Weapon was drawn Ready to Fire - Dog

This is a discussion on Weapon was drawn Ready to Fire - Dog within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I and our old dog like to take a walk on a long dirt road that is really more of an old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon was drawn Ready to Fire - Dog

Weapon was drawn Ready to Fire - Dog

My wife and I and our old dog like to take a walk on a long dirt road that is really more of an old logging road now, only used by off-road vehicles. On Saturday, we decided to walk all the way to the other end (about 3 miles) where it becomes a regular road in the next town north.

I was carrying our 7 month old baby girl in a Baby Bejorn (something like a backpack that you wear in front instead of on your back) with my baby facing forward. In that configuration, her feet hang just below my belt line. I also had my S&W M&P 45 FS in a High Noon IWB leather holster at about 1:00, where I normally carry it.

As we reached the end of the dirt part of the road, we were approaching a house that is situated on a large plot of land. The homeowner there has dogs, which up until today, had always been indoors when we did this walk. Today was different. As we went past a large bush and could just see the house, a medium sized (70-80 lbs) german shepard sprang off the ground and started running towards us, from about 25 feet away and barking loudly.

All at once, it seemed like I had my left hand out to push back my wife, and as I was stepping backwards and yelling, "Whoa! Stay! Stay! Stay!" my M&P was in my hand and sights were aligned at top of the dog's chest. The dog closed to within 10 feet when it slowed down, appearently to just go into a more "hold this position" stance.

The homeowner was outside in the yard, and after hearing me yell, started yelling out for the dog to stop and come. I glanced up and saw the homeowner running towards the street and headed our way. The bush partially blocked the view, so I could only see the homeowner's head.

At this point, the dog turned and waited for the homeowner to come up, so I lowered my gun and hid it behind my back. As the homeowner approached, I did a quick 360 to re-holster and then we had a brief talk. Because it is such a quiet area with few houses and a lot of land, and my dog was also not on a leash, it was a no harm no foul talk about the aggresive (home defense) reaction of the shepard.

On the walk back home, my wife told me she was impressed with how well I handled the situation. She then asked if I was going to shoot the dog, to which I responded, "No doubt. If it kept coming, there was no way I was going to risk it getting its teeth into our baby."
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

2. Remove Ads

A man's gotta' do, what a man's gotta' do...

Glad it all worked out well for you and the family.
    Sounds like this Shepherd was just guarding his home, not looking for a fight.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm glad that you drew your weapon as seemed necessary....yet did not shoot.

Good instincts and good judgement. Well done!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Well handled! Sounds like the Shepard was just making sure you weren't going to hurt his family either. Glad you were ready for the worst though! stay safe.
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Agreed, good instincts and good judgement, and a little different than the other dog scenario thread going on. In this case, I might be more inclined to fire before contact is made or the dog gets too close, since you've got a baby, a wife and even your old dog to think about. You're brain must have been in overdrive as the dog was approaching. Good call.

This seems like a good time to carry pepper spray, since you can cover your girl's eyes and face with one hand if you need to spray, but it's hard to cover both her ears if you need to shoot. Unless you wife is wearing her. Lots to think about here.

Cool

Good job and I am glad you did not have to shoot the dog. I hope it never happens again but if it does and you have time yell "No ,"No". Most dogs who are not wild understand this word and it's meaning if they have had any training at all by their owner. When I walk my pitbull and doberman I always have a 2 oz. can of pepper spray just in case and my neighborhood dog owners are pretty good about keeping their dogs restrained.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most any dog will "establish" its turf in the presense of other dogs and/or strangers. Glad to hear it all turned out well and shots were not necessary (they seldom are).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That reminds me, Old School... I was walking my two shortly after moving here, in the road (no sidewalks), and a large dog came bounding at us, obviously playfully. It's owner was in the yard working. I pivoted my two around and put myself between them and his dog, yelling "control your dog". He came running over and grabbed his dog, telling me not to worry. That his dog was friendly. I told him I was worried about his dog, not mine, lol. I always carry pepper spray now.

Just some food for thought, as mentioned by several other posters, consider getting some pepper spray in addition to a firearm. Don't forget that you would be subjecting a child to sound levels that can easily cause a permanent hearing loss.

The cost of adding a defensive spray is not so great when you look at the possible gains.

Good instincts, great reaction and job well done.

Good job. My only suggestion would be to have your wife wear the Bjorn. If you had to fire your weapon to protect them you might damage the baby's hearing....being just 12-18 inches from your gun in the Bjorn. Your wife could then retreat to a safer distance while you kept an eye on the aggressive dog. My first thought when you said your holster was at 1:00 was "it's going to be hard to draw with that Bjorn on"....doesn't sound like that's the case though.

Stay safe.

cj
    Actually, i'm impressed that you could carry at 1:00 while carrying a Baby Björn and draw a FS pistol!

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just some food for thought, as mentioned by several other posters, consider getting some pepper spray in addition to a firearm. Don't forget that you would be subjecting a child to sound levels that can easily cause a permanent hearing loss.

The cost of adding a defensive spray is not so great when you look at the possible gains.
    1. I do carry pepper/OC also, but it is kept in front right pocket. It's SABER (see my Avatar pic, 12:00 little pepper/OC canister), in a pleather snap closer carrying case (not in pic), which I have a quick clip attched to a D-ring on the belt loop just above the pocket. Although it is easy to grab the clip and pull it from my pocket, I haven't practiced enough flipping the snap and extracting the can from the case. To this point, it ususually ends up with me having to use both hands and extra seconds to get it deployed. I've been considering replacing it with something easier to deploy due to this very reason. My thoughts to this point have been a situation requiring OC might be more forgiving of time to deploy (i.e. some beligerant drunk or punk that just needs to get a wake up call)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Good job. My only suggestion would be to have your wife wear the Bjorn.
    2. The wife sometimes does take the baby too, but on longer walks and hikes, it's usually me because the baby is about 18.5 lbs now. I'm 6'7", 230lbs, she's 5'6", 130lbs, so it's easier for me to bear the load.

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Actually, i'm impressed that you could carry at 1:00 while carrying a Baby Björn and draw a FS pistol!
    3. As far as drawing from 1:00, I carry there every day and practice that draw often, single and two handed. Honestly, this time I don't even know if I did a single or two handed draw. When I do two hands, I use the left to lift the shirt and then draw. When I do single handed, the right lifts the shirt and then the arm holds the fabric against my body while my hand down to the gun for the draw stroke. Anyway, I think the gun was probably slid a little closer to 2:00 to allow more room for the baby, as when walking on that road, perfect concealment (butt of gun not printing) is not top priority.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Just to clarify - were you standing on Paved Public Road when the dog approached? .

Or were you on private property?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

On a public road. The road is paved where my house is, but then the pavement ends and it continues as a public way, north through the woods up to the next town, where it then rejoins onto another paved road. The part we were on has just the single house all by itself, just after getting out of the heavily wooded area. The part that goes through the woods is no longer maintained, so the only traffic on it now is pedestrian, 4x4s and wild animals, which makes for nice nature walks.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links