Apperantly you can carry in a police station in WA

This is a discussion on Apperantly you can carry in a police station in WA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to file a fraud report due to unauthorized debit card activity from a gift card place in England for the amount of $397.31, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I had to file a fraud report due to unauthorized debit card activity from a gift card place in England for the amount of $397.31, and when the officer came to file my report I told him that I have a concealed pistol license and I need to check my side arm at the desk. I already had my wallet in my hands before the officer came, so I wouldn't have to reach into my pockets and started to pull out my CPL. I didn't need to do so.

He then said "It's not a secured area, you don't need to check it". I was actually surprised that he didn't seem to really care that I was armed in a police station, but I did notice that after I alerted him to the fact that I was armed, he made sure that he observed all of my actions and if I was reaching for anything. He also had his hand within the proximity of his weapon at all times. (understandable). While he was completely professional, it still felt weird carrying a weapon inside of a police station.

Same in MA.

I have and regularly do carry in cop houses often including into the chiefs office.
    But key is I'm always concealed so it's not like anyone would know anyway.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's even more fun to open carry in a police station! (Well, State Trooper's office.) Been there, done that, they didn't have any t-shirts.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

RCW 9.41.300
    Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

Same in NH

Quote Originally Posted by cplguy View Post
    They get a bit bummed, here in the Portland area. While it doesn't appear to be against any state statute, the officers themselves get highly cranky if people are found to be carrying. The facility where FOF/fighting is done has a "secure" zone, beyond which carrying of any weapons or sharp objects may not be done (for obvious reasons, in a FOF facility). Can't carry into the courthouse, by statute. Can carry into police precincts, apparently, but the area LEO's get upset in "their" house.

Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    RCW 9.41.300

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for ...
    That's pretty clear. If the Portland area law enforcement folks are so direct in their refusal to allow armed citizens in "their" areas, I wish the legislature would craft something this direct and easy to understand. No questions, then.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

same in tenn. if they dont post it

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's a rarity indeed. I do find it sort of odd that after you voluntarily informed him and offered to secure your firearm he because so--cautious.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Same in Utah as well. I am seeing a pattern here.

76-8-311.1. Secure areas -- Items prohibited -- Penalty.
    (1) In addition to the definitions in Section 76-10-501, as used in this section:
    (a) "Correctional facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-8-311.3.
    (b) "Explosive" has the same meaning as defined for "explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" defined in Section 76-10-306.
    (c) "Law enforcement facility" means a facility which is owned, leased, or operated by a law enforcement agency.
    (d) "Mental health facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 62A-15-602.
    (e) (i) "Secure area" means any area into which certain persons are restricted from transporting any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
    (ii) A "secure area" may not include any area normally accessible to the public.
    (2) (a) A person in charge of a correctional, law enforcement, or mental health facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
    (b) Subsections (2)(a), (3), (4), (5), and (6) apply to higher education secure area hearing rooms referred to in Subsections 53B-3-103(2)(a)(ii) and (b).
    (3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to an area in which a firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive is restricted.
    (4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
    (b) The entity operating the facility shall be responsible for weapons while they are stored in the storage area.

(5) It is a defense to any prosecution under this section that the accused, in committing the act made criminal by this section, acted in conformity with the facility's rule or policy established pursuant to this section.
    (6) (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally transports into a secure area of a facility any firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) Any person violates Section 76-10-306 who knowingly or intentionally transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive in a secure area of a facility.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Just watch out for federal buildings. Very serious penalty.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

One thing that bothers me is the number of courthouses in WA that don't follow the law. According to state law (preemption statute applies), carry in the courthouse is legal everywhere EXCEPT the courtroom, judge's chambers, the path in between (usually they have a dedicated door, so it doesn't apply) and the path between prisoner detention area and the courtroom. Yet, at least in Everett and Ephrata, they prohibit at the door to the building. In Ephrata (Grant County), they don't even have the state mandated lockbox or officer of the court to check your weapon with, you have to walk around the campus to the Sheriff's office.

I'm actually really impressed with state law in WA, other than my recent discovery that weapons purchases are linked to our CHL. Preemption is actively enforced, you can carry pretty much anywhere except where prisoners are held, you can even carry when picking up your children from school. The "no bars" provision has nothing to do with the percentage of alcohol sales, but whether the Liquor Control Board requires it be restricted to 21 and older.

Now, if only we could get rid of that pesky permit. . . but at least it's remarkably easy to get. . . fill out the form, give them the $55.75 and wait 30 days (usually far less). No felony or domestic violence on your record, and you get your permit. I'm still jealous of the constitutional carry states though :)

You can carry in a police station in South Dakota too. Except my local law enforcement facility, which houses the city police, the county sheriff, and the jail, is attached to the county courthouse, and it's illegal to carry in a courthouse or a building attached to one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's a rarity indeed. I do find it sort of odd that after you voluntarily informed him and offered to secure your firearm he because so--cautious.
    I think his behavior was rather odd too. I was thinking to myself that if I was a bad guy, or had malicious intent, I wouldn't have said anything at all, and just shot up the place. I don't understand why he seemed to go into condition orange over nothing more then the fact that I informed him that I was a valid CPL holder, and was perfectly willing to show him it, and check my firearm at the desk.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    One thing that bothers me is the number of courthouses in WA that don't follow the law. According to state law (preemption statute applies), carry in the courthouse is legal everywhere EXCEPT the courtroom, judge's chambers, the path in between (usually they have a dedicated door, so it doesn't apply) and the path between prisoner detention area and the courtroom. Yet, at least in Everett and Ephrata, they prohibit at the door to the building. In Ephrata (Grant County), they don't even have the state mandated lockbox or officer of the court to check your weapon with, you have to walk around the campus to the Sheriff's office.
    This is a somewhat similar topic that we recently discussed on www.utahconcealedcarry.com

I'm not sure if the Washington State Constitution is similar to Utah's, regarding the Legislative branch and the Judicial branch being "co-equal", but food for thought none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by divegeek
    One of the requirements for a secure area as defined by the legislature is firearms storage. The Utah courts have opted not to create secure areas in courthouses, though, so there are no storage lockers, and it is not a crime to carry in a courthouse.

That doesn't mean you can do it, though. Rather than establish secure areas, the courts have opted to use their contempt powers to enforce a gun ban. If you carry in a courthouse and get caught, you'll get thrown in jail for contempt of court. How long they hold you is up to the judge. In practice you can't carry in a courthouse because the police officers at the door with the metal detectors and x-ray machine will stop you.

It would seem that this action by the courts falls afoul of Utah's Uniform Gun Law, which prohibits state agencies from restricting carry, but the courts disagree. Their position is that since the judicial branch is co-equal to the legislative branch under the Utah Constitution, and since security is an essential function of the court system, the legislature has no authority to tell them how to handle security any more than the judges can tell the legislatures how to debate bills.

Bottom line: No lockers at courthouses. Some people have had success at asking the police officers manning the front door to hold their firearm.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

RCW 9.41.300
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    The reason I thought I might have to notify and check my weapon is because I got let into an area that was locked from the outside, so I thought it was legally considered a "secure" area. Apparently to be a "secure" area, one of the stipulations is that the door cannot be able to be opened from either side without either a key, and/or authorization. I thought any room locked was considered a secure area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links