visiting nyc-had to leave gun at home

This is a discussion on visiting nyc-had to leave gun at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry everyday in seattle. i am here in nyc visiting my brother and had to leave my s+w 637 at home. i feel naked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: visiting nyc-had to leave gun at home

visiting nyc-had to leave gun at home

i carry everyday in seattle. i am here in nyc visiting my brother and had to leave my s+w 637 at home. i feel naked without it, especially here in such a large city. it really makes me glad to live in washington state. what do you guys do when you go to non gun friendly places to visit? andrew

2. Remove Ads

I took my wife & kids to NYC a couple of weeks ago for my wife's birthday. Flew in on a Thursday, out on a Saturday. Stayed a block from Times Square. Everytime I walked the two blocks from the hotel to Duane Reade on this or that errand, I was acutely aware of the big blank spot on my right hip where my 1911 should have been. It was not a comfortable feeling. I feel your pain.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

I have the time and the money to visit NYC, but until they repect all my rights, my wallet isn't going near their city.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

NYC is one heck of a lot safer than it was 10-15 years ago. I spent the first 20 years of my life across the river from the city, and the next 30 years about 90 minutes away. After high school, the crime and utter filth (of all sorts, physical and moral) of the city kept me away for over a decade. By the time my kids were old enough to appreciate a Broadway show, the early 90's, the city seemed to be under far better control. Cops were everywhere and seemed genuinely interested in their duties. I always regretted not being able to carry there, but if you stay on the beaten paths and don't go strolling in the deepest parts of Central Park after midnight, and you maintain good situational awareness, you'll survive and you may even enjoy your visit.

Remember, your brain is the weapon - the gun is just a tool.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I was in Rome last week, and had to leave my guns at home. You'll be fine. Get a security blankie and suck your thumb if you need some comfort.

ha ha! thanks madmac, you made me feel like linus from peanuts! i feel better already! andrew

My wife has always want to visit NYC, but I won't take one step into that place. I won't go to IL, WI (not much there for me anyway), CA, or Canada either...no guns, no money!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Being from Jersey I've never had a problem with Jersey or NYC. I feel perfectly comfortable and at home when I visit, which is pretty often. But then again, I feel comfortable anywhere I go. I think the last time I was nervous going somewhere I was maybe 12.

im not nervous at all. i said i felt naked. cheers!

I haven't been to NYC in a while...but I live just outside D.C. and have to go there on business and work on federal installations...so I guess its second nature now...

As gasmitty said...the gray matter between your ears is the best weapon you have...I have developed outstanding S.A. when I have to go into D.C...

I'm around lots of armed folks at work...I just can't be one of them, so I feel safe...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I personally know a LEO who works in the Bronx. He said that the crime stats touted by city officials are not accurate.
    Due to pressure from the higher ups to hold the line on crime (for the sake of tourism and the politicans' re-election bids), everyone is 'fudging' the crime statistics in their districts.
    The incidents of both violent and non-violent crime are much, much higher than reported.
    NYC is far less safe than many think. Just be smart and alert when you visit.
    Last edited by Brass63; September 25th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

NYC is just like any big city. Good places. Bad places. The NYPD is not so much fudging the numbers but clasifing those number diffrently, They try to prevent people from reporting an incident. (IE) You are riding on the subway and somebody steals your Ipod, Cell phone, whatever. You call the police and they will try to get you NOT to report it. Sir, we will take the report but as you said you can not describe the person what is the point in making a report. If we do take a report and catch they person are you going to take a day off work, come dowm to court,sit around all day and for sure you are going to have to come back all for a $50.00 item.

Still NYC is a great place to see. I work 25 minutes from the city and live 45 minutes away. I try to avoid it due to the traffice but when you go into the city there is nothing like it. 24/7/365.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I personally know a LEO who works in the Bronx. He said that the crime stats touted by city officials are not accurate.
    Due to pressure from the higher ups to hold the line on crime (for the sake of tourism and the politicans' re-election bids), everyone is 'fudging' the crime statistics in their districts.
    The incidents of are both violent and non-violent crime are much, much higher than reported.
    NYC is far less safe than many think. Just be smart and alert when you visit.
    I have heard this as well. I actually heard that violent crime has risen by staggering numbers 3 yrs in a row in NYC!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

I can see discouraging someone from officially reporting the theft of a low0buck item, but - how can violent crime numbers be "fudged" if indeed the rate has increased?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I was in Rome last week, and had to leave my guns at home. You'll be fine. Get a security blankie and suck your thumb if you need some comfort.
    Why do you carry at all if you feel that way...not meaning to be rude but if you are a ccw holder that is seriously the most silly thing I have ever heard. JMHO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links