Didn't Blow My Cover

This is a discussion on Didn't Blow My Cover within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently taking an emergency trauma course. At the class tonight the instructor made a joke about a live demonstration of shooting somebody so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't Blow My Cover

Didn't Blow My Cover

I am currently taking an emergency trauma course. At the class tonight the instructor made a joke about a live demonstration of shooting somebody so that he could better explain penetrating chest wounds and pneumothorax (he has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor). Anyway---Somebody said "You couldn't do that...bringing a gun in here would be against the law." This prompted the instructor to ask the class of 40 individuals which of us owned guns. Then he asked if any of us had permits to carry. Seven people in the class raised their hands to the 1st question. One person raised their hand for the second. I kept mine down for BOTH. I am not ashamed by any means to be a firearms enthusiest or a CCW....but I kept thinking....Why in the WORLD would I want 39 strangers knowing that I may possibly have a firearm on my person, in the car, etc.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    I am currently taking an emergency trauma course. At the class tonight the instructor made a joke about a live demonstration of shooting somebody so that he could better explain penetrating chest wounds and pneumothorax (he has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor). Anyway---Somebody said "You couldn't do that...bringing a gun in here would be against the law." This prompted the instructor to ask the class of 40 individuals which of us owned guns. Then he asked if any of us had permits to carry. Seven people in the class raised their hands to the 1st question. One person raised their hand for the second. I kept mine down for BOTH. I am not ashamed by any means to be a firearms enthusiest or a CCW....but I kept thinking....Why in the WORLD would I want 39 strangers knowing that I may possibly have a firearm on my person, in the car, etc.
    Absolutely agree with you 100% Don't ask don't tell don't tell when asked indirectly

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Absolutely agree with you 100% Don't ask don't tell don't tell when asked indirectly
    +1

Distinguished Member
    absolutely agree with you guys!
    RKBA

John

Lead Moderator
    I would have attmitted owning guns, but never a CCW. Its concealed for a reason.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I am with Rocky - yes to guns but carry? Nah - for me to know and them to find out (if lucky )
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't think the answer to either question is any of their business.

sigma man

I think you did the right thing - none of their business.

Besides, would it have been illegal for someone to have a gun on them in the class? I guess that depends on where the class was held & what your state laws are.

And was there any subsequent discussion after the instructor's poll, about carrying on the job?

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

I don't mind telling folks I am a gun owner...CCW, well that's my business.

Quite frankly, I invite discussion on firearm ownership with others, especially those who disagree with me. If you think about it, most people get their impressions of gun owners from TV/Hollywierd. I would much rather have them *discuss* with me, versus being fed a steady diet of cr@p from the idiot box.

I like to show them a regular guy, happily married with 2 kids, a (crazy) dog (Lab) who enjoys shooting and sharing it with others. I invite folks out shooting (skeet, pistol, rifle)--not to push an agenda, but give them an opportunity to experience something they have only seen on TV or read about.

You know as well as I do, there are some folks who, after taking their first couple of shots, will put the firearm down immediately or burn through your ammo like its going out of style.

{stepping down from soapbox}

Sorry if it sounds like a rant.

Mike

Yeah I'd go with admitting to ownership and I'll gladly talk about the shooting sports I enjoy. Always like to paint a positive image of gun owners. Only on very rare occasions will I discuss that I carry. One such was a woman who was being stalked by a pretty scary whacko. Told her about carrying, training, where to go to get training, weapons to consider, how to carry, etc. Turns out because of all the police records surrounding this guy she was able to get an emergency issue permit. Another convert taking responsibility for their protection!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    I like to show them a regular guy, happily married with 2 kids, a (crazy) dog (Lab) who enjoys shooting and sharing it with others. I invite folks out shooting (skeet, pistol, rifle)--not to push an agenda, but give them an opportunity to experience something they have only seen on TV or read about.

Mike
    I'll second that. Well, I don't have the married or two kids part down, but I do like to show the uninformed that gun owners aren't some oddball part of society, but part of mainstream society and generally very productive members at that.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I agree with you the less people around you that know you have a ccw the safer you are. Only people tha know I carry in my immediate area is my wife and daughter.

I work in the firearms industry, so those who know where I work would figure that I own firearms. But, strangers shouldn't know those things. And it is definitely nobody's business if I have a CCW.
    Actually, here in MO, if I can correctly remember our relatively new CCW law, it addresses who may ask if I have a CCW and who I must show the card to.

VIP Member
    Who knows why the instructor would even ask those questions but it shows how many people don't stop long enough to think about what's being asked and the possible consequences of answering.

I guess some folks really are sheeple! I'm sure glad you weren't!

VIP Member
    Ditto to Rocky's comments....gun owner? Yes. Carrying? srfl is whistling......and ignoring the question.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links