Too Old To Carry?

Too Old To Carry?

This is a discussion on Too Old To Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the threads have to do with carrying in some foreign country like N.Y. or our beloved IL. Has any one considered that being ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Old To Carry?

Too Old To Carry?

Most of the threads have to do with carrying in some foreign country like N.Y. or our beloved IL. Has any one considered that being ancient or a little forgetful is reason to stop carrying?
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

Actually, I have thought about that. At some point in my life (though not for many more years, I pray!), I know I will have to give up a driving license, and probably have to let the CCW expire. I just hope that by then, King Obama the 13th will have the streets safe from crime.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I'll give mine up when I can no longer pull the trigger!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I think that depends on a number of factors. I don't see minor forgetfullness that does not rise to the level of effecting safety concerns as too big a problem. There are activities to help maintain both mental and physical performance, barring mental or physical infirmities, into advanced years.

A bigger concern to me related to both ccw and driving, would be statutory and bureaucratic regulations, based on arbitrary numbers, rather than performance.

I can't really see age as a problem unless the person is legally blind or has Alzheimer's.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think that depends on a number of factors. I don't see minor forgetfullness that does not rise to the level of effecting safety concerns as too big a problem. There are activities to help maintain both mental and physical performance, barring mental or physical infirmities, into advanced years.

A bigger concern to me related to both ccw and driving, would be statutory and bureaucratic regulations, based on arbitrary numbers, rather than performance.

As we get older we become more vulnerable to the criminal who is usually younger and stronger. This is the time when we need to be able to level the playing field which is what a handgun along with good situational awareness allows us to do.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The older we get the more we become a target. So you have to decide for yourself if you are to old to carry. There are so many thousands of variables that is impossible to say, after the age of _________ you are not able to CC any more. It is a decision you need to discuss with family members and sometimes a medical proffesional. I am 45 and I hope I can carry up until the day the Lord calls me home.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Hope I don't live that long...

Quote Originally Posted by MTBSW View Post
    Most of the threads have to do with carrying in some foreign country like N.Y. or our beloved IL. Has any one considered that being ancient or a little forgetful is reason to stop carrying?
    No.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

In my state of SC you have to have proof of actual or corrected 20/40 vision or have a valid drivers license for original permit and renewals.

If the day comes I can't drive I just may carry anyway or I may not. I guess it depends on the circumstances surrounding my life at that time. Down at the jail house maybe this old geezer will have someone to talk too and play checkers with If I'm caught without a permit!

God willing that's two or three decades away and the permit laws will have changed somewhat...
    for better or worse who knows

VIP Member
    Here, the license must be renewed every 5 years and that involves taking both a written test and a range test.

While someone certainly could lose a great deal of cognitive function over 5 years, the renewal process is a limited check against that. As with driving and DLs, family and neighbors need to be vigilant and willing to intercede if necessary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Assisted living facilities are not on the prohibited areas list, so....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I can see it now, OC at the old folks home.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Has any one considered that being ancient or a little forgetful is reason to stop carrying?
    I am now 73 and in good condition both physically and mentally. I carry concealed every day with no problems - so far. I have seen other friends who are in my age group become less than competent when it comes to handling a gun. Alzheimer's, forms of dementia, etc. have all been reasons why my friends should NOT be carrying guns but, because nobody in their immediate family has the guts to take action, they persist in carrying. IMHO they are really accidents waiting to happen.

Recently, I sat down with my daughter, her husband, and my wife and we had a very frank and open discussion about the matter as it relates to me. I gave them written permission to take away my guns when they collectively thought I should not carry any more. Hope it never comes to that but, if it does, I hope it works and serious accidents are avoided.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Oooooh! I can see this now.

Nursey Mae "Mr Billy ya'll gotta put on this here diaper.."

Mr Billy "Kiss my S&W hunny"

I guess it's a personal thing. No matter what, they cant take yer guns unless yer not right in the head. Or forget how to use spell check...

Really a good point about seniors being targets. I'm 67 and that's really a reason to have a CCW. The other was I want to be a statistic about weirdos that carry guns.....
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links