Here I was....About to pay for my new tires.....

This is a discussion on Here I was....About to pay for my new tires..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to have some work done on the wife's Trailblazer the other day and figured while I was at it I would get a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Had to have some work done on the wife's Trailblazer the other day and figured while I was at it I would get a new set of tires put on (that I had been avoiding doing). Well, that night I did my shopping online, made about 8 or 9 phone calls to various tire stores the next morning, found the deal/price/tire I wanted and told the fella to hook me up. He had to order from his warehouse in NC and I had to wait till the next day. Called about 1 p.m and the tires were in, so off I go to the tire store. I am wearing jeans, shortsleeve button down collar shirt, and my "hide the weapon" (EOTAC) vest, carrying my G19 on strong side OWB 4 o'clock and two spare mags weakside OWB 9 o'clock. Enter the store, check the vehicle in, and slip over to the lounge area with my Tom Clancy novel to settle down for a 30-45 minute wait. I didn't notice any strange looks from any of the 3 fellas behind the counter (one fella bout 28, one fella bout 35, one fella with white hair like mine). A short while later I hear, "Sir, your Trailblazer is ready". I get up and head to the counter. As I am walking up to the counter, the "white hair" looks at me and smiles, says, "What ya carrying"? Without blinking I said, "That's kind of a personal question, but if you must know, a Verizon cellphone", and I just smiled. Bottom line, we ended up in a good discussion, since there were no other customers in the office, and found out the "white hair" was a CWP holder and the younger fella was encouraging his wife to get hers as she transported significant sums of money as the closing manager at a local bowling alley. I also attempted to encourage him to get his as well and we had a nice conversation. Just found the "WHAT ARE YA CARRYING" question quite interesting and thought I would pass it on. I guess if ya gotta be made, without totally admitting it, ya better be prepared with some kind of BS answer whether it's believable or not.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I am wearing jeans, shortsleeve button down collar shirt, and my "hide the weapon" (EOTAC) vest, carrying my G19 on strong side OWB 4 o'clock and two spare mags weakside OWB 9 o'clock.
    On occasion I wear a vest. I like it. It has lots and lots of pockets. I have to carry an awful lot of stuff for work everyday. Pockets are Good.

I can just shake the vest a little so that everything jingles, jangles and goes thump. Then I tell folks I have to wear a vest so my pants don't fall down!

I did get outed once when my gun printed just a little too much and some one noticed it. He made a similar comment as to "Whatcha carrying?" I just said "Peace and Serenity." I know, cheesy. It was the best I could come up with on short notice.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I've been a service advisor in the auto repair industry for several years now (I'd be the 20 something year old guy behind the counter, lol. And I too, have been encouraging my wife to get her permit.) and often times feel like I spot someone carrying, or see tell-tale signs of someone concealing and we have quite a bit of customers who OC. I personally would have never asked you that, I think thats kind of unprofessional. If you were clearly OCing, I *might* say something about it (pending on if there was other customers, if you were seemingly talkative,if I recognized what type of sidearm it was....etc). Furthermore, in a discussion about firearms, at most, you'd know that I was a gun owner/gun enthusiest. I'd never let on to having one on me, or in my vehicle.

Glad it worked out well, and hope you chose well on your tires.
    Last edited by Ghettokracker71; September 21st, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

"What Ya Carrying"- A Telephone poll & a 55 Gallon drum full
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the whole "protect the secrecy that I'm carrying" like you're protecting the virginity of your 16 year old daughter I really don't care, I've been carrying 35 years, when the subject comes up I always talk about it, I have change some opinions and helped several people start the process of getting their permits.

Me.....I would have said "Para-Ordnance P-14. Double stack 1911 45, ". I mean get serious that my "hide the weapon" (EOTAC) vest, screams "I'm carrying a gun" to anyone that is even half way aware of CCW, how many other people do you see on a daily basis wearing a similar style vest? It's about as common knowlege these days as the fanny pack is for carrying a sidearm.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I don't get the whole "protect the secrecy that I'm carrying" like you're protecting the virginity of your 16 year old daughter I really don't care, I've been carrying 35 years, when the subject comes up I always talk about it, I have change some opinions and helped several people start the process of getting their permits.

Me.....I would have said "Para-Ordnance P-14. Double stack 1911 45, ". I mean get serious that my "hide the weapon" (EOTAC) vest, screams "I'm carrying a gun" to anyone that is even half way aware of CCW, how many other people do you see on a daily basis wearing a similar style vest? It's about as common knowledge these days as the fanny pack is for carrying a sidearm.

I have to agree only with a slight twist. If you aren't ashamed to carry it then why be afraid to talk about it? Why is it so personal what you carry if it is so obvious that you DO carry? Its no different than someone asking what brand pants you have on.

My only problem would be if someone brought that subject up in front of others who could possibly use that information against me.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

As long as he didn't do it in front of a bunch of folks and you had a good conversation about it, all is well.

If your going to dress like a gun toter you might as well get used to folks knowing that your carrying and asking about it.

If you had a bunch of pierings or tattoos ect, and someone asked you about them would anyone be surprised. I wouldn't be.

Nothing against gun toters or folks with piercing or tattoos but hopefully you get the idea.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ya need to add a pink clip on bow tie. That throws em off every time.

Cool

No body ever asks me what I am carrying. Maybe it's the Tommy Bahama shirt, cargo shorts, Sperry Topsiders and sportfishing supply hat. I like it like that just fine.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

LMAO... when I travel on my bike, I will sometimes wear a leather fanny pack to put my phone, wallet, keys, etc. all in. The gun is in my vest or IWB and concealed.

I've had people smile and ask... "what gun do you have in there" ... like they are really smart and think anyone who has one on must be carrying and is the reason they have it on .... little do they know. I tell them..... my wallet, keys, cell phone..... and they always have this "HUH ? " look on their face. Then I get the "oh come one, you would only wear that if you were carrying"..... and at times I've opened it up to show them ... it has a wallet, keys, cell phone, etc. DUH ! ! !
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Is there anything in CC laws that says you can't talk about your gun if asked about it? Does concealed also mean not talking about it?

Another example to the anti-open carry crown that those vests point you out as well as if not better than just carrying openly. They don't call them "Shoot Me First Vests" for nothing.

Glad you had a good experience with some like minded guys. I'd be giving them my business for the foreseeable future.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Tell 'em it's a colostomy bag. They will not ask any more questions.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

GM
    IMO those vests scream "CC".
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Betto View Post
    Is there anything in CC laws that says you can't talk about your gun if asked about it? Does concealed also mean not talking about it?
    I don't know how others feel about it, but to me it's just not something I talk about with strangers. I don't discuss every detail of my personal life with just anyone. Things like the wife's/girlfriend's lingerie, personal finances, and guns are not for public discussion with any Joe Schmoe off the street. Not because I'm embarrassed, but, rather, because IT IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

Now if I were at the range or a gun shop, I might have a slightly different attitude toward the subject of guns. In that setting, under certain circumstances, I might take it as an educational moment.

Possibly it is a generational thing. So many younger people have no problem with sharing some of the most intimate details of their lives with the world, it is just incredible to me. I'm no old geezer, I'm in my thirties, and I still have a problem with this. Too much trust can burn you.

YMMV
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links