NY state

NY state

This is a discussion on NY state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We will be going to upstate NY (Rochester) to visit my sister who may have cancer. Anyway, it is my understanding about me carrying there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY state

NY state

We will be going to upstate NY (Rochester) to visit my sister who may have cancer. Anyway, it is my understanding about me carrying there which is a no=no. I have a florida permit, and its good in ALL the other states we are travelling thru, however, not in NY. So I will be a no gunner. I thought about carrying, and locking it in a safe in the rear compartment while in NY, but its not worth it. How about having some kind of defensive spray in your pocket or OC?

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    We will be going to upstate NY (Rochester) to visit my sister who may have cancer. Anyway, it is my understanding about me carrying there which is a no=no. I have a florida permit, and its good in ALL the other states we are travelling thru, however, not in NY. So I will be a no gunner. I thought about carrying, and locking it in a safe in the rear compartment while in NY, but its not worth it. How about having some kind of defensive spray in your pocket or OC?
    - FYI - I work in NY and was raised there.

Please Pay close ATTENTION. A NONRESIDENT who is doing anything more than PASSING THROUGH NY STATE CANNOT EVEN POSSESS a Handgun there.

If you drive into NY and STOP - EVEN FOR A FEW HOURS - YOU HAVE BROKEN NY LAW.

The ONLY Exception is for competition shooters attending a sponsored match.

The ONLY OC spray allowed in NY is what you are allowed to buy at Licensed Dealers - YOU CAN NOT BRING IN YOUR OWN from out of state.

I sugest carrying a big dog.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I feel your pain! I too live in Florida and am amazed that I can travel all the way to the New York border with my gun and then have the door slammed shut. (By the way, if you are traveling I-95, you cannot go through Maryland without disarming, unloading, and stowing the gun in the trunk)

Fortunately for me, my destination is Buffalo and I have a relation in Pittsburgh that is willing to let me store my firearm there while I am in Gistapo York.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I live here and think it stinks you can't carry in NYS. I was in NJ this past weekend and had to leave my gun home. You mentioned you could come all the way up here with your Florida permit. I have a non-resident Florida permit but thought I couldn't pass through South Carolina. What do you know about that?

resident FL permits are OK in SC, but non-resident permits are not. I think you can have it in the glove box though in SC w/o a permit.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

AKsrule is right - no gun, no spray. You are allowed to carry a folding knife. NY is extremely unwelcoming to law-abiding armed nonresidents. On behalf of my misguided state, I apologize!

Yup I grew up in the communist country of NY, got out of there as soon as I could. All I can tell you is your out of luck. Even if you live there you cannot even have a handgun in your HOME without a permit let alone carry one. I live next door in Vermont and what I do on a daily basis here will get me 7 years in prison in NY. Do not mess around in NY, the troopers will destroy you trust me.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Sadly all are correct. And if your sister (may she recover) is in the Hospital, that's a no-gun place as well.

Safe travels.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Sadly all are correct. And if your sister (may she recover) is in the Hospital, that's a no-gun place as well.

Safe travels.

Jim
    Jim, I have not seen that about carrying in a hospital in NY. I have carried in more than one. I will check the regs to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post

Safe travels.

Jim
    Jim,
    I just checked and I see nothing where I can't carry in a hospital. The one good thing about Ny is that we can carry almost anywhere without restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    Jim,
    I just checked and I see nothing where I can't carry in a hospital. The one good thing about Ny is that we can carry almost anywhere without restrictions.
    The other good thing: in NY in most areas, a permit is good for life. Mine is (Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    The other good thing: in NY in most areas, a permit is good for life. Mine is (Erie County)
    Very true! There are very few places that we can't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    - FYI - I work in NY and was raised there.

Please Pay close ATTENTION. A NONRESIDENT who is doing anything more than PASSING THROUGH NY STATE CANNOT EVEN POSSESS a Handgun there.

If you drive into NY and STOP - EVEN FOR A FEW HOURS - YOU HAVE BROKEN NY LAW.

The ONLY Exception is for competition shooters attending a sponsored match.

The ONLY OC spray allowed in NY is what you are allowed to buy at Licensed Dealers - YOU CAN NOT BRING IN YOUR OWN from out of state.

I sugest carrying a big dog.
    My wife wonders why I will never step foot into NY.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In the mid-70's I was back in the Albany area on leave with my wife and two daughters. I travelled in uniform. Local cops, where my parents lived, attempted to sieze my .22 rifle and .22 pistol. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to have my two weapons listed on my PCS orders. My weapons stayed in my possession. I'll have to go back to NY one more time and that will be the last time. Strange how some of the states that espoused freedom to the extent of revolution have evolved to the point where they have become what they revolted against.

I don't ever want to live in NY again. When you look at their website of proposed legislation for the year, almost all of it is headed in the wrong direction. It seems they'll never get a clue, and it's a shame because most people in upstate NY are not nearly that clueless. They are simply subject to the attitudes of the big cities that outnumber them in population and thus representation in Albany. Too bad. I finally talked my parents into getting their pistol permits before they get even more expensive there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links