Carrying while taking Medication???

This is a discussion on Carrying while taking Medication??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bsms My Mom's cancer medication caused her to start seeing people who were not there (with aggressive behavior following - attacking people ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying while taking Medication???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    My Mom's cancer medication caused her to start seeing people who were not there (with aggressive behavior following - attacking people with her cane). We got her a different prescription, but she would have been extremely dangerous if a gun had been nearby. OTOH, I wouldn't think twice about carrying after taking a prescription strength dose of Motrin. But if the medication was new to me, I'd want to use it a week or two before I would feel confident some nasty side effects couldn't cause serious problems.
    That sort of reaction could cause her to go and get a gun which has been put away or set the house on fire. Look, nothing is sure in life, but most of the time if people take their prescription medicines as prescribed, and if they are correctly prescribed for the right condition in the first place, they aren't going to go nuts. Your mom was extremely ill to begin with and may have had those hallucinations even without help from whatever meds she was given.

Again, most pain medicine and all sedatives are downers. You go to sleep, you don't get agitated.

We have talked ourselves into an irrational fear of medicines. Take what your doc tells you to take at the dose s/he prescribed, double check that it isn't a mistake of some sort (use the internet to do a little quick research) and be sensible. As someone wrote above, use caution till you know how you react. And as I wrote, have a spouse or child or s.o. double check how you are doing.

(There are and have been a lot of people who not wanting to take responsibility for their bad behavior have blamed that behavior on their medicine. Society picks up on those claims and we start getting fearful about legitimately prescribed and properly used medication.)

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, nothing to worry about. (You are not going to Costco are you?)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Yeah, nothing to worry about. (You are not going to Costco are you?)
    "Dr. Alane Olson, a medical examiner in the Clark County Coroner’s Office, testified that Scott had a number of drugs in his system when he died. The levels of morphine and xanax found by a toxicology screen conducted after his death were very high and potentially lethal, "

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...scription-dru/

In short, if true, he was taking these things in an unapproved manner at inappropriate doses. Please go back and read what I wrote about the effects of drugs when they are properly prescribed and not abused. And, in this case it is still not clear if there was real abuse or only alleged abuse. The report is from an inquest at which the defense attorney was not allowed to cross examine, and at which there was also testimony contradicting the "official" story.

Yes, if he was taking morphine inappropriately and xanax inappropriately, the result isn't surprising. But don't blame the drugs, blame the addictive personality (if that is what happened) and the conscious decision to take these things contrary to instructions; or blame the doc for poor judgment in prescribing.

Our OP's situation in any case was quite different. He wasn't asking about carrying outside the home. He was asking about within his own home. Different situation.

(ADDED A FEW MINUTES LATER: I didn't realize there was a thread on this Cosco incident running and I had not read any of it before posting the above. I'm not interested in that discussion and I don't think it is pertinent to what the OP here asked.)

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Any thoughts on carrying on meds after surgery when I'm walking on crutches? Seems that apparent weakness would make a BG think I'm an easy mark. Hopefully after a couple days the pain meds won't make me feel so loopy.
    Hopyard,
    I understood that to mean the OP was contemplating going out in public. I was assuming he didn't have BG looking in his windows at home. And besides, I thought the doctor was supposed to be part of the cover up. According to Scott's girlfriend he only had one pain pill taken the day before and his blood pressure medicine.
    To the OP,
    If you are not going to be leaving home with the weapon, you would not be a threat to anyone other than your family and the people that break in. So just because you may not feel "loopy" after a few days on the meds does not mean they are not imparing you. How many people feel fine but can't pass a field sobriety test? Are you confident enough in your abilities that you would be willing to shoot inside your home with your family and bad guys moving around?

Gasmitty, how do you think the lawyers know which medications get which labels? If it is just the lawyers behind it all Why don't all meds come with those same warning labels?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Hopyard,
    I understood that to mean the OP was contemplating going out in public. I was assuming he didn't have BG looking in his windows at home. And besides, I thought the doctor was supposed to be part of the cover up. According to Scott's girlfriend he only had one pain pill taken the day before and his blood pressure medicine.
    To the OP,
    If you are not going to be leaving home with the weapon, you would not be a threat to anyone other than your family and the people that break in. So just because you may not feel "loopy" after a few days on the meds does not mean they are not imparing you. How many people feel fine but can't pass a field sobriety test? Are you confident enough in your abilities that you would be willing to shoot inside your home with your family and bad guys moving around?

Gasmitty, how do you think the lawyers know which medications get which labels? If it is just the lawyers behind it all Why don't all meds come with those same warning labels?
    I think you are making a false assumption that ordinary pain medicine at ordinary doses can cause someone to snap. That in my opinion is not correct.

I want people to be unafraid to take their medicine as appropriate. I want docs to not be afraid to prescribe. And, the key practical issue (state specific legalities aside for the moment) is whether or not judgment is impaired. The best way to find that out is ask those around you. Mostly pain meds cause you to get sleepy. They cause may cause you to lose the fine motor control needed to operate machinery. So, the labels say something like don't operate machinery until you know how this medicine affects you. That's the answer. Determine how the medicine affects you by asking those around you if you are or are not good to go.

