The obligatory CC'd for the first time thread

This is a discussion on The obligatory CC'd for the first time thread within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you all are tired of reading these feel free to just ignore my post. I decided I was NOT going to post one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The obligatory CC'd for the first time thread

The obligatory CC'd for the first time thread

If you all are tired of reading these feel free to just ignore my post. I decided I was NOT going to post one of these but I had a slightly interesting experience...

Received my KY permit today after 6 weeks and two days. I have been eagerly awaiting getting my permit for years, since well before I was 21. So I pick up my permit, drop my 1911 into my almost new CBST (been wearing it around the house), and off we went. Just wearing a large t-shirt untucked for cover. No, I didn't go to Walmart. Just a few errands, auto parts store, harbor freight, library. Acted completely normal, no big deal really. I've OC'd some so CC feels very discreet even if my waist isn't perfectly symmetrical.

Well as I'm heading into the library, there's those metal detector looking things to keep people from stealing books. As I approach, I realize I'll be going through those, and I have a gun, and I wonder what sets them off? No problem if it does go off, I haven't done anything wrong, but man I hope it doesn't go off. The INSTANT I walk through the dang thing it goes off. I keep walking and ignore it. From a few feet away I glance back and, sure enough, the lady and small child that were leaving as I was entering had sent it off, as they came back through it went off again. As I left it did not go off, so I guess its looking for some sort of tracking device on books or DVDs, which makes sense because if metal alerted them tons of people would set them off with knives, large belt buckles etc.

Definitely got my blood pumping, but I don't think I got nervous enough that anyone would notice. Although my gun does creak awfully loud in this new holster... particularly in the obligatory library dead silence, need to get it broken in ASAP but that takes time and sweat. All in all a success, I didn't have any need for it but I was prepared to defend my and my wife's lives and glad I can now legally carry it.
    Be Prepared

2. Remove Ads

Most like to post their first experience. Sounds like you'll do fine.

Welcome to the world of heightened situational awareness.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Glad it was a non-event experience.
    Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    No pics of the trek?
    You know...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a good time! Those detectors always look like they're there to get'cha!
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Thanks for posting. I don't think I've been through one of those detector things yet. Not that I noticed anyway.

GM
    You will get used to it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You will get to the point that you no longer even think about it, but you'll be happy it's there should you ever need it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats on the new permit and the first trip carrying concealed. In Ohio, you can't carry in government buildings, and the libraries around where I live are owned by the county--therefore, government buildings and off limits.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Glad to hear your first outing went well. I've read that most firsts are the wallywalk as well. Mine wasn't, ny first outing was Target. Didn't catch it until my wife told me that my first carry experience was at a store called Target. Congrats on the permit too. Stay safe.
    WT

My first time CCW was at work. It was rather uneventful other then as I got out of my car, my shirt rode up and I wan't aware of it. I was standing there having my morning cigarette, and I noticed this guy who used to be in the navy look at my sidearm, and then look at me and "clear his throat" while pointing to my side. I looked down to see what he was looking at, and noticed that I was unintentionally OCing.

I said a variation of "oh snap", and pulled my shirt over it to conceal it. After I pulled my shirt down to cover it up, he said "Yeah, you might want to keep it concealed around here. People freak out too easy around here". I said "Good point", and finished my wake-up cigarette. Beyond that, nothing else happened other then he realized I am armed.

C5A
    Congratulations of your permit. The first few times I walked through a detector I was holding my breath but they never went off. Apparently they are just for stolen merchandise.
    NRA
    Glock 22
    Colt Cobra 38 Spl

Welcome!

welcome to the club, stay safe!

Congrats and welcome to the club.....

One comment about the squeaking.. I have been using a supertuck for about two years with my springer xd.. It STILL squeaks...... That is the only thing I hate about the holster.. To me it usually doesn't make any difference as natural background noise drowns it out.. But not at home.. so my family always knows when i carry at home...... i generally switch to a snubbie when i get home so the sound doesn't annoy me to much.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links