Carry in bar in Washington?

This is a discussion on Carry in bar in Washington? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anybody tell me if I can carry in a bar in Washington? I have to go to my wife's friends engagement party in Seattle ...

Thread: Carry in bar in Washington?

Can anybody tell me if I can carry in a bar in Washington? I have to go to my wife's friends engagement party in Seattle and I'd rather not disarm. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately it is illegal...

The laws basically say that if you must be 21 to enter the establishment, you cannot carry a firearm, even with a CPL.

In the case of a restaurant such as applebees where there is a family section as well as a bar section, the law permits you to carry as long as your are not seated in the area that requires you to be 21. Any area which requires you to be 21 or older due to alcohol being served is off limits.

RCW 9.41.300 (d)
    Weapons prohibited in certain places
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

tap22a:

As the others have stated, the short answer is "no". But, not all bars in Seattle are really bars. If they have the liquor control board restriction of 21 and over, then carry there is illegal. Some 'bars' in Sea area are 'clubs' that are only 21+ in certain areas, or after a certain time. Also, even places that aren't illegal to carry prohibit weapons and have policies against them, and are enforced by bouncers with wands.

Bars and anywhere else with the 21+ limit are off limits. That includes liquor stores, clubs, and shows at mixed venues that have "all ages" shows and "21+" shows when it's 21+. As stated many bars are actually bars and grills where you can legally eat in the restaurant, but not at the bar while carrying. Oftentimes the time of day matters, too. Going in at noon might be lunch, while after 10 it's a full-on bar. Sometimes it's a bit much to pay attention too.

Personal opinion, legal or not......just not a good idea. Just think of all of the possibilities. A bar is just one of those places that rank up there with walking into a dark alley when you could have avoided it altogether.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Even back in the wild west days they realized that guns and alcohol don't mix.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW Ray View Post
    RCW 9.41.300 (d)
    Weapons prohibited in certain places
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or
    THIS^

Just to be clear: liquor stores are not 21+ establishments. You need to be 21+ to BUY the liquor, but you don't have to be that old to ENTER. Any area that is defined as 21+ (whether it's an entire pub or just the "bar area" of a restaurant) is a no-carry zone whenever that 21+ rule is in effect (which is 24/7 for most places that have it).

OFF TOPIC:
    As far as "pondering the possibilities"... this is reason enough to stay out of a bar in the first place. But if I have to be at one then it's all the more reason to carry as far as I'm concerned (I AM NOT CONDONING THIS by the way). However, I also don't drink outside my own home and I rarely drink while I *am* home. I've already misspent my youth and prefer to stay sober for the years I have left.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Jumpwing has it correct. there are many times we have gone to eat and NOT sat in the 21+ section. mostly because of our 5 year old.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Links