Article -- "Do Girls Need Guns?"

This is a discussion on Article -- "Do Girls Need Guns?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good article! Anyone read the book? http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity...women-own-guns A controversial new book says every woman in America should own a gun If self-defense expert Paxton Quigley ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article -- "Do Girls Need Guns?"

VIP Member

Thumbs up Article -- "Do Girls Need Guns?"

Good article!

Anyone read the book?

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity...women-own-guns

A controversial new book says every woman in America should own a gun

If self-defense expert Paxton Quigley had her way, every woman would be toting a gun around like the latest It bag or iThing. Why? Handguns are the best way for women to protect themselves from violence and rape, says Quigley, who has taught more than 7,000 women how to pull the trigger. For her new book, Armed & Female: Taking Control, she talked to dozens of female victims of violent crime, many of whom said a gun could have prevented the attack. We met up with the petite, blonde, 55-year-old gun guru in Manhattan to see if her argument is bulletproof. You decide.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I think the majority of women out there just don't think about it or quickly come to the conclusion that guns are scary so I'll take my chances. It always seems that it's not given serious thought unless they, or someone they know are raped, stabbed, killed or left for dead, that the reality of it all comes to light and only then, they are willing to take the steps toward protecting themselves. And I bet if polled, the women who've gone through something like this and made it out alive would say that they would have pulled the trigger even if they were anti-gun before. I'd also be willing to be that it would be very close to 100%.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Thumbs up

Have read a couple other of her books, though not this one. She's got a lot of great points to make. Certainly, she's one of the leading proponents and thinkers about women being armed and trained to have the capability of defending themselves.

Q: What convinced you that women need guns?

A: I came from an antigun family — I'd never touched a gun. But 20 years ago, when I was living in L.A., a friend called me at 2 a.m. "Please come over," she said. "Something horrible has happened." When I got there, a police officer opened the door. He told me, "Your friend has been raped." My friend said she'd heard a window breaking and had called 911 and tried to run. But the rapist overpowered her. Later, at the hospital, I asked her, "If you'd had a gun, could you have stopped the attack?" She said yes. I thought about myself living alone and decided: This is not going to happen to me.
    She things clearly and simply, not allowing the anti-gunner pap to destroy her ability to think through the reality of situations. If armed and trained, she'd certainly have a good chance at stopping violence directed against her. She decided right then and there she wasn't going to let it happen to her ... and that she'd help as many others rectify their flawed thinking as she could.

IMO, her writings are absolutely worth reading.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Forwarding to my girlfriend. Not that she needs convincing. She wanted her LTCF already when I met her.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    This line from the article was disturbing to me:

"If a toddler picks up a gun, it's unlikely he could pull the trigger" How about instead - something like - home and personal safeguards should be in place that absolutely keep guns away from toddlers.

It just bugs me that the editors chose that line to publish, or that the author said that. Surely a toddler can and has fired a gun that was not secured properly. It's like saying most drunk drivers don't cause accidents or go ahead and smoke cause you might get killed in a plane crash anyways.

ps. but thanks for posting the link, I enjoyed it overall and am glad to see a mag like Marie Claire publishing it.

Stats show that a woman resisting with a gun is by far the most effective method of defense.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Men & Women should both be carrying guns
    Although a pistol is a great equalizer for a woman against a man, situational awareness is also a must that must not be forgotten
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Stats show that a woman resisting with a gun is by far the most effective method of defense.
    I've also seen stats that suggest a woman resisting with a weapon is much more likely to be challanged by a male counterpart. Having the mindset to actually pull the trigger and kill someone must be decided and thought thru in advance. If not,.... it's pretty damned likely you'll be lookin' at the business end of your own weapon.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    A lot of women never think about what they would do in a sittuation. I like the fact that she said that if you don't know that you can use it, you shouldn't have one.
    Walk softly ...

