I need some quick help please....

This is a discussion on I need some quick help please.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am flying from Buffalo, NY to Nashville, TN. I have to make a connection in either Chicago or Baltimore. From what I read on ...

I am flying from Buffalo, NY to Nashville, TN. I have to make a connection in either Chicago or Baltimore. From what I read on the laws of Maryland and Illinois, I see nothing that says I can't have my gun locked in a case in my checked baggage. I have a NY resident permit and non resident Florida and Utah.
    So my question is... can I fly through either of those cities (Baltimore and Chicago) and not worry about breaking the law?

Thanks, I need to book a flight asap.

If you are not leaving the airport and just going from one gate to another it should not be a problem. If you are overnighting in one of the cities I would pick Baltimore.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks mcp1810, that's how I saw it. I am just passing through the airport from one gate to another. So many different laws make this whole thing complicated. I purposefully avoided, NYC and Newark, NJ.

If thinking worst case scenarios I would pick Baltimore anyway. If due to mechanical problems or something where you are stuck overnight and bag wont get checked through Chicago could (if they became aware somehow) cause problems if you don't have an IL FOID card. I am not aware of any exceptions to the FOID requirement. As long as the checked bag is in the custody of the airline I believe you are protected under federal law. If something screws up and you end up having to take the bag to a Hilton you could lose that protection.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I think I will book myself through BWI and be safe. Thanks!

No problems to transport it in/to/from the airport, Keep it locked, unloaded and separate from any ammo.

Thirded with others, you should be lawful if you stay within the gates (to transfer) and I too would choose Balt./BWI between the two.

Additional reading to _support_ the assertion as rather than leaving it with guesstimates and feeling of right/lawful vs. wrong/illegal:

* A letter from the U.S. Justice Department clarifying federal firearms transport regulations
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=73

* Airline Transportation of Firearms
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=70

* Traveling with Special Items > Firearms & Ammunition
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

- Janq

"We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.
    Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies." - TSA
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I lived in Chicago for Five years while assigned to NAS Glenview. I had an FOID during my stay there. I recently sent for the IL SP brochure as I have to travel through IL to get to St. Louis, wher my son lives. Illinois does not require a FOID for travel through the state without stopping. They abide by the Federal Regs and requirements(That you are entitled to have the weapon in your home state and in destination state.) With a TN HCP I qualify both ways. The gun must be unloaded and in a case, not readily accdessible to you. The problem in your case is that the law only covers travel through the state. If you have to lay over and stay the night in anywhere but the terminal you could be in trouble . If you have physical custody of your baggage and stay at a Hotel, you are in violation of Illinois law. Possession of a handgun in Illinois under any circumstances always sets you up to be a lawbreaker. Someday they may join the U.S.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Links