Not allowed to carry at work (but at least I now have a job).

This is a discussion on Not allowed to carry at work (but at least I now have a job). within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a long period of unemployment, with a period of under-employment prior to that, with a short period of steady employment prior to that under-employment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not allowed to carry at work (but at least I now have a job).

After a long period of unemployment, with a period of under-employment prior to that, with a short period of steady employment prior to that under-employment that had followed a period of unemployment.

All said and done, my employment has been unhealthy since 2005, and I'm greatful to friends and family who took me out to shoot a few, down a few, or just eat out. I have to also give credit to my wife and I who did a simple task few do, we lived in our means and saved during the good times for the bad. Most of all, I'm happy the Lord feed me and the birds during that time, as planning and luck always have a flip side, and for certain God carried me a bit the last few years.

I can't call it a dream job, but it is something I have not had in a long time, employment with a future.

Only problem, the position is bank related, and there is a strict no firearms policy. I have found in the last two weeks, because I can't carry at work, that I've become lazy the rest of the day, and even on off days. I've been parking off bank property, so I can at least store in the car, but in a few days, that will end, as part of procedure will require me to park on bank property.

So for those of you who are like me, and can't carry at work, and can't even store in the car, what do you do to get yourself back in the habit when you are off the clock?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    stow it in a lockbox under my seat if going somewhere carry is prohibited, and holster up once off the property
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

You are in a tight spot. The founders would roll over in their graves if they knew what is being done to you. Makes me ill.

I'd suggest making the most of this job, making yourself a very valuable employee, and then find a more suitable employer...maybe in another state. For example, Utah law says employers cannot prohibit employees keeping guns in their cars in the parking lot.

Good luck. Glad employment-wise things are looking up for you.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

as part of procedure will require me to park on bank property
    What kind of job requires you to park on company property? What if you walk, take public transportation, or get a ride from a friend?

BTW, AZ is another state that prohibits employers from forbidding legally-owned firearms in locked cars parked on company property.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Many states have that an employee can have a gun in their car on company property "legally". However the Company can still have a policy against it and fire you for violating the Company policy. It may not be a crime, but you still could end up fired.

You could keep it locked in the trunk and armed up once I was off Company property. Unless you do something stupid, there is no reason for them to do a search (which they could do) and you could refuse to open a lock box even if they did. It's "personal property" .... that's all they would need to know.

You have to decide and weigh the choices with the potential consequences. Arm up as soon as you get home and carry from there on out.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Contrats on the job - make the most of it and strap one on when you get home.

Regarding the gun in car issue - KY says the following - per handgunlaw.us

237.106 Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions. (1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on
    the property.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Thanis, I'm glad to hear things are looking up. I understand your predicament with remaining armed. I'm in the same boat. I can't carry at work or store, I work on federal property. I find myself fighting the "lazies" with regard to carry, too.

I keep reminding myself it'll be the one time it's upstairs locked up that I'll need it downstairs while we're eating or when we're in the supermarket parking lot when my kids and I are heading to the car.

Stay safe.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

You're right, for now, a job is a job. Does your job have gun sniffing dogs that patrol the parking lot? If not, take your gun with you, who's going to know the difference?

What kind of job forces u to use their parking lot?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I have similar problem - I work at a school, so even having the gun in the car on the premises is a no-no. It IS tough to keep carrying under those circumstances.

Same situation here. In Virginia, if your employer has no firearm policy not even on company property like parking lot, it's illegal to have it.
    I know that they were trying to pass law changing that in VA, and I don't know what happened with it. I think the new law got shot down, but even if it hadn't, it left provisions that if your company had a security guard, or entrance into parking lot through a security gate, or even entrance into the building via a key card access system, they can enforce their no firearms policy. Unfortunately I work for a company that has key card access and has a strict no firearms policy.

I don't take chances. I leave it at home. I live 3 minutes away and go straight home when I get off work. I arm up (especially if heading out anywhere after I get home). I always arm up on my days off.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad to hear the wonderful stimulas plan has worked out for you. Any more opening? I'm in the same boat as you--work, laid off, back to work, laid off again...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Don't fret

Keep the weapon locked in your car and the only folks who need to know are " me, myslef, and I".

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    If it is illegal for you to keep it in your car: Leave it at home.
    If it is legal for you to keep it in your car: Lock it in the car, and don't tell ANYONE. Even more emphasis on anyone.

If you park off of your employer's property, how can they enforce that?

Losing my job isn't something I am willing to risk. My employer has a policy disallowing weapons on their property and that includes storing a weapon in your car. There is no close public parking that I can take advantage of and so I end up unarmed for most of the time I am out and away from the home. Very frustrating but the "golden handcuffs" I voluntarily wear here aren't just gilded steel.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links