I let my guard down for thirty seconds.....

This is a discussion on I let my guard down for thirty seconds..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something very interesting happened to me yesterday. I live in quite a dangerous city and have even been held up in broad daylight, while stopped ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I let my guard down for thirty seconds.....

I let my guard down for thirty seconds.....

Something very interesting happened to me yesterday. I live in quite a dangerous city and have even been held up in broad daylight, while stopped at a traffic light. I have been carrying for a while and have to be aware of my surroundings all the time while traveling which is a mental exercise requiring lots of energy, if you know what I mean. Typical BGs here work in teams on motorcycles riding pillion or on separate bikes and target unassuming pedestrians for their cell phones and other valuables.

Anyways, on Friday my wife usually goes to my in-laws house and after work, I drop by to have dinner and pick her up. Their house is located in a relatively better part of the city, and I say relatively, because even there, there have been armed robberies and home invasions, which makes me quite wary. I usually carry my sub compact in a smart-carry holster even while seated in the car, however yesterday, I decided to put it in the small storage space in the door frame so it was within easy reach just in case.

So I get to the relevant street, which is dark because of the lack of street lights and decide to re-holster the weapon, which has the manual safety on. I debate in my head whether to turn the safety off (since I always carry with the safety disengaged) and it is only a 15 yards distance between the car and gate, and I decided…….Nope! Safety should be off, and re-holster my weapon.

I park the car on the side of the road and am aware that there is a couple walking away from me and that there are at least two cars coming from behind me (the first one being a 4wd).

I realize that my laptop bag is in the back seat, and decide that I should take it inside the house, so I open the rear door to retrieve it and then close the door behind me and lock the car. Usually every time that I exit or enter my car I do a 360 degrees safety check to see if there is anyone approaching the car. This is especially important for me since most of the kidnappings for ransom take place when the bandits take the person prisoner in their own car and make them drive.

Now here is the kicker, …….since it was the end of a really hard, long day, and I really needed to relax, so I consciously, consciously, consciously let me guard down and sort of smiled to myself since it was a relaxing experience not having to be so tense and the home door being so close. I didn’t turn around to look at the passengers of the vehicles approaching or the make / model of the cars. I start walking and am now in front of the gate when I felt something really hard hit my lower back and I freeze thinking that it is a stone. Thank god I don’t feel any pain. I quickly reach around and touch myself at the point of impact and feel something wet in my hand. So I turn my head and see something white on the ground behind me and hear laughing noises from the car that is now 30 yards away in the darkness. At first the shock of the impact froze me, my worst thoughts got the better of me saying that it could have been a bullet or other projectile and that wet part was my own blood….The gate keeper / security guard is also outside now and asking me what happened I told him that someone threw something at me and he inspects the remains, and tells me that it is an egg! I got so furious when I realized that it was some kids idea of a practical joke……that I wanted to get in my car and chase them down. But the car has already turned the corner to the left side and is gone. In my anger and shock I thought I should call the police but since I didn’t get the plate or the make / model of the vehicle so that was a non starter.

I guess the reason why I am telling this story is that I let my guard down for thirty seconds and somebody completely got the drop on me..... I felt disappointed at myself and angry at those idiots for scaring me like that especially not knowing that I was carrying a gun.

Lesson learned……always try to keep alert and focus……Any of you ever felt surprised?

2. Remove Ads

Glad nobody was hurt and you kept your cool. SA is key at all times. This is something that takes a lot of work and practice. Again glad it worked out for you.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I guess the reason why I am telling this story is that I let my guard down for thirty seconds and somebody completely got the drop on me..... I felt disappointed at myself and angry at those idiots for scaring me like that especially not knowing that I was carrying a gun.
    We all have periods where we let our guard down. Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens. Just use it as the reason to stay alert, be glad it was a joke, and learn from the expirience. You were so close to the finish line that you could see, taste, and smell it. It's only natural that you let your guard down. The natural inclination to do as you did, with the finish line in sight so to speak, needs to be fought against.

Learn and move on.

Biker

You didn't let your guard down...you clearly described your surroundings(couple walking, 2 cars following one a 4x4). You knew the car was there and passing by. You don't need to stand with your back to your car and eyeball every vehicle as it passes you with a cold dead stare until the coast is clear and you can sprint to your front door. Paranoia can control your life. Some kids played a prank...it happens. Chill out and don't worry about it.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

The military works in teams for a reason. It is IMPOSSIBLE for one person alone to be aware of everything going on around you, all the time...despite some folks who claim otherwise.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Know how you feel. Once I was part of a night time four man security team in a high crime apartment complex where one of our officers had already been shot in a walk-up ambush. A car rolled up next to us. Out of the passenger window comes a barrel. As we are all drawing, and before we could move, we all got sprayed with water from a super soaker type water gun that looked A LOT like a shotgun at midnight.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Are you located in the country of Pakistan or did you just don't want to say where you are actually from? Wherever it is, what you described is much more dangerous than where I live. However, I have tried to remain alert of my surroundings. Good post.
    Last edited by mattdillon; September 27th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

Waltherize,

I think that you should keep this in perspective. Its not like someone was able to sneak up close and assault you. If somebody wants to get you and they have the time, dilligence and distance capability, they will most likely succeed.

Stuff happens and when you least expect it. It's always a valuable lesson when we can reinforce out learning without 'real' harm being done.
    Live and learn. At least you were not injured or robbed. It's a crazy world out there. Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Hard to imagine that anyone would waste food like that, in a country where so many millions go hungry. Especially protein. Many people in the 3rd world get hardly any protein at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Hard to imagine that anyone would waste food like that, in a country where so many millions go hungry. Especially protein. Many people in the 3rd world get hardly any protein at all.
    - Maybe it was one of those bad recalled eggs.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    glad your ok
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Very glad you are ok! And excellent analysis of what happened...showing that you will not make the same mistake again (altho it really was a tough situation).

I wish you more peace of mind....and more focus when necessary...in the future.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Ahh, so you're saying it was a bioweapon! Sounds like a felony charge of terrorism to me! ;-)

edit: poop these standard emoticons that don't translate

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Dude, the reason why folks in Pakistan and the rest of the third world are so skinny is because they are all hungry. Eating an egg is like a luxury to them.

Just look at these hungry kids begging for food from a passerby in Pakistan:

Most Americans have little concept of how life is in much of the rest of the world. I was reading about China's economy and how they say that their factory worker class is improving in the quality of their lives these days. The article said that factory workers are now so well off financially that they can now afford the luxury of dinning out twice a month at a McDonalds restaurant.

Imagine that! Being able to afford to eat at a luxury restaurant like McDonalds TWICE in one month!!

China is rapidly catching up to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links