Unintentional CCW at a hospital as a patient in an emergency situation? - Page 2

Unintentional CCW at a hospital as a patient in an emergency situation?

This is a discussion on Unintentional CCW at a hospital as a patient in an emergency situation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I worked for Community Hospital (CHP) in Lorain when Concealed Carry finally (FINALLY!) became a reality. A policy memo was sent out on this very ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Unintentional CCW at a hospital as a patient in an emergency situation?

I worked for Community Hospital (CHP) in Lorain when Concealed Carry finally (FINALLY!) became a reality.
    A policy memo was sent out on this very subject.
    As stated above, the sidearm would be secured by hospital security and returned upon discharge.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

It happened with a friend of mine (heart attack, driven to the ER by another friend). He had a valid Texas CHL. Hospital security handled as above. No worries.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Just happened to me in August. Went to the Sturgis motorcycle rally and got sick. Had to call the ambulance to take me to Rapid City Hospital. In the ambulance they were trying to hook me up for EKG and felt the gun. When asked, I told them what it was. "Oh, that's gonna have to be secured." I asked about my extra ammo...."That too". How about my knife? "Yep".
    All of it was turned over to the security guard.
    Upon discharge, all was returned (Except for my Sure-fire flashlight....someone got a Christmas present early!)
    ABSOLUTELY NO HASSLES! I asked the guard if I could reload outside the Hospital door and he was fine with that.
    Oh, and my Concealed permit was missing. I'm assuming "they" went looking through my wallet to see if I was legal and misplaced it. When I got home it cost $10 to replace it.
    Last edited by Zsnake; October 3rd, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Wow. I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with hospital security handling my gun.
    I think that if that happens you will have more serious things to worry about.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've worked hospital security. The paramedics knew how to unload and secure it until they got to the hospital and then we got it. 2 witnesses, patient envelope in the safe, receipt in the chart. Doesn't happen often since I work on the border of a fraidy-gun state nex to a couple good ones.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

This just happened to me 4 weeks ago. The medics took the gun and actually handed it over to some friends that were with me on site. This was on the accident site before I ever got to the hospital.

My wife collapsed at work (ongoing heart condition) one day and was transported to the ER via Paramedics.
    Once in the ER, the nurse moved my wife's purse and noted the heft of it. My wife informed them she was permitted and that she had a gun in the purse.
    Security was called and they came and secured the gun in their safe.
    Fortunately, she was able to leave later that same day and when I picked her up we went by security on the way out and retrieved the gun, wrapped in a plastic shopping bag.
    No hassles. No problems.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

I wonder if the springs in my weapon would go bad if I were in a comma for an extended period of time?? Sorry...couldnt resist. Didnt mean to make light of a serious question...carry on.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Had this happen - almost

I had a very similar situation happen to me several years ago after a car accident. I was carrying without a CCW (Colorado is an open carry state), and was in an accident with my family. I was awake and aware, and somehow had the presence of mind to let the officer on scene know that I was armed. He asked me to unload the revolver (not sure why he let me do that in my condition! ) and I turned the handgun over to the highway patrol. They transferred it to the hospital security, and it was returned to me upon my discharge. No questions, no problems.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cplguy View Post
    Thanks for your answers. Since getting my CPL, I've actually been wondering about this situation.
    Believe me, you will not care one iota about this issue if such a scenario as you describe actually happens to you, and you suffer a stroke, heart attack, or get run over by an auto.

P.S. -- If you think that the ambulance bill will be expensive, just wait until the hospital bill arrives!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I wonder if the springs in my weapon would go bad if I were in a comma for an extended period of time?? Sorry...couldnt resist. Didnt mean to make light of a serious question...carry on.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    This happened to me once and as they rolled me into surgery, I saw my Glock on a gurney with a Hoppes oil I.V. and three nurses trying to calm it down!
    If that had been a Sig it would have never made the trip to the hospital. It would have walked away without a scratch. j/k that is pretty funny.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

I can't speak for everywhere but in my small locallity the ambulance personnel will secure the weapon and turn it over to hospital security who will issue a receipt and lock the weapon in the hospital safe where it can later be claimed by the patient or a documented family member if the patient is unable to claim it.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

This happens at least once a month at the Little Rock VA hospital and the VA police simply secure the weapon until it can be returned to the patient or a family member.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

If I have to make a trip to my local ER, I have whoever I'm with disarm me (hubby's had to do that a couple of times). Where I work, they're under instructions that if someone has to call an ambulance for me, they are to remove and secure my weapon. If I'm just out-and-about and need emergency medical attention, hopefully someone will take good care of it while I'm incapacitated (knowing some of our Fire Department folks, they'll probably take it to the range for me )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links