"If a toddler picks up a gun, it's unlikely he could pull the trigger"

This statement definitely appears to be totally false considering someone posted a story on this board about a 3 year old picking up a shotgun, loading it, carrying it out to the front porch, and firing it at a building across the street.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

I'm buying my wife a Ruger LCP in a month or two when some extra funds come available. She got her CPL when I did but we never got her a gun for some reason. This summer, our town suffered the first loss of a Police officer in the line of duty and that make us reconsider things. We have three kids too and it just doesn't make sense to go unarmed anymore.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

Firearms and SD/HD is not gender specific.IMHO
    Everyone should consider being armed...it's a crazy world out there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    There is wide public support for good to overcome evil - the underdog to overcome the thug. Women can be tough. I hope that you see what Kipling had to say:
    Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)
    The Female of the Species

WHEN the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
    He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside.
    But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail.
    For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

When Nag the basking cobra hears the careless foot of man,
    He will sometimes wriggle sideways and avoid it if he can.
    But his mate makes no such motion where she camps beside the trail.

When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws,
    They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the squaws.
    'Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale.

Man's timid heart is bursting with the things he must not say,
    For the Woman that God gave him isn't his to give away;
    But when hunter meets with husbands, each confirms the other's tale—
    The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Man, a bear in most relations—worm and savage otherwise,—
    Man propounds negotiations, Man accepts the compromise.
    Very rarely will he squarely push the logic of a fact
    To its ultimate conclusion in unmitigated act.

Fear, or foolishness, impels him, ere he lay the wicked low,
    To concede some form of trial even to his fiercest foe.
    Mirth obscene diverts his anger—Doubt and Pity oft perplex
    Him in dealing with an issue—to the scandal of The Sex!

But the Woman that God gave him, every fibre of her frame
    Proves her launched for one sole issue, armed and engined for the same;
    And to serve that single issue, lest the generations fail,
    The female of the species must be deadlier than the male.

She who faces Death by torture for each life beneath her breast
    May not deal in doubt or pity—must not swerve for fact or jest.
    These be purely male diversions—not in these her honour dwells—
    She the Other Law we live by, is that Law and nothing else.

She can bring no more to living than the powers that make her great
    As the Mother of the Infant and the Mistress of the Mate.
    And when Babe and Man are lacking and she strides unclaimed to claim
    Her right as femme (and baron), her equipment is the same.

She is wedded to convictions—in default of grosser ties;
    Her contentions are her children, Heaven help him who denies!—
    He will meet no suave discussion, but the instant, white-hot, wild,
    Wakened female of the species warring as for spouse and child.

Unprovoked and awful charges—even so the she-bear fights,
    Speech that drips, corrodes, and poisons—even so the cobra bites,
    Scientific vivisection of one nerve till it is raw
    And the victim writhes in anguish—like the Jesuit with the squaw!

So it comes that Man, the coward, when he gathers to confer
    With his fellow-braves in council, dare not leave a place for her
    Where, at war with Life and Conscience, he uplifts his erring hands
    To some God of Abstract Justice—which no woman understands.

And Man knows it! Knows, moreover, that the Woman that God gave him
    Must command but may not govern—shall enthral but not enslave him.
    And She knows, because She warns him, and Her instincts never fail,
    That the Female of Her Species is more deadly than the Male.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This poem can be found, for example, in:

Kipling, Rudyard. Rudyard Kipling's Verse: Inclusive Edition, 1885-1918. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1919.
    Felleman, Hazel, ed. The Best Loved Poems of the American People. Garden City, NY: Garden City Books, 1936.
    Maybe I'm one, but it's mostly the men who sit on this site and bicker about trivialities.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I taught karate for many years and the most effective "technique" I ever learned/taught, was not a sidekick, a roundhouse, a full hip throw, a carotid choke, or a wristlock. It was the habit of SA and the knowledge that the bad guy generally has put a lot more time and planning into an attack than the victim has spent thinking of how to avoid it.

I constantly remind my wife to trust her instincts -- when something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't -- when walking to her car and the hair on her neck stands up, turn around and go right back into the bldg.

Q: But more than 3,000 children reportedly die from gunfire each year.

A: Many reports include "children" as old as 19, a lot of whom are gang members. There are very few 3-year-olds who are shot. If a toddler picks up a gun, it's unlikely he could pull the trigger.

I was always under the impression when 3 year olds pick up guns and cant puull the trigger the correct way, they turn it around and use their thumbs? I don't see this being a problem on some of the semi-automatic pistols made today.

Thats not what the article is discussing though, its women owning guns, and I am trying hard as I can to get my girlfriend to buy one. Just a few days ago a guy was chased from her appartment complex and later ditched cocaine and weed (as well as having more in his car) and a handgun in a WalMart parking lot before he was caught by police. Hopefully that woke her up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links