Holster rash?

Holster rash?

This is a discussion on Holster rash? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a j-frame about 4 years. Carry at about 330, 4 o'clock. I wear a tshirt all the time and once in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster rash?

Holster rash?

I have been carrying a j-frame about 4 years.
    Carry at about 330, 4 o'clock.
    I wear a tshirt all the time and once in a while I will get a bit of a rash on my hip. Don't know if it is from the leather holster, rubber grip or the gun metal.
    Anyone else ever had this happen? I know this will bring out the funny comments, but I wonder if I am allergic to something. It is a dyed black high noon holster. May have to try a plain one and switch up some things, does not happen often, about 3 times since I started carrying. Hope I am not turning into a democrat! And when I say rash, it is red with small blisters. Ok, now you can beat me up.

VIP Member
    Sounds like chiggers. Been rolling in high grass? Put clear nail polish on the blisters.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    YES! Gold Bond (Medicated) powder applied to affected area helps. It generally goes away when the weather changes. Same problem here (KY humid weather and body salts) but the afore mentioned solution seems to solve the problem.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I love the green gold bond. May look and putting some mole skin on the back of my holster.

If it were nickle plated, that could be it... otherwise, the moleskin's probably a good idea... you could be developing an allergy to the dye in the holster or leather... allergies sometimes take years to develop... small exposures... like wearing a holster, could do it... over time...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Holster rash

Yup! Happened to me with an IWB holster. A dyed leather one. I switched to a reverse pigskin IWB and the rash went away.
    Yes, alergies can be made over time. Its called "sensitivity" to what ever you are reacting to. It is probably to some chemical in the holster, rather than the holster.
    Try another holster. One guy I know had cotton terrycloth sewed to the back of his IWB. It helped.

Been carrying for 14 years and have never had a rash. Hope you get that cleared up though.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The small red blisters sound almost like heat rash. You might wear a T-shirt under a regular shirt and keep the T-shirt tucked in.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I usually use my holster with an undershirt (the undershirt gets tucked in, and the IWB and grip touch the shirt, and not my skin directly). You could try that as another suggestion.

I had the same problem with an MTAC. The leather was causing it. I started wearing wife beaters and it went away.

I wear the underarmor compression fit tops and bottoms so there is no skin contact. Wear the stuff every day. That is my base layer, so I am really at a loss to figure this out. The stuff is very thin, maybe it is getting thru it.

I'm with Slim, sounds like heat rash to me. I used to get it from time to time on places that I carried stuff in my pockets when I unloaded trucks for a living - and I wasn't carrying and there was no leather touching my skin. I still carry all the same gear (more or less) but I haven't had any trouble since I quit working such a sweaty, demanding job.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Occasionally, I've had irritations with carry. Holster, pistol, lube, preservative, washing detergent used on my undies, the heat, sweat, the action. Who knows what could set it off. But I have never....ever had a rash for carrying, and I use no barriers like an under shirt or anything. Chiggers and seed ticks don't mess with me, but poison ivy and oak might. I never wear white clothing......just my socks and undies (ticks and chiggers are more attracted to white). LOL! I feel for you with your condition....even though I find a lot of good humor in this thread. I'm not laughing at you. I hope you find a solution. There has to be a reason. Something changed. Maybe even your shower soap. Never know.
    And to look at your avatar with that big grin.....deep down I know you're trying to keep from scratching.

Questions, is the rash above, or below your waistband? Is it holster shaped, or include the shape of your grips? Do you put a little Gold Bond on the area before the undies? Does it relate to cleaning your gun? Have you ever cleaned up your holster? You getting enough hours a day without Underarmour and a holster to air out?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Chiggers will usually leave a line of bites, almost like they're walking along chewing on you, which is probably exactly what they're doing. If it's leather related, and you can't fix it, you may try something made of Kydex.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links