Interaction with LEO's while carrying - questions

This is a discussion on Interaction with LEO's while carrying - questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure this is the appropriate location for this question, but here goes: Question 1) Say I get pulled over for speeding... I'm sure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm not sure this is the appropriate location for this question, but here goes:

Question 1) Say I get pulled over for speeding... I'm sure that the officer can see via running my plate that I could be the driver of the vehicle and I have CCW permit.

Will he handle/approach me differently than usual?

Should I do anything "extra" (such as put two hands out the window so he can see them)?

Question 2) Suppose an off duty LEO can tell by location of bulges on me that I might be carrying. Would he typically approach me and ask for permit? Would I ask to see his badge first? What usually happens in this case?

VIP Member
    Someone else can answer the LEO notification question, as I don't know.

However in any traffic stop it is a good idea to keep your hands visible on the wheel until the officer gets to the window. Don't rummage around looking for your documents. At night turn on your dome light.

DO NOT exit the vehicle or hang your hands out of any windows. Just put them on the steering wheel and wait. Roll the window down when he asks. Passengers should sit still with their hand visible in their laps. Follow instructions and be polite.

Some LEOs will and some won't have a problem with CCW holders. Some know we are good guys for the most part, some don't like guns or people who carry them. For every story about someone being hassled about their gun, there is one or more about a LEO not writing the ticket or being professional during the stop.

As for handling the stop I notify the officer if I am going to access a part of the vehicle where my gun may be. When I drive long distance I typically take it off my person. Around town and such I wear it on me. If the gun will be exposed or my hand near it I let the officer decide how they wish to proceed. My state doesn't require notification, so if the gun won't be exposed I do not notify.

#2 - I've never heard of an off-duty LEO stopping someone for CCW. I suppose it could happen. They should immediately identify themselves and show their credentials. If they don't you should ask to see them. Show them your permit, not your gun.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Assistant Administrator
    Another old favorite

State law will affect your obligations as to whether you must declare or not. In PA we have no obligation but I personally would mention it as a courtesy - cops I speak to on balance suggest they would prefer to know they are dealing with the good guys.

Many tho consider as the carry is their lawful right they need not tell - fine - it is just a personal decision and there is a split between folks as to how they will choose to go.

I think this will fit better in CCW carry issues and discussion.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

For question #1 The registered owner is not automatically "run out" (checked for wanted ,permits ect) by the time the officer makes contact with the occupants. This is usually done after contact ,or when the officer requests it. So the officer may not know you are carrying.
    I prefer somebody who has a CCW to pull out your permit and drivers license and present it to the officer when asked. Also advise the officer that you are carrying and the location of your weapon. I would also keep my hands on the steering wheel during the entire contact. This is the procedure I use when I am pulled over.
    As far as approaching the car any different I personally do not. I treat every car stop the same . I assume that the person has a weapon on them.
    For Question #2 If I am off duty, I am off duty! I wont mess with anybody unless they are commiting a crime in front of me and I feel I MUST intervene right away or else someone will possibly loose their life.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I agree with everything said before, My only encounter was with a state Trooper, I kept my hands on the wheel and after he asked me to get my liscense and registration, I notified him that I had a weapon and a permit, BEFORE making any move to get ANYTHING. He asked where the weapon was, and where the documents were.

Here in Virginia, the only way a LEO is going to get "flagged" that you have a CCW is if he runs "you" through the database, It's linked to you DL # not the vehicle registration. So the checks he does in the car before approching will not show him anything. Any LEO's here in VA, Please correct me if I am wrong or this has changed.

I have nothing to hide, I just want to make sure all parties involved are comfortable and we all go on our merry way.

#2, I'm not LEO, so I can't help you there.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator
    Ditto:

Each state should have something in print as to if you are legally obligated to notify or not.

In Pennsylvania we are not required to notify but, I sure am doing it anyway out of common courtesy to the officer.

In addition I am keeping my hands very visible and with palms up on the steering wheel and then waiting for instructions from the officer as I inform him/her that I am carrying.

That is just me personally & what I have decided to do (for myself) if I am ever stopped in my vehicle.

It's fine with me if that same information additionally comes up when the vehicle tag is run.

The officer wants to go home to his/her family at the end of the day and so do I ~ no less than him or her.

I don't like possible Boo~Boos when loaded firearms are involved & the stopping officer will not know me from Joe Schmoe Stranger so...I am telling him that I am armed.

