Carrying while taking Medication???

This is a discussion on Carrying while taking Medication??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I blew out my knee Friday and had it injected to get me through the weekend. Looks like I'm due for an MRI Monday and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying while taking Medication???

Carrying while taking Medication???

I blew out my knee Friday and had it injected to get me through the weekend. Looks like I'm due for an MRI Monday and then knee surgery. The Doc put me on some high powered pain meds and anti-inflamitories. They pretty much have kept me knocked out and loopy. I'm not really "carrying" anywhere because I can't walk. Hanging around in my recliner with my leg up and ice on my knee watching football all day, I've had a handgun with me.

Any thoughts on having a firearm in reach at home on meds? My wife doesn't carry or shoot, so home defense is solely on me with two young kids at home. The prevelance of home invasions leaves me weary of being unarmed when I can't get up and get to a weapon quickly.

Any thoughts on carrying on meds after surgery when I'm walking on crutches? Seems that apparent weakness would make a BG think I'm an easy mark. Hopefully after a couple days the pain meds won't make me feel so loopy.

I'm a stickler for no carrying while drinking (which I rarely drink anymore anyway), but what about prescription medications for a medical issue? I appreciate the wisdom and experience of the folks here, so I'm asking for your thoughts and perspective to help me evaluate the situation clearly. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Some medications are as bad or worse than alcohol regarding impairing your judgment. I would show the wife how to operate the most simple firearm that you own, just in case, keep your cell phone handy and kick back and relax. Hope that the knee gets fixed promptly.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

You might have your wife keep the firearm someplace safe and convenient, and deliver it to you in any emergency. She could know to bring the gun to you before she would answer the door or if anyone heard noises about.

VIP Member
    I think your post speaks to your retained competence.

The issue that is important is judgment.

In your case you have clearly retained your ability to think, to reason, to be cautious, to be aware of the potential for misjudgment. So I think that isn't an issue.

You have to be your own judge on this one. If you feel impaired then by ALL means do not carry. You mention your children, is it worth the risk to them that you may misjudge a situation? There are no do overs with a firearm.

Maybe look in to less than lethal such as OC spray that if used in error the outcome is usually reversible.

Just be careful what ever you decide and get your pegs working right again, that's a major pain both figuratively and physically.

Sorry about your knee!! Been there twice myself. Push for all the rehab you can talk the insurance company out of.

From my point of view altered level of consciousness is altered level of consciousness, doesn’t matter if it is alcohol or meds.

Medications will affect each of us differently. You will have to decide for yourself how much they alter you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by stevem174; September 26th, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Just don't kid yourself into thinking you are doing better than you are, and how the meds are effecting you... be bluntly truthful with yourself.

Myself.... me on pain killers of the narcotic variety and a gun ..... NO WAY ! You would agree if you saw how many pain meds affect me, there is not way you would want a gun near me. That's also the reason I will not use those meds at all, no matter what. It's a good thing Ibutropen does more to get rid of pain for me than a Lortab will.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Lead Moderator
    Impaired is impaired . Consider how this would play out in court if you did have to use your firearm .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Impaired is impaired . Consider how this would play out in court if you did have to use your firearm .
    This.

Now, I won't lie to youi; I love the pain meds. I have a lifetime supply (not really, but I do have a lot). However, I'm so protective of my CHL and my right to carry, that I just tolerate my daily headaches and not take the meds. The pain meds do cloud your judgment.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

+1. You should definitely weigh the repercussions of using the weapon.

Me personally - If I didn't feel my judgement and reflexes were compromised, I'd still keep a weapon "immediately accessible" within the home.

I think you said it all right there, narcotics would be treated just like alcohol, you can't mix either with trusting your judgement with a gun.

x2 I'm all for teaching the wife the basics (even as really a matter of safety so she can at least handle and clear it without issue); but until you're off of them I'd leave the gun in the safe check the locks and keep the cellphone handy if you need to get help on it's way fast. Loopy is a broad term, but everything from not separating dreaming from reality to your motor skills being slowed to where you pull the trigger and target has moved and rounds go to the wrong place can play into hypothetical effect here. It's a temporary thing, you can take other steps to continue to minimize home invasion risks, and help your wife play a role in response as well; but I'm for taking the cautious approach, acknowledging you're impaired, put the handguns away until this phase passes and be extra vigilant in other areas.

Glock Certified Armorer

Thanks for all of the feedback. Many of these things had crossed my mind which led me to post about it. The collective wisdom here at DC helps me put things into perspective. Thank you for your insight and suggestions. Some changes are in order during this timeframe (which my goal is to make that as short as possible).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you are in a situation that would require a firearm imagine how it would play out without one. In my house, it would solely depend on how they effected me. Trying to figure out what anyone else would think of it would not be an issue. Carrying in public may be approached with more concern for what others might think. But that's me. Ultimately, you'll have to see what they do to you and make the decision then. You should also talk it over with your wife and tell her to be completely honest with how she feels about it after seeing you on the meds. A trusted second opinion will probably be a better judge than your medicated opinion.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Narcotics are wonderful if used properly and monitored. After my bypass surgery I was on morphine then oxycodone, hydrocodine and finally Tylenol3 until I was healed. My doctor worked with me in adjusting the dosages to alleviate the pain yet remain fully functional and alert. On a side note these drugs are bad for causing constipation so be sure to keep a laxative or two available if needed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links