Felt the need to disclose my CWP status to non LEO

This is a discussion on Felt the need to disclose my CWP status to non LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an appointment this morning for a new socket to be molded for my prosthetic leg in Charlotte, NC. Not carrying wasn't even an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt the need to disclose my CWP status to non LEO

Felt the need to disclose my CWP status to non LEO

I had an appointment this morning for a new socket to be molded for my prosthetic leg in Charlotte, NC. Not carrying wasn't even an option traveling through this gang infested city. Usually a assistant calls your name in the waiting room and takes me to a private room, closes the door while I remove my pants (to a pair of running shorts) and prosthetic leg. This usually give me time to disarm and hide my pistol under my removed pants.

This time the Dr. called me back closed the door and asked what the problem was with my leg. I told him the socket was split and I probably needed a new one cast. "OK go ahead and slip it off" he said. Instead of pulling out my pistol and possibly freaking him out as he could be an anti... I showed him my permit. He nonchalantly said "that's fine" as I removed my pistol setting it on the chair. The only other thing he asked was "is that a Sig?" Na it's a M&P, and that was all that was said about the firearm.

There was no way around him not seeing my weapon so I felt the need to let him know I wasn't some lunatic there to shoot up his office. It went very smooth IMO.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I suppose you could have asked for a little privacy. Maybe told the doc you were bashful or something.

"Hey, Doc, can you give me two minutes to change?"

But, I guess if all is good, no harm, no foul.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Very nice. I would have done the same thing in your situation. At least he was cool with it. I'm sure he gets more than a couple vets with licenses coming through his office.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sounds like an appropriate response by the doc.

Smooth move. : )

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Everytime I go to my endocrinologist I have a similar situation.

They are aware that I carry off duty and offer me a private room, off the lobby, to do what I need to do. That way nobody sees the weapons I carry daily. The first time I had to ask for privacy, but once I explained why they understood. It sounds to me like you handled the situation appropriately, and got the appropriate response back.

One thing I would advise, if you're going to remove the gun from it's usual carry location, is to use a holster that can go with the gun. That way you are not handling a weapon that could have the potential to give you an ND. The belt loops on ceratin holsters unsnap for a reason. The gun never has to be removed from it's holster.

Another advantage is that it provides another layer of security for your gun being picked up by an untrained but interested onlooker, be it the doctor, technician, or various other people. It's easier to stop them if they have to remove the gun from the holster rather than just picking up a loaded gun sitting on a chair.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    There was no way around him not seeing my weapon so I felt the need to let him know I wasn't some lunatic there to shoot up his office. It went very smooth IMO.
    If caught with my "pants down" in a similar situation, I'm pretty sure I would handle it just that way. Since he's obviously pro-armed-innocents, no harm / no foul. Of course, had he been an anti-gunner with a white coat, future dealings could have been stinky via his inability to get past the fact he's the one hobbled by disability instead of you. It's nice to see docs on the side of rational thought, particularly since they see the ramifications of crime and the destruction it causes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I grew up in CLT and left in '71 for the AF. I go back frequently to visit the daughter, and it amazes me how bad CLT is, roads included. I went to West Meck (just attended the 40th reunion), Lived in Moore's Park (no longer there) off Little Rock Road and Wilkenson Blvd, and the airport expansions ruined that side of town. It's a hotbed of crime, despite what the "holier-than-thou" city officials like to project.

I'm surprised the doc didn't say, "You show me your; I'll show you mine."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had to disclose the other day... my ex-fiance's little brother is in my Jujutsu class and he had some questions for me. We were in his living room with some other friends and no one in the room knows I carry and he wanted to grip me around the waist as if to do a hip throw. I told him I didn't feel like it and he was like "come on, don't be scared" (as if). later a pulled him aside and explained to him the reason I did not want to do it and in the future if I say no he will know why. I didn't want to reveal my carry in front of a bunch of people (mostly women) who have no idea I carry.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Some states require medical personell to report gunshot wounds to police. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any requirements to report a gun that was discovered during an exam. I would think, that even if the gun was illegally concealed, the fact is was discovered during examination, would mean that it would be protected by Doctor-Patient privelege. In other words, even if he was an ANTI, legally probably could not disclose it to anyone, assuming you let the Doc know you were armed prior to dropping trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I would think, that even if the gun was illegally concealed, the fact is was discovered during examination, would mean that it would be protected by Doctor-Patient privelege. In other words, even if he was an ANTI, legally probably could not disclose it to anyone, assuming you let the Doc know you were armed prior to dropping trow.
    As far as I know illegal acts are not protected by Doctor-Patient Confidentiality. That said, many docs do hear of illegal activity (smoking pot or crack) that is certainly not reported.

GM
    I should had done the same.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Yeah, you're probably right on that one shooter380, now that I think about it. I wonder if there are many Docs that carry, hospitals in bad areas of town, high income, targets or druggies, etc.? Bet there are a few.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    One thing I would advise, if you're going to remove the gun from it's usual carry location, is to use a holster that can go with the gun. That way you are not handling a weapon that could have the potential to give you an ND. The belt loops on ceratin holsters unsnap for a reason. The gun never has to be removed from it's holster

Biker
    Good advice on keeping the pistol with the holster Biker. The only holster I have for the M&Pc right now is a supertuck. I can unhook the clips from a seated position and remove both the holster and firearm at the same time. But I'll have to remove the pistol from the ST when attaching the holster clips back on my belt to eliminate the awkwardness of keeping the pistol secure . That at least minimizes some of that ND risk.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I grew up in CLT and left in '71 for the AF. I go back frequently to visit the daughter, and it amazes me how bad CLT is, roads included. I went to West Meck (just attended the 40th reunion), Lived in Moore's Park (no longer there) off Little Rock Road and Wilkenson Blvd, and the airport expansions ruined that side of town. It's a hotbed of crime, despite what the "holier-than-thou" city officials like to project
    Your spot on OldVet...

Were old enough to remember Charlotte as a nice sleepy southern town. Now it's big city with major league sport teams, 5 star hotels, restaurants etc. Along with that comes the crime and for years CMPD had there heads buried in the sand saying "we don't have a gang problem here in Charlotte" when we as citizens knew just the opposite. I'm a Myers Park "Mustang" grad... hey how about Suttles swim club on Wilkerson! Cavilerias skating rink on Moorehead and the pool hall downstairs!

Good Times!

One of my Doctors is actually a shooting buddy,If I walked in for an exam and he didn't see a gun he would be asking where it was
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links