I was very surprised recently when the young LEO sitting next to me in a court room did not seem to be aware of the fact tha PA LTCC holders are not legally required to notify according to PA State law.

I want to avoid any possible/potential problems.

I have my canned spiel already burned into my brain.
    It is:

"Officer, I am legally licensed to carry a firearm concealed ~ I am armed now and I am waiting for your instructions." (that said with hands visible)

Staying alive during a vehicle stop trumps ego.
    For me I want to let the officer know that I am armed first ~ short & sweet ~ with hands visible.

Then the LEO can ask me where the firearm is located & we can proceed from there.

In PA...people that are LTCC holders normally get treated great and with respect.
    Sometimes even extra nice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Question 2) Suppose an off duty LEO can tell by location of bulges on me that I might be carrying. Would he typically approach me and ask for permit? Would I ask to see his badge first? What usually happens in this case?
    I see that you are in CT.

What you are asking depends entirely on the "attitude" of officers in your area, so a response from how an officer acts in Arkansas, where I am from ,may be totatlly invalid in your state.

So I'll qualify it by saying,"here" no one would mess with you. If any off duty LEO questions you for anything, you are completely within your rights to ask for his credentials before you say anything. Any LEO knows this, and should have no problem showing them to you.

Here, we are required to identify ourselves with badge and idea when making contact.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Conn., huh?

I'd suggest www.packing.org to answer that question. I would have answered it for you, but I couldn't get that site to come up on my 'puter this fine Friday mornin'.

In Oklahoma you have to notify the LEO if you are armed. I produced my CCW license to the Game Warden on the opening day of dove season last year, because it qualified as "an official law enforcement contact".

She thought that was pretty funny.

Yup, I said "she".

We're equal opportunity out here in the Sooner State.

Me personally I have my vehicle "prepared" I keep an envelope, with my registration and insurance info, on my sunvisor. I also when entering my vehicle, place my wallet in my console, making everything easily accessable, with little movement. A couple weeks ago, I was stopped in a license check, he asked for the typical, license registration and proof of insurance. I handed him my license and permit, proceeded to hand him my registration and insurance and he said that won't be necessary, have a nice day
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Personally, required or not I would inform a LE during a traffic stop. Better safe than sorry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I've had only good experiences with local cops in dealing with my CCW. In fact, they were glad I was carrying.

If I'm pulled over for something I did wrong, I make sure I move slowly, try to keep both hands in plain sight and on the steering wheel, I have the interior light on if it's dark out, and I have my license, registration, proof of insurance and permit ready before he even walks up to my window. If he's already run my plates, then he already knows I have a permit before he approaches. So when I inform the officer, it isn't a matter of bending over for authority, but a sign of good faith. We both want to go home safe and sound.

My brother was stopped at a roadblock and the state trooper screamed at him because he saw the gun on his hip and he wasn't informed of it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

#1:Haven't been in this situation yet, but would definitely inform and have my stuff ready when LEO got to the window. Most LEO I know aren't out to "get" you. It just means more work for them. They just don't want any surprises. Before I carried I had a cop thank me for having everything ready for him when he got to the window. He told me I would be suprised how many people don't even know they have to have that stuff with them every time they drive.
    #2:Doubt that would ever happen, but I would ask to see his/her cred's and then happily show him/her mine. If he/she feels it's important enough to ask, which I doubt they will, I don't have too big a problem obliging him/her. I don't know. I'm still a newbie and I see it as it would make him/her nervous if I was reluctant about it. makes them think I'm up to no good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Personally, required or not I would inform a LE during a traffic stop. Better safe than sorry.
    +1

doesn't matter if its required or not it's a courtesy to inform the officer that you are lawfully armed. He'll appreciate it. Most of the experiences I've had, and have seen have been very positive with LEO across the country. Most of them understand that you have to be a fairly upstanding citizen to get it. And for me it has been that they do treat me differently, they almost seem relieved to be dealing with a CCW holder instead of an unknown quanity.

as far as off duty LEO's, my recommendation is always ask for ID. Any good cop will understand.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Just a side comment about something I've heard in the past in ref; to this kinda question . " if you put your hands out the window " instead of just relaxing them on the wheel . might throw up a red flag to the officer in a bad way like a felony stop.

VIP Member
    Per my LE agency policy, I have to inform responding LEO's that I'm an armed agent....even if off-duty while carrying.

Like others have stated, I'd keep my hands on the top quarter of the steering wheel, creds and DL in hand and if night-time, my interior lights on.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links