Feedback Poll: How much Ammo do you pack when CCW?

This is a discussion on Feedback Poll: How much Ammo do you pack when CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry S&W 642 as primary with 12 in speedstrips on my belt in a "digital film" carry. Figure tactical reload, if it gets to ...

View Poll Results: How much Ammo Do you Carry ?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Mag Single Stack

20 15.75%
  • 1 Mag Double Stack

29 22.83%
  • 2 Mag's Single Stack

32 25.20%
  • 2 Mag's Double Stack

31 24.41%
  • 1 Speedloader/Strip

4 3.15%
  • 2 Speedloader's/Strip's

2 1.57%
  • Other

7 5.51%
  • Bug instead of Spare Mag's Or Speedloader's

2 1.57%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Poll: How much Ammo do you pack when CCW?

I carry S&W 642 as primary with 12 in speedstrips on my belt in a "digital film" carry. Figure tactical reload, if it gets to that.

BUG is Kel-Tec P32 with 10+1 (got the extended magazine) with 2 standard mags in the another"digital film" carry on my belt.

(belt carry pack is about $5 at Walgreens, $8 at Target. Discussed it in another thread at http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11067 )
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Colt CC IWB holds 9 in a proven mag. Two 8's @ 8 with light, knife and P3-AT in weak back pocket with 7 rds balance the primary. Proven mags are ocasionally field tested, but most of the cases go through range mags in the range gun. What is carried should be well broken in but in near perfect condition. I don't mind replacing springs, followers, or extractors, but it's not as easy when I'm on the run:)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

52 rounds of DT 10mm. Full magazine, one in the chamber, two spare mags, plus another mag in the truck.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I always carry at least 1 extra mag. The magazine is the weakest part of the weapon, if something goes wrong its usually the reason. I want to make sure I can switch mags if need be.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Most of this is a reply to another post, but it applies here as well.

I personally carry two mags whenever I can, one in the gun and a back-up. Most reports show that aside from shootouts involving LEO's, in nearly all instances where a firearm is used in self defense, only a small number of rounds are ever fired; usually three or less. However, if I have the opportunity and the capacity to carry more ammo, I'd do so.

My first choices in carry guns, either a Bersa Ultra Compact 9 & 45, hold 13 rds and 8 rds respectively. Whether your mags hold seven rounds or seventeen, one spare mag is good to have in case it's needed for ANYTHING... a jam, dropped mag or extra shots, whatever you may need a spare magazine for. Would I carry more than two full magazines, I doubt it. Will you need thirty rounds, I also doubt it. If you do, you probably need back-up or a quick exit strategy more than a few extra shots!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

My primary carry is in my sig line below. I only carry the 12+1 in the weapon. If I can't get it done with 13 shot's, then I must forfeit the game and let someone else do it!!
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Depends on the weather, and how I'm dressed. If it's hot, and I have to carry my Glock 26 in my front pocket (Nemesis holster), then I have a 12 rnd mag in the gun, with 1 in the chamber, and a second 12 rnd mag in a belt holster, which looks like a knife or Leatherman holster. If I can wear a cover garment, then I carry my XD 45, 13+1on my hip, with 2 13 rnd mags in the belt pouch. The same if I use the fanny pack.

97octane

I don't carry all three. I carry either the 229 or the 1911 plus the SP101. I used to be a big Sig lover and in 2001 went with my first 1911, a Les Baer SuperTac with the 1 1/2 inch factory set up. Recently, I started carrying a Sig again. This in no way reflects anything negative about the Baer since both of mine have been flawless for over 30,000 rounds. I just felt like going back to Sig. I have thought about weight several times and one of these days I'll weigh both with mags and ammo.

VIP Member
    One or two magazines, depending on availability, if a semi-automatic; two speedloaders if a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider
    Gun topped off carried IWB strong side with two extra mags weak side with my primary gun. Backup is 5 shot snubbie loaded (Usually in Ankle Holster) and one speed strip with 6 rounds carried in a pocket.
    Pretty much exactly what and how I carry. I don't always carry the BUG though. I do have at least on Benchmade on me at all times though, sometimes two.
    Jack

i added a Simple Poll doesn't ask # of rounds to many combo of mag Capacity to list them all ...

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I keep 1 in the pistol and another on my person. Why the extra? Who knows when a problem can occur with a mag or when the zombies will strike in force.

VIP Member
    Thar would be the night of the dead living, OG.

In debriefing, an officer was asked why he fired 26 rounds at the perp.

"Sir, that's all I had."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Went with 2 mags doublestack. 1 is in the Px4, other on my belt. Gives me 35 rounds of 9mm. since I carry 18 in the pistol and another magazine of 17.

One mag. 13 rounds for G23. on belt
    Kel-Tec p3at for back up,front left pocket.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links