Carrying a big gun

Carrying a big gun

This is a discussion on Carrying a big gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick note to convey the message that I practice what I preach. Recently I did a podcast on carrying large guns. Basically, guns ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a big gun

Carrying a big gun

Just a quick note to convey the message that I practice what I preach. Recently I did a podcast on carrying large guns. Basically, guns that are a G19 size or larger.

Today completes the 21st consecutive day of carrying my Glock at the 3:30 position in my IWB, M-Tac holster. It only takes 21 days to forge a habit. This holster is quite possibly changing the way I carry from AIWB back to 3:30 IWB. I train that way most of the time, so I'm beginning to think I should carry that way.

Today I made 4 business calls while carrying my G19. No problem at all. A loose but stylish untucked shirt and no one had a clue. They real key is to not act like you're carrying a gun. Something I forgot to mention in the podcast is that too often, I think, people who carry get paranoid that someone will find out they are carrying. So they get worried about it and literally act like they're carrying a gun. That will telegraph the fact that you are carrying and possibly ruin the secret. Just go about your day and normal activities as you normally would. People aren't looking for a gun, with the possible exception of other concealed carriers who probably don't care anyway.

Just yesterday I went to Walgreens late a night. There was a cop standing in front of the door just watching (what I don't know.) He looked at me but his eyes never looked anywhere but straight at my face. So it seems as though as long as you aren't doing anything wrong, even the cops aren't looking for carried guns.

Carry your big guns folks. Just make sure you have the proper belt, holster and clothing, you'll be just fine.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

VIP Member
    Always have, never an issue!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I can carry my G19 or G30sf quite easily. No more difficult than my Blackberry actually.

XD in an MTAC at 3:30 for me.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

10-4! For me, it's either a G23 or a 1911... If I carry anything smaller, it's in addition to one of the others...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

ruger P95 EDC

xd 45 in a purekustom holster = no problems for me.

Full size full steel 1911s, all year round.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't carry a large handgun for one reason:

I am small framed, (5'10", weigh 129 lbs), I literally couldn't hide it on my person unless I wanted to wear a coat all of the time.

If I could figure out a way to comfortably conceal the weapon, I would carry a 4" S&W .357 magnum revolver. But considering I am of small stature, I carry a Ruger LCP in 380 ACP. I can hide that thing ANYWHERE on my body I want to.

I've lived In Fl for 5 yrs now and carry a Government model 1911 with no problem,I'm 5'11 170lbs I wear a T shirt with a untucked loose fitting **** and a very good quality leather belt and custom made cross draw holster.To my knowledge noone has ever noticed my pistol.I think for the most part novice CC persons are more pron to feel like people notice,but they don't,99% of people are just to busy doing there everyday thing.Just be normal,your legal,act responsibly

The main reason I think I might be noticed is because I'm a groundskeeper at a local apartment complex, (mostly filled with college students from the left side of the state), and half of the day I'm either extending my body upwards, or bent over in a V shape, (pulling weeds, digging holes, throwing out trash), and my shirt rides up more then not. So I assume I would get noticed if I carried a large side arm.

At least, (how my logic goes), if it rides up on my side, it looks like nothing more then I might be carrying a cell phone or a Craftsman muti-tool. If I wanted to be obvious about the fact that I carry a weapon, I would OC. Yes, OC is legal in WA state, but people are irrational and I don't really want to have to deal with a MWAG call just for the police officers to find out that I'm not being a threat to anybody and I have my CPL.

Good posts and interesting thoughts. It's so frustrating how folks are afraid to carry legally whatever gun they wish because those who are ignorant of the gun laws will MWAG you. I agree with Echoone,
    Just be normal, your legal
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

If I'm carrying, i'm doing so legally. It may be concealed, but I have nothing to hide.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cplguy View Post
    I don't carry a large handgun for one reason:

I am small framed, (5'10", weigh 129 lbs), I literally couldn't hide it on my person unless I wanted to wear a coat all of the time.

If I could figure out a way to comfortably conceal the weapon, I would carry a 4" S&W .357 magnum revolver. But considering I am of small stature, I carry a Ruger LCP in 380 ACP. I can hide that thing ANYWHERE on my body I want to.
    Don't let being small stop you.

I'm 5'3" 105 lbs (I think I have you slightly beat on small size ) and I carry a commander-sized 1911 or a Glock 19 or even a full-size 1911... or any other variety of guns I want.

The OP is right. With the right belt, holster and clothes you can carry pretty much whatever you want, despite your size.

While I worked at a gun shop up in PA every time we would get a guy who would say, "I can't carry something that big," my manager would call me over and say, "Little girl," (he ALWAYS called me 'little girl') "What are you carrying?"

I would say, "My Kimber" (or Wilson once I started carrying that).

He would say, "Let's see."

And I would sweep back a cover garment or lift a t-shirt and there it would be.

Inevitably the eyes of the potential buyer would just about pop from his head and my manager would say, "If she can conceal it. You can."

Not carrying a gun by choice is one thing. If you don't want to to carry a larger gun than don't worry about it. But if you DO want to carry a larger gun and just aren't sure if you can, let me assure you.... YOU CAN!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cplguy View Post
    The main reason I think I might be noticed is because I'm a groundskeeper at a local apartment complex, (mostly filled with college students from the left side of the state), and half of the day I'm either extending my body upwards, or bent over in a V shape, (pulling weeds, digging holes, throwing out trash), and my shirt rides up more then not. So I assume I would get noticed if I carried a large side arm.

At least, (how my logic goes), if it rides up on my side, it looks like nothing more then I might be carrying a cell phone or a Craftsman muti-tool. If I wanted to be obvious about the fact that I carry a weapon, I would OC. Yes, OC is legal in WA state, but people are irrational and I don't really want to have to deal with a MWAG call just for the police officers to find out that I'm not being a threat to anybody and I have my CPL.
    These are very valid concerns. There are means of carry that are more ideal for the kind of work that you describe but, again, it's most certainly your choice as to whether you want to try to carry a larger firearm or stick with something smaller you are already comfortable with.

There are plenty of people here who are more than willing (and qualified) to give you suggestions if you want them...

Welcome to DC.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links