These meds by themselves don't cause people to do crazy stuff unless seriously abused and taken in G-d awful combinations.

The Cosco guy if the allegations are correct was an abuser and was taking really heavy duty stuff, morphine, rather than what I think our OP is speaking of, vicodin, or tylenol + vicodin. OP's situation is a different situation from the Cosco guy.

So, I'm with Gasmitty on this one.

Oh, here is one of the possible side effects of morphine: "hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)" and explains the experience by one of our participants ill mother. Another which is related is agitation.

For discussion purposes I'm assuming our OP was not talking about morphine. Yeah, if you are taking that you are too ill to be carrying.

Just for the sake of the conversation, my prescription is for Oxycodone (generic for Percocet). The bottle indicates "may cause drowsiness" and "use care when using machines." The directions say to take 1 every 4 hours, which is exactly how I've taken it except I am not taking it in the middle of the night. After the first 24 hours of taking it, it isn't making me feel light headed or sleepy. My wife, an RN, said this is normal. If I have to continue taking this junk and have to venture out, I will trust her judgement 100% as to whether I should carry or not. Times like this is when it would be nice to have a spouse who carries also. My wife isn't pro-gun or anti-gun, they're just not for her. She understands my motives and supports my decisions based on how serious I take it and the safety precautions I take. She won't hesitate to tell me one way or the other in no uncertain terms.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The lawyers surely have expert input from medical professionalsÖ but donít believe that any of that input is necessarily repeated verbatim in those warnings. The lawyers add a huge layer of conservatism to cover potential use by idiots.

In a long engineering career, I have had a great deal of contact with manufacturers of consumer goods, commercial and military aircraft and accessories, medical prostheses, and perhaps more contact that I'd prefer with liability lawyers representing both sides in product liability lawsuits. My findings and reports have been used by both sides in those legal actions and for subsequent 'defensive' actions against potential product "misuse" . From that exposure, I can assure you that manufacturers apply extremely conservative warnings that serve to protect them against future legal action.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In a civil case, a lawyer could say your judgement was impaired if you had less than 8 hours sleep the night before or you've got a cold and a fever. Diabetics can get very confused if their blood sugar drops to a very low level. Should they not carry just in case it drops? I'm hypoglycemic, but my body is accustomed to having a somewhat lower than normal blood sugar level and I function normally. These are all things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    They cause may cause you to lose the fine motor control needed to operate machinery. So, the labels say something like don't operate machinery until you know how this medicine affects you. That's the answer. Determine how the medicine affects you by asking those around you if you are or are not good to go.
    I was not thinking about someone snapping, I was concerned with being able to hit a target under stress.
    Instead of asking those around you for an opinion, how about under very close supervision going to the range and seeing if the medication has effected your group size? The target is not going to worry about hurting anyone's feelings. It shows what it shows. If you can still shoot the same size groups you did last week, great! If not, now you know.

As long as you can see straight, shoot straight, and identify an intruder, I don't see the problem. I try not to over think or over analyze things. It is what it is.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieth View Post
    As long as you can see straight, shoot straight, and identify an intruder, I don't see the problem. I try not to over think or over analyze things. It is what it is.
    I think you summed it up about right. If you can see the intruder, identify it as an intruder, and it actually is an intruder and not
    an hallucination or your cousin, and you can point shoot, you've about got it made.

I agree. The discussion has really revealed to me that a responsible gun owner is going to at least ask themself the question and if they have any reservations they will likely take some precautionary measures accordingly. Hopefully these discussions have been thought provoking and will spur consideration as we will all be in that situation at some point. The sharing of ideas and perspectives is how we utilize this forum and the collective wisdom to learn and grow. This discussion has given me a lot of insight. Thanks to all.

Im impressed by the variety of opinions expressed by the members of this forum. I just wanted to add that it is important to remember that all drugs, especially opiates, affect us all differently. There are many factors including weight, age, health, even what we ate that day that can make the level of relief and/or impairment we get from pain meds change. As many already stated, only you can know when it is safe for you to carry or not.
    Not all impairment is the same. In my opinion, I could safely carry in my own home while under the influence of pain medication, but maybe not as safely if under the influence of america's favorite drug, alcohol. Trust in yourself that you will be able to tell when it is safe if you are lucid enough to be thinking about it and typing about it. I hope you feel better soon. Knees are designed poorly and take some time to heal, dont rush it. andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That sort of reaction could cause her to go and get a gun which has been put away or set the house on fire...

...Your mom was extremely ill to begin with and may have had those hallucinations even without help from whatever meds she was given...

...We have talked ourselves into an irrational fear of medicines. Take what your doc tells you to take at the dose s/he prescribed...
    1 - agreed. That is why she was in a home with 24 hours care.

2 - Incorrect. When we stopped the medicine, the hallucinations stopped.

3 - Maybe. The doctor insisted there was nothing wrong with the prescription. We stopped the medicine and the hallucinations went away. We found a different doctor...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    1 - agreed. That is why she was in a home with 24 hours care.

2 - Incorrect. When we stopped the medicine, the hallucinations stopped.

3 - Maybe. The doctor insisted there was nothing wrong with the prescription. We stopped the medicine and the hallucinations went away. We found a different doctor...
    All good points and sorry things had to go that badly for her and you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links