Sighting in a new carry gun

This is a discussion on Sighting in a new carry gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased a new handgun today. Not going to say what brand so there will be no brand wars (hopefully). As a subcompact it will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sighting in a new carry gun

Purchased a new handgun today. Not going to say what brand so there will be no brand wars (hopefully). As a subcompact it will be a carry gun, not so much a range gun. Not to say I will not take it to the range as I did the day it was purchased. Put 50 rounds of SD ammo and about 35 of FMJ through and am happy with the gun.

This handgun has adjustable rear sights. I benched rested and sighted in at 7 yards, nice tight group. Unfortunately I was rushed for time and so instead of bench resting longer distance I shot standing at 15 yards. The grouping was comparable to my usual at that range.

My questions are: what distance does one sight in a carry gun? Is there a recommended distance? Will it really matter?

Most gun fights will be less than 5 yds.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Welcome to DC, Shoot Often ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I feel confident if my firearm is right on at 25'.OMO
    It is interesting to shoot at further distances just 'to see'...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't have adjustable sights on my carry guns, so I can't advise you.

I'd guess it's a personal thing. But, c'mon; ya ain't gonna tell us whatcha got?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Don't think it matters much. At short range you won't really need the sights, and at long range you'll be able to leave instead of fight. 10-15yds is about the farthest I can imagine needing while still be close enough to justify shooting. But if you wanted to sight it in at longer range it shouldn't hurt anything when you need it at closer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Purchased a new handgun today. Not going to say what brand so there will be no brand wars (hopefully). As a subcompact it will be a carry gun, not so much a range gun. Not to say I will not take it to the range as I did the day it was purchased.
    - The members on this site are very helpful. You won't get much in the way of brand wars. If you do post your brand of gun, you may actually get tips and tricks you might not have known about.

My questions are: what distance does one sight in a carry gun? Is there a recommended distance? Will it really matter?
    - I'm with the others in that most gunfights will be very close. That being said, I usually sight my sights or Crimson Trace laser to 25'. The laser is still accurate at 50'.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah I guess sighting in at about 7 yards should do it. And since it is a subcompact I should not expect it to do well at anything considered long range.

tokerblue makes a good point with brand revealed I may get some good use tips. So OK, it's a Glock 26.

VIP Member
    If you able to hit where your aiming at 7-10 yrads you should be good to go.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Given the velocity of the 9mm and its relatively minimal mid range trajectory, I think that any variation in sighting in from 25 yds in would be imperceptible to all but the most precision shooters. OMO

VIP Member
    My maximum distance is 7 yards. Defensively, I can't see the need to be shooting any farther, however, at 25 yards the Kimber is still hitting COM.

50 rounds, Kimber Tactical Pro II .45ACP drawn and fired from concealment, 7 yards.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yeah I guess sighting in at about 7 yards should do it. And since it is a subcompact I should not expect it to do well at anything considered long range.

tokerblue makes a good point with brand revealed I may get some good use tips. So OK, it's a Glock 26.
    - Glock makes great guns. I don't think you'll find anyone that disputes that. There are people that don't like the feel of a polymer gun and the grip angle, but it's otherwise hard to find fault with them.

That being said, I have a Glock 19 with fixed sights and I don't have any problems with good groupings at 25' or 50'. You may not have to adjust the sights at all.

10 to 20 feet for me.
    welcome to the forum from Wyoming.

wyo-man

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    personally with a Glock, i feel it is more of a utilitarian gun than an accurate range gun anyway, unless you get one with a match grade competition barrel and a whole bunch of other stuff, so about 15-25 ft is acceptable for me
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Since this is a new carry gun, I'd advise to go to a gunsmith and dump the adjustable sights for a fixed sight. Why? Because Mr Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame) has been known to adjust adjustable sights when you aren't looking--leading you to spend more time re-adjusting your sights to that your POA=POI vs spending time practicing and training (at the same time, wasting ammo). Adjustable sights also have a tendency to move themselves when they get caught up on cover garments, seatbelts, or get battered around wearing your gun daily.

Adjustable sights are useful for competitive shooters who train for precision (and shoot under conditions that allows them to do so)...

Bottomline: Dump the adjustable sights...they won't do you any better than a fixed sight and the fixed sights are one less thing to break/worry about.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links