Bad guy's gun goes click

This is a discussion on Bad guy's gun goes click within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post, but I have been lurking for awhile. Although I don't watch them often, I sometimes have watched a couple of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad guy's gun goes click

Bad guy's gun goes click

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for awhile.

Although I don't watch them often, I sometimes have watched a couple of police procedural reality shows such as The First 48 and Crime 360. It seems that more times than I would have guessed, the bad guy's handgun goes click, rather than bang. Sometimes the gun is later pictured, but rarely identified by brand; sometimes the picture is enough to identify it. Admittedly, there seem to be a good number of low-tier guns.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge as to the reasons for this or could they confirm or refute my impression? I can think of several reasons this might be, some of which overlap:

Cheap guns that tend to be unreliable.

Poor maintenance.

Lack of skill or technique (some security camera videos show obviously poor technique). Sometimes the report is of one shot, followed by a FTF or jam. One show actually indicated a robber only had a couple of rounds in his magazine, missed the store clerk, who then shot him several times with his revolver. If I remember correctly, he ran a half block or so before dieing.

Bad ammo. I have read a couple of things that indicate that many criminals just use whatever ammo they can get, without regard to possible effectiveness or reliability.

Other.

If anyone has some experience, I would be interested. Obviously, it is not something to count on, that the bad guy messes up, but does it show some information that CCW holders can benefit from?

Chris

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Interesting first post.

There are many reasons that a perfectly good gun will not shoot.
    Bad (or wrong) ammo; lack of cleaning and/or maintenance; too many dry firings which broke a firing pin, or the gun was broken when stolen....
    It would be bad to condemn a manufacturer as having a POS gun when you don't know the circumstances.
    I have seen LEO who did desk dury at teh station and his gun looked dirty. I made a wise ass comment about "are you sure it will shoot if you need it?" he said he didn't know. The only time it was cleaned was just before his 6 month requal at the range. point is: if it went click, would someone condemn ALL S&W revolvers as being bad?
    Someone who is robbing convience stores is not exactly someone who would take care of his equipment.
    Note: this is NOT to say there are some unreliable guns out there. Just look at the ocmments on this website. Moreover, you will see comments pro and con about an individual make and model gun.
    I use only ammo I trust the name on, and clean the gun after each outing. No problems.

Loading, but not racking the slide combined with inexperience and stupidity...works every time.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum from Southwestern Virginia. I'd say mastercapt about nailed it. Thugs and hoodlums don't care about their equipment. They plan on using it to do their dirty deeds and then ditching it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I suspect that those cases would be second class robbers/drugies. Most professional robbers and active bangers tend to have better quality weapons in good repair. They tend to not be as dumb as the lower tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I suspect that those cases would be second class robbers/drugies. Most professional robbers and active bangers tend to have better quality weapons in good repair. They tend to not be as dumb as the lower tier.
    I'd have to find this reason very plausible. Someone that has shot before knows what they're doing especially if they've done it a lot. Reminds me of a show I watched where a gang banger said he preferred to use a revolver because no casings were left behind. Worse still would be the one that knew how to load the ammo so as to not leave any latent prints.

Yes.....to all of the above.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Given that many of these cases involve petty criminals putting their entire lives on the line to rob convenience stores for maybe $150 in the register, their equipment (guns, ammo, and their brains) cannot cost very much. It's painfully obvious that they spent only a fraction of that on all three.

I realize the shows may involve quite a bit of selection bias. After all, many interviews do not show what would be my first reaction, which would be to shut up and say I want a lawyer. I obviously have not watched enough to get a feel for differences for where on the scale some of the potential criminals fall (between a Professor Moriarity of gang bangers and the drugged-out guy who barely remembers which end of the gun bullets come from).

For the general armed citizen and CCW holder, there is the obvious lesson of "getting to Carnegie Hall": practice, practice, practice. That includes maintenance and ammo testing.

What I am looking for is information which might be helpful, maybe from those that have dealt with armed criminals one way or another. Am I trying to get to much from limited data? Am I being distracted by TV, but in a different way than usual (i.e. - bad guys fall down when shot, have bad aim, etc.)? Am I over-thinking this (a trait that my wife would not argue with)?

Most professional robbers and active bangers tend to have better quality weapons in good repair. They tend to not be as dumb as the lower tier.
    Was this question on the Census? Or are we guessing here?

Plan and train for the worst, then anything less will be a bonus.

I'd guess that most criminals with records stay away from gun ranges...and thus...away from practice or proper technique
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I think another factor might be that the criminal stole the gun recently or purchased it just before the robbery and does not know the manual of arms. He forgets to take the safety off, or as someone else said he forgets to chamber a round. This is as bad as those people taking a CCW class and "unloading" their gun by dropping the mag but not emptying the chamber of the live round.

Sometimes, they're just dumb

I recall reading a few years ago about "dumb criminals".
    One example they gave was a guy who had stolen a .44 (bulldog .44 special, as i recall), but didn't have ammo for it.

He found that he could fit 2 .22lr cartridges in each chamber, so he did that.
    Needless to say, all he got was clicks and "phut"s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links