conceal carried for the first time ever in public tonight... not walmart

This is a discussion on conceal carried for the first time ever in public tonight... not walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; finally decided to carry tonight for the first time, carrying a walther pps 9mm in a crossbreed quikclip... went out to king soopers for some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: conceal carried for the first time ever in public tonight... not walmart

conceal carried for the first time ever in public tonight... not walmart

finally decided to carry tonight for the first time, carrying a walther pps 9mm in a crossbreed quikclip... went out to king soopers for some snack food and decided i might as well carry since that king soopers wouldnt be busy and not a lot of people would be around...

wow i was nervous as hell, from leaving my place to driving to King soopers, to walking around stood up straight and trying my very best to not print or look guilty of something, quite a few night employees were there, which made me a little nervous, walked around for about 20 mins, went to check out and got it all done and home safe.

my SA was on super high and i was very very mindful of my firearm, i am still thinking about it all...

i was expecting a few cops to be at the front waiting for me or to come down my aisle and ask me to come outside or something, but im glad nothing happened... i will carry again next week or so, but im still a little stunned now...

any words of advice or tips?

thanks all

2. Remove Ads

Try to relax, not your awareness, but your anxiety. Eventually it will be just like wearing pants in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Try to relax, not your awareness, but your anxiety. Eventually it will be just like wearing pants in public.
    Like the Buck Owens song, "Act Naturally".

I don't even notice my guns anymore, but I sure notice when I don't have them.

Biker

Relax, no one knows...it doesn't matter...be yourself.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on a successful first voyage!

**I dont mean this critically at all**, but I dont understand why people are so nervous when they start carrying? Why dont you feel safer? Or more confident? Most importantly....why is your SA even higher? Shouldnt it always be high (in a perfect world)?

Esp. since it seems that most people have been shooting and keeping guns for years before anyway. Is it the added responsibility? I can understand that.

I also can understand the part about worrying if you are printing.

My first times, it didnt bother me at all except to find out that my fullsize gun was alot heavier than I anticipated.

Apologies if any are offended.....I'm just curious.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

**I dont mean this critically at all**, but I dont understand why people are so nervous when they start carrying?
    I guess if you don't carry around the house before you get your permit, the gun feels heavy and noticable at first to you, so you are just really afraid that it will be that obvious to eveyone else too.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I guess if you don't carry around the house before you get your permit, the gun feels heavy and noticable at first to you, so you are just really afraid that it will be that obvious to eveyone else too.

I didnt do that either. I picked up my new gun (had ordered it) at the gun shop, checked it out with the staff and shot a box of ammo, and then carried as I ran errands on my way home. It was heavy, I definitely noticed that.

(Carried with one in the chamber too...I'm just reading the latest thread on that. Good scenarios for!)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I remember the feeling! I've been carrying for over a year now. Continue to carry around the house to get used to the feel and get comfortable with how well you can keep it concealed.

Next time, try a big box store where you can walk past people then discreetly turn around and see the blank sheep stare on their face because THEY DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING!

Honestly, it gets easier. When I first started carrying, I told a friend I had my gun on me and they couldn't even guess where it was. The same day I couldn't tell if my wife was carrying and I know exactly where she carries. (She was carrying by the way)

Comfort comes with familiarity. I think of my gun much like my wedding ring. Most of the time I don't even notice that it's there. But if I take it off it sure feels strange!
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Avoid the urge to constantly feel if the gun still there.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    "Comfort comes with familiarity. I think of my gun much like my wedding ring. Most of the time I don't even notice that it's there. But if I take it off it sure feels strange!"
    and much like a wedding ring, there could be dire consequences for its removal from your body outside of the home, i strapped up and open carried when i first got my LTCH, no biggie, was a little worried about people behind me though
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by j1999t View Post
    wow i was nervous as hell, from leaving my place to driving to King soopers, to walking around stood up straight and trying my very best to not print or look guilty of something

any words of advice or tips?
    It's that there that could make folks around you perk up their SA and think exactly what you're trying to avoid. Like others have said, just relax and know that you're perfectly legal in your actions and have nothing to fear from Law Enforcement. Just make sure your cover garment is covering the firearm before entering and if bending over to get what ever just make natural movements and be sure it doesn't reveal your secret weapon. Everyone has had the same feeling when they carried for the first time I would imagine, I know I did way back when. Just know that everyday gets easier and as long as you're legal to carry in the location, it's no big deal. Look out for the NO CARRY signs if your state gives then the weight of the enforcement. In fact, I'd suggest to anyone new to CC. Get very familiar with the CC law/regulations for your state and the places you frequent.

Stay safe out there and congratulations on the first of many safer trips out and about.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Relax, you're not doing anything illegal, and you are the only one that knows it is there. People aren't "looking" for it. You'll get used to it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I don't even notice my guns anymore, but I sure notice when I don't have them.

Biker
    Same here.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    You need to relax you are not doing anything wrong and no one knows you are carrying. Just act normal. If you act all jumpy people will notice and the police will get a suspicious persons call.

VIP Member
    As others have said, just relax. The more you carry the more comfortable you become with it. If you have your permit and are not going someplace prohibited by law then you don't have anything to worry about.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links