4 day defensive pistol course as substitute for CCW course in NV?

This is a discussion on 4 day defensive pistol course as substitute for CCW course in NV? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan on following up with my local police department, but I figure this is somewhat common so I wanted to hear DC's comments. I ...

Thread: 4 day defensive pistol course as substitute for CCW course in NV?

I plan on following up with my local police department, but I figure this is somewhat common so I wanted to hear DC's comments.

I am going to take a 4 day defensive handgun course at Frontsite in February (I know, im not a fan of the owner but friends have taken their courses and said they were great... plus it was $90). We will spend an entire day discussing CCW issues, SA, drawing from concealed, shoot/dont shoot, and many other topics covered in a traditional CCW course. Frontsite is located in NV.

I plan on obtaining my CCW permit in Nevada where I am a resident. NV law states:

Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for one or more specific firearms to any person who is qualified to possess a firearm under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:
    2. (a) Is a resident of this state;
    (b) Is 21 years of age or older;
    (c) Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to NRS 202.360; and (d) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that he: (1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this state; or (2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety. Such a course must include instruction in the use of each firearm to which the application pertains and in the laws of this state relating to the proper use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless he determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, or if the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.

I dont really want to wait until February, but as a recent college grad the money savings would be nice. Has anyone substituted similar courses for a CCW course? Think my Police dept would find this acceptable?

JD
    Administrator
    Front Site would probably be able to tell you, but your issuing authority is the best place to ask. I'm wagering that as it's a large school and local to Nevada that it meets the requirements.

The only one that matters is the sheriff. Call them and ask if they accept the course in question.

In Nevada each county Sheriff has a list of instructors that he has approved to teach the CCW course. You must take the course (the content requirements and minimum shooting proficiency requirements are determined and published by the Sheriffs and Chiefs Association) from an an instructor approved by the Sheriff of the county you apply in.

Ken

p.s.: Here is the link to Metro's web page on how to obtain a permit which also has the phone number for the ccw detail.
    http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_concealed.html

Front Sight offers a CCW class that can be appended on to the 4-day Handgun class. That would lead me to believe that the 4-day class alone would not qualify for your CCW training even though the 4-day class is excellent training. I do not recall any specific information regarding the Nevada state laws in the 4-day class which I suspect is required for your CCW training.
    NRA Life Member

Front Site provides the CCW class, extra from the 4 day class. It's expensive.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thank you for the info!

Yea, I noticed that their CCW course is separate, but I believe it is because you also submit Utah and Florida permits when you take it. Hmm... I'll follow up with that Link, my sheriff, and Frontsite. Then again... I dont really want to wait until February anyway!! =P

Thanks again!

I took the Nevada CCW course in Reno, it contains a lot of Nevada-specific law that wouldn't be relevant to other states. Since Front Sight is based in Vegas, I'm would imagine they offer the 'local' version sepearate from the 'nationwide', maybe for cheaper.

I would imagine that you would have to take the extra CCW course with it, Nevada requires that you sit an "eight hour" class, but the material can be absorbed much faster than that. The test is easy if you pay attention to the Nevada specific legal information, everything else is basic weapons safety.

Of course, I took the course in Washoe County, so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    In Nevada each county Sheriff has a list of instructors that he has approved to teach the CCW course.
    I guess the sheriff has to take care of his instructor friends.
    Sounds pretty fishy to me.
    If a course is approved, and the instructor has a certificate to teach the course, what else should matter?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I guess the sheriff has to take care of his instructor friends.
    Sounds pretty fishy to me.
    If a course is approved, and the instructor has a certificate to teach the course, what else should matter?
    I don't think it's a buddy system, I think they just have to have their state approved pamphlets, and have the course approved by the Sheriff's office. At least, in Washoe County, there was a HUGE list of approved trainers. . . most of them were gun shops, a few did private security training, and a couple of dedicated CCL businesses.

Sponsored Links