CCW Permit Holder ignores law, and now faces Murder charge.

This is a discussion on CCW Permit Holder ignores law, and now faces Murder charge. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Marqus Hill, 28, of Hunting Park, PA had legally obtained a CCW Permit to carry a handgun. This past Sunday morning, he spotted 18-year-old Irving ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW Permit Holder ignores law, and now faces Murder charge.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

CCW Permit Holder ignores law, and now faces Murder charge.

Marqus Hill, 28, of Hunting Park, PA had legally obtained a CCW Permit to carry a handgun. This past Sunday morning, he spotted 18-year-old Irving Santana trying to break into his parked car while he was in Olney, PA.

Hill ran after Santana and emptied his handgun at him, shooting the teenager a total of 13 times and killing him. Arriving officers quickly arrested Hill, and he has now been charged with murder.

Authorities had revoked Hill's CCW permit earlier, due to confrontations with police, that included physical contact with officers. However, Hill was able to legally obtain a CCW from Florida, which was in turn honored by the state of Pennsylvania. So he was lawfully carrying his weapon when this incident took place.

Here is Hill's booking photo:

Here are some newspaper accounts, if you would like to learn more:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...ime&id=7669826

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/1...spect-had.html

http://kyw.cbslocal.com/2010/09/15/p...ing-car-thief/

Just how utterly stupid was this guy??

2. Remove Ads

This will make the rest of us who respect and follow the law look real bad. That was flat out murder and garners no sympathy from me for the shooter. The victim isn't all too innocent for trying to break into the vehicle, but he definitely didn't deserve to be murdered.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Sounds like this guy had limited reasoning abilities to begin with, and he should not have had a permit. We will always have some that slip between the cracks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wondering what kind of background checks are performed by Florida??? Probably a very cursory one. Bad news, for the rest of us, who legally obtained our permits, and use common sense.

Regardless...background checks do not prevent stupid people from doing stupid things...nor do permits.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Authorities had revoked Hill's CCW permit earlier, due to confrontations with police, that included physical contact with officers. However, Hill was able to legally obtain a CCW from Florida, which was in turn honored by the state of Pennsylvania. So he was lawfully carrying his weapon when this incident took place.
    something is wrong with this...if a state revokes someone CCW is there no way for another state to look into the reasons why?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

actually my experience FL was the most thorough of the jurisdictions I applied to. I have VA.FL,UT and NV CCW's. I had a 25 year old misdemeanor on the books and FL was the only jurisdiction to refuse issuing my permit until I sent a letter from the court explaining the outcome. As soon as I did that they issued my permit. This whole process took 6 months but it was resolved. no other state did that

GM
    That was not good. That gun was a moron.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The thing is the guy lied. He filled out a FL app that has questions about his past and present status, and he lied on it. The problem is the guy was mentally imbalanced to begin with, and candidly he's no different than the guy we would point to in one of our favorite defense arguments: laws don't stop criminals. If someone is going to shoot someone, they don't need no stinkin' permit, all they need is a gun. If someone is going to disregard the law against murder, a gun control law is not going to stop them.

The FL permit asks about your mental state, he lied.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

There we go messin' it up for the rest of us.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

No back ground check, no amount of forms filled out will prevent a mentally unstable moron from getting a weapon, even legally if they lie, which obviously they do.
    I question why there isn't a uniform standard across all states, for CCW licenses and training prior to getting a permit. Pa is incredibly easy in it's issuing of permits, yet other states require training and safety classes prior to issue. I makes no sense.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    something is wrong with this...if a state revokes someone CCW is there no way for another state to look into the reasons why?
    Yeah, if he had "Physical contact" with officers, shouldn't he have been charged with something, and it would be great if there was a way for other states to get this type of information.
    I hate to say it but this could almost be used as a case for May Issue, instead of Shall Issue. If the issuing department in Florida knew this guy had a history that caused PA to revoke his license maybe they should have refused to issue.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    actually my experience FL was the most thorough of the jurisdictions I applied to. I have VA.FL,UT and NV CCW's. I had a 25 year old misdemeanor on the books and FL was the only jurisdiction to refuse issuing my permit until I sent a letter from the court explaining the outcome. As soon as I did that they issued my permit. This whole process took 6 months but it was resolved. no other state did that
    YES. They want dispasition on all Misdemeanors, Seems they are slipping ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Just great. More ammo for the Brady bunch.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

Bummer of a story. Strange how this guy was slippery enough to cheat the 'system' and just goes and shoots up a kid trying to get into his car.
    Just great. More ammo for the Brady bunch
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links