Concealed Education

Concealed Education

This is a discussion on Concealed Education within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I found myself at the range instead of in the library....again. I brought along my Ruger SR9. Another friend brought his Taurus PT92. A ...

Thread: Concealed Education

Concealed Education

Yesterday, I found myself at the range instead of in the library....again. I brought along my Ruger SR9. Another friend brought his Taurus PT92. A third friend, once an immigrant from Bosnia and now a US citizen came along to shoot with us. The third friend seemed excited, but a little apprehensive at the same time. He is one of those people who just can't understand why I carry a gun as often as I do. But he is also predisposed to many experiences that I cannot even imagine from the Bosnian civil war. He has seen his father walk out the door with an AK-47 and come back with blood on his hands, his uncle killed down the road from their farm, and their family's farmland destroyed. So needless to say he is almost 'antigun' (this is the wrong word, thus the quotes, just couldn't think up the right one).

We get to the range and he decides to rent a gun. I tell him to go with a Glock 17 because it's a great gun and easy to use. We start shooting and sooner than I know it he is running out to buy another box of ammo. Then he wants to shoot my gun as well as my friends (side note, he thought the SR9 was the best shooter out of all 3!! ). When we left, all he wanted to talk about was how to pick the right gun for him and where he can learn more about concealed carry. Just in 30 minutes he realized that guns do not carry the negative connotation that he remembers from his childhood. He now understands why his family had and used guns in Bosnia, and is starting to understand the concept of carrying a weapon for self defense. We talked for about an hour and a half once we got home about the benefits of owning firearms and being able to protect yourself, whether at home or in public. He also now understands the fact that this country was founded on the right of people to protect themselves and their property, something that is very important IMO.

And this morning he woke me up with a text at 7:20 telling me he found a gun safety course and a concealed carry class that he wants to take to learn more.

Another one converted, and all I had to do was get him to the range!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Well done! I think more antis who've never fired a gun would done the same if given the chance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If he wants to learn more, we're doing classes every month here in MO. Not CCW, but actual fighting classes: http://www.suarezinternational.com/tech.html

Just look for my name, and ask any questions you have. If you want a CCW class, let me know, I do those, too.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Very well done. Sometimes it is easier to convert those who have seen the wolf as opposed to those who won't admit the wolf exists.

Good job.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

It's amazing how just getting someone to shoot a gun can totally change their minds. When people realize that guns are not only safe if handled properly but also fun to shoot and have a legitimate purpose, they convert much more easily.

I have family from Canada and every time they visit even if it is only for a few days, we have a required trip to the range where they get to shoot my handguns and each time they have a blast, literally and figuratively. None of them really want to carry a gun but they all realize how fun they are once they get to the range. And I also put them through a quick refresher course on gun safety and handling to make sure we can avoid accidents and to impart on them the seriousness of what we are going to do.

Awesome.

Goes to show that "guns" do not cause people to commit crimes...

and that people can carry guns and NOT shoot them.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Cpngrats on the convert, you're about to make MO a little bit safer. Well done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links