Defensive Carry banner

I need some quick help please....

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wjh2657 
#1 ·
I am flying from Buffalo, NY to Nashville, TN. I have to make a connection in either Chicago or Baltimore. From what I read on the laws of Maryland and Illinois, I see nothing that says I can't have my gun locked in a case in my checked baggage. I have a NY resident permit and non resident Florida and Utah.
So my question is... can I fly through either of those cities (Baltimore and Chicago) and not worry about breaking the law?

Thanks, I need to book a flight asap.

#4 ·
If thinking worst case scenarios I would pick Baltimore anyway. If due to mechanical problems or something where you are stuck overnight and bag wont get checked through Chicago could (if they became aware somehow) cause problems if you don't have an IL FOID card. I am not aware of any exceptions to the FOID requirement. As long as the checked bag is in the custody of the airline I believe you are protected under federal law. If something screws up and you end up having to take the bag to a Hilton you could lose that protection.

#7 ·
Thirded with others, you should be lawful if you stay within the gates (to transfer) and I too would choose Balt./BWI between the two.

Additional reading to _support_ the assertion as rather than leaving it with guesstimates and feeling of right/lawful vs. wrong/illegal:

* A letter from the U.S. Justice Department clarifying federal firearms transport regulations
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=73

* Airline Transportation of Firearms
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=70

* Traveling with Special Items > Firearms & Ammunition
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

- Janq

"We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.
Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies." - TSA

#8 ·
I lived in Chicago for Five years while assigned to NAS Glenview. I had an FOID during my stay there. I recently sent for the IL SP brochure as I have to travel through IL to get to St. Louis, wher my son lives. Illinois does not require a FOID for travel through the state without stopping. They abide by the Federal Regs and requirements(That you are entitled to have the weapon in your home state and in destination state.) With a TN HCP I qualify both ways. The gun must be unloaded and in a case, not readily accdessible to you. The problem in your case is that the law only covers travel through the state. If you have to lay over and stay the night in anywhere but the terminal you could be in trouble . If you have physical custody of your baggage and stay at a Hotel, you are in violation of Illinois law. Possession of a handgun in Illinois under any circumstances always sets you up to be a lawbreaker. Someday they may join the U.S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.