Shooting while sick

Shooting while sick

This is a discussion on Shooting while sick within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I sit here with a monster head cold I wondered. Any one ever think to practice when you feel like crap?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting while sick

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Shooting while sick

As I sit here with a monster head cold I wondered. Any one ever think to practice when you feel like crap?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    As I sit here with a monster head cold I wondered. Any one ever think to practice when you feel like crap?
    I believe that practice, or training, when one is not at their best does much to replicate real life.

How many of us go out and shoot on a scheduled shooting day if it's raining?

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 20th, 2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I shot my first IDPA match with an abscessed tooth.

cj
    My chances to get out are rare, so when I get one, I go whether sick or not. I HAVE been feeling so bad I haven't gone before...but I'm also not likely to be out and about in that situation either. I feel that if you're carrying when you're running around and sick, it's helpful to know how you can perform then.

For me it's simply counter productive. I have done it. I no longer do.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When you're sick, you can't give your full time and attention to what you're doing. That's when accidents happen.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    When you're sick, you can't give your full time and attention to what you're doing. That's when accidents happen.
    Exactly my thoughts. Whatever possible advantage might be gained is surely balanced by the higher risk of a ND.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    My thoughts were that bad guys and bad situations don't necessarily give you the choice.

VIP Member
    I don't see the benefit. Is there an alternate technique I should practice for use when I'm ill? I can't think of any.

I'll just use the skills I've developed to the best of my ability on any given day, sick or healthy.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I shoot regardless. Training is training. Some meth head isn't going to come back to assault your home when you're feeling better. It's better to know now...in a training enviroment...how you "might" respond to a threat when not at 100%.

I completed day 2 of Shotgun training for my police academy with a Nasty Migrane! Not fun, but I did it.

If you decide to go, make it memorable. Get the adreneline up, you just might get over being sick.

(now that being said: double vision, diziness, loss of balance or vision, running a fever, uncontrolled body movements, or taking narcotics and I would stay away from a loaded gun)

Even IDPA doesn't come close to duplicating real life, so I don't see the advantage of practicing in inclimate weather or while ill. As another poster said, is simply adds a risk. Much like ice skaters - practice the figures - the basics. Get the muscle memory ingrained. Then, when you have to shoot for real - you won't need to think about what to do and it won't matter what shape you're in, it will be automatic.

I have, but the gun powder just made things worse...eyes really started watering and nose got really juicey. Got off two mags....and called it quits.

I have as well but I shoot enough that I usually just take that weekend off.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

I had to one day when I was sick. Pounding headache, upset stomach. I couldn't even eat lunch after the class room stuff. Between my buddy giving me a Powerade and a musinex and the smell of gunpowder I started to feel better. I ended up shooting a 296 or 298 out of 300. Granted I would have rather been in bed but I just used ear plugs and muffs and the noise didn't bother me. I swear the smell of the gunpowder actually made me feel better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links