Packing Husband and Wife Draw Weapons and End Attack on a Young Mother with Kids

Packing Husband and Wife Draw Weapons and End Attack on a Young Mother with Kids

This is a discussion on Packing Husband and Wife Draw Weapons and End Attack on a Young Mother with Kids within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heather Evans reported that when she and her husband drove into the local McDonalds restaurant, they immediately noticed a man brutally beating a young teenage ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Heather Evans reported that when she and her husband drove into the local McDonalds restaurant, they immediately noticed a man brutally beating a young teenage mother with two infants in the parking lot. Evans and her husband, who both have Ohio CCW permits, drew their handguns and ordered the man at gunpoint to halt his attack, and lie down on the ground.

Instead, the man took off and ran. A third witness followed him, and relayed to 911 operators the direction he had fled to. A short while later, police cornered the suspect a half mile from the attack. The suspect, 18 yr old Anthony Konopinski, refused to comply with the orders of the officers, and ended up being tased by them in order to be taken into custody.

A quick background check showed that Konopinski was out on bail on multiple felony assault charges from earlier this summer. In addition to those charges, he now faces another charge of felony assault, as well as domestic violence, child endangerment, resisting arrest and possession of drug paraphernalia charges

Heather Evans told police: "My husband and I both have CCW licenses and we were in tremendous fear of her life, and we thus drew our weapons on him."

Police said that no charges will be filed against the couple, and they praised them for coming to the aid of the defenseless young mother. This couple seems to have shown excellent judgement in the way that they handled themselves in this incident.

Tragically, the young mother has refused to press charges, and will not cooperate at all with the authorities. The scumbag Anthony Konopinski is now out free on bail yet once again!

See these news reports below: ( Note that the second article failed to even mention the role that CCW permit holders had in putting an end to the attack. )

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...-stops-beating

http://www.examiner.com/buzz-in-clev...e-at-mcdonalds

Here is the booking photo of this slimeball Anthony Konopinski:

Tragically, the young mother has refused to press charges, and will not cooperate at all with the authorities.
    This is one reason why I don't look to get involved in situations where I don't know the players, and if I do get involved it is only to the level I choose to.

If the couple had ended up shooting and killing the piece of vermin you can bet that the one being beaten would be suing the couple for killing her "Baby Daddy". Sometimes it's best to let people make their own beds and lie in it.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 22nd, 2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo

Before I even got to the end I figured the victim was either gonna say "Its all my fault,if I had ordered a hamburger instead of the more expensive cheeseburger he wouldn't have got mad.How the hell does somebody bail out on felony charges when they are already out on felony charges,the Judge needs to revoke his bond so he can experience dating behind the walls
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While I comend their heart for their intervention, I think that they were lucky that it turned out as well as it did for them.

The closest comparison I can think of, to injecting ones self into a domestic incident was an episode of Kung Fu where Caine was forced to walk through a pit full of vipers. They are truly a snake pit on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If the couple had ended up shooting and killing the piece of vermin you can bet that the one being beaten would be suing the couple for killing her "Baby Daddy". Sometimes it's best to let people make their own beds and lie in it.

Biker
    Sadly, I think that you may be right about this. No doubt she still wants to be with him, and let him be around her children.

It is a good thing that the couple showed restraint in this case, and did not get themselves into trouble.

You would normally think that the woman would have been grateful for them forcing an end to the assault. Yet, she apparently made no expression of thanks to them at all.

-

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Before I even got to the end I figured the victim was either gonna say "Its all my fault,if I had ordered a hamburger instead of the more expensive cheeseburger he wouldn't have got mad.How the hell does somebody bail out on felony charges when they are already out on felony charges,the Judge needs to revoke his bond so he can experience dating behind the walls
    It is amazing the sort of folks that are being let out on bail these days. Local governments are so bankrupt, many now cannot even afford to keep these kind of folks behind bars to await trial.

What if he goes out and kills someone the next time around?

Our society really is struggling currently. I am becoming fearful of how bad things may soon become. Here in Oregon, our state government is now bankrupt, and deep in debt. One of the leading candidates for governor, former governor Kitzhaber, recently said that the state should cut back significantly on spending money for law enforcement and the prison system. And instead use that money saved to spend on schools and early intervention for young offenders.

This proposed strategy has raised a number of eyebrows here within the state. Even though Oregon is overwhelmingly Democratic, Kitzhaber is now finding himself trailing in the latest polls.

Here in Washington they have made it so the domestic violence charge is not done by the victim. That way the victim cannot back out of the charge, also freeing them for the fear.

What more can be said. And yet I have more to say.

The children of this "mother" should be removed and placed for adoption with no looking back.

The "judge" that gave this scumbag bail (AGAIN) should be retired immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    What more can be said. And yet I have more to say.

The children of this "mother" should be removed and placed for adoption with no looking back.

The "judge" that gave this scumbag bail (AGAIN) should be retired immediately.

I don't think that you can automatically assume that it is the judge's own personal fault.

Here in the county that I live in, the county jail has had such huge cuts that there is simply not enough room anymore to jail people for crimes of this nature. The judges are forced to let them out on bail, and hope they they don't continue to re-offend. Just not enough jail beds to hold these types.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Here in Washington they have made it so the domestic violence charge is not done by the victim. That way the victim cannot back out of the charge, also freeing them for the fear.
    ^^^ Now that is a good law. Many victims of domestic violence live in fear for their lives, making decisions on that rather than justice.

Good for the couple!

It's nice to see that some folks haven't become so desensitized to crap like this. I'm not sure I'd have drawn my weapon on the punk, but one way or the other he would've stopped his assault on the young lady. Truth be known, I'd probably intervened and if he had a problem with it, I'd have peppered him up real good; just something to go with his happy meal.

I'm glad the punk was tased. Personally, I'd have like to seen the DA flopping around like a fish outa water and the mother adding a kick or two..

Here's to the good Samaritans
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Yet another reason to be a good witness rather than an intervening figure...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This is one reason why I don't look to get involved in situations where I don't know the players, and if I do get involved it is only to the level I choose to.
    Biker
    I see your point, but how would the intervening couple have felt if they had done nothing, and read about the mother being beaten to death in the next day's paper? I fully support their actions.
    Last edited by usmcj; September 23rd, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Eminem wannabe. The problem is he probably thinks he's a "real" man. To me he's a man in physiological characteristics only.

Yet another reason to be a good witness rather than an intervening figure
    Wouldn't be an option in my case. I can be a witness when a car is being broken into, but not when a young woman is sustaining a violent beating. "Hurry, send the police, operator. He's hitting her with his right hand. Now he's hitting her with his left hand..." Nope, not gonna sit and watch that.

The question of whether to draw and order him to cease at gunpoint, or whether to just directly haul him off and put him on the ground is the only issue I'd have to consider. A couple in public having a loud, angry quarrel is one thing. Usually best to MYOB. But "a man brutally beating a young teenage mother with two infants" is where I draw the line.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links