is the ONLY way that you would be legal in MA with firearms/ammo/mags (yes even a spent shell casing will put you in jail). And you have to take a MA-specific course AND pay $100/year for that privilege. The process takes multiple months and you MUST pay a personal visit to Chelsea, MA in order to process your application (by appointment), then you receive your RESTRICTED (no CCW) NR LTC about 1 month later in the US Mail.

Leave it home and rely on a folding knife. BTW: OC is also illegal in MA w/o that same permit.
    THANKS LEN! You're the Guy who knows best, as you're a resident in the State, and are right on top of all the ongoing things in Mass. Hope the OP takes your advice, as you and I know it's pretty tough in your State. BTW I'll tell you about a slight encounter I had in Ma, a couple yrs back when you are at the store.

Thank you very much folks.

No OC even? That's just a bit nuts IMHO.

The folder it is.

Thanks again,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Thank you very much folks.

No OC even? That's just a bit nuts IMHO.

The folder it is.

Thanks again,

Josh
    Josh
    check the knife laws for mass, as there's a blade length restirction..just a little more info so you don't get into a snag.....If you're flying into logan Airport, there's planty of Ma State Police to enforce their laws......if you're going into Boston/Manchester Nh airport....well then you're in NH and our laws are next to nothing.
    When you're geting ready to come this way, shoot me a message, and I'll send you some info for your trip, for Boston, NH, VT and Maine so you can enjoy the area. I live in Southern Nh near the state line. I also work at this place--->..WWW.KTP.Com part time of course..

Thank you very much.

I'll be driving, and I could avoid most problems, if the destination weren't the biggest problem.

Heck, I'd be good with throwing a Mosin-Nagant (or, preferably, an M38 for size) in the back and just depending upon it.

Maybe I've been spoiled in Indiana: I can walk down the street with an unconcealed gun on my hip (with a license to carry, of course - for life) and a loaded rifle slung on my back (the law is silent here, so it's legal - folks do it).

I just can't see God-given freedoms being restricted by a government that much. I think I'd resort to things best not talked about should Indiana become that way.

To the contrary though, they've been relaxing their gun laws. Since around 2000, we've been able to carry into bars and such, and even drink while armed. There is nothing in the law to prohibit this.

The State seems to trust us to use our sense, and we do not let our legislature down by doing stupid things - like getting drunk while armed.

Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links