UT Austin Cancelled John Lott

This is a discussion on UT Austin Cancelled John Lott within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CSM article But that's okay, he will still speak, off campus... I beleive students on universtiy campuses, that otherwise meet the requirements of the law, ...

Thread: UT Austin Cancelled John Lott

CSM article

But that's okay, he will still speak, off campus...

I beleive students on universtiy campuses, that otherwise meet the requirements of the law, should be allowed to carry.

There are interesting links to other CSM stories at the end of the article as well...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

They need to get the fact straight in the article.

"In 2009, a campus-carry bill failed in the Texas legislature, meaning the otherwise gun-friendly state decided against joining Utah and Colorado among states that allow students to carry weapons at public universities.[/B] However, Tuesday's shooting is likely to play into the debate when it is reintroduced again next session, says Crocker. "

The statement that Texas decided not to allow CC in universities is incorrect. The bill had all the votes they needed to pass. It never came to a vote, because Democrats opposing the voter identification bill, hung up the legislature. That prevented votes on a number of bills, including the CC in universities. Had it come to a vote, it would have passed. It will be reintroduced next year and I predict it will pass. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, TX legislation only meets every other year, so we have to wait till 2011.

John Woods, a graduate student at UT, has spoken out against concealed-carry laws. As an undergraduate he survived the Virginia Tech shooting, in which his then-girlfriend died. "The idea that somebody could stop a school shooting with a gun is impossible," Woods told the Associated Press during debate over a proposed campus carry law in Texas last year.
    So I guess we shouldn't call 911, either, right? Because those pesky police always bring their guns to things like this. Maybe we could invite the shooter for some tea and ask him to stop?

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    John Woods, a graduate student at UT, has spoken out against concealed-carry laws. As an undergraduate he survived the Virginia Tech shooting, in which his then-girlfriend died. "The idea that somebody could stop a school shooting with a gun is impossible," Woods told the Associated Press during debate over a proposed campus carry law in Texas last year.
    DUH! The best way to deal with a crazy active shooter who is murdering any innocent person he can get to is to reason with them. Use words, not guns!!

Maybe they should issue flowers and rainbows in each room in case of an active shooter.

The thing that drives me crazy about this statement is that there have been many documented instances when this exact thing has been done. It is not "impossible". This guy needs to inform himself or shut up.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I think it is a very interesting "coincidence" that this shooting scare happened the very day of John Lott's lecture. Whether it serves to help pro gun rights causes we shall see.

Living here locally, I am glad no one was hurt other than him.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    To make a statement that something is "impossible" is to demonstrate sheer stupidity.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    To make a statement that something is "impossible" is to demonstrate sheer stupidity.
    I completely agree.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Yes... It is like saying that Thomas Edison could NEVER harness electricity and make light... Or Telling the Wright Brothers that Flying is "IMPOSSIBLE"..... and that mass production of motor vehicles is "ABSERD" Henry Ford could not do it... It makes me stick when stupid people like this make uneducated statements that makes me lose IQ points...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sponsored Links