Defensive Carry banner

Unintentional CCW at a hospital as a patient in an emergency situation?

7K views 44 replies 42 participants last post by  Miamieddie 
#1 ·
What would happen if a valid CPL holder that is armed had something bad happen to him out of his control, (such as a seizure/stroke/cardiac arrest/ran over by a car, etc), and the valid CPL holder was armed, but unconscious, (or in a coma), due to medical conditions. What is the reaction of the medical staff that are treating you?

Let's say they were walking down the street like normal, or over at a friend's house, then they had a grand mall seizure, and the ambulance ends up getting called; which ends up in a very expensive trip to the hospital. The patient has had no medical history of seizures in his entire medical record since birth.

What happens with the weapon, and what reaction would there be? What happens when they realize that you are legally authorized to carry the weapon? Do you get it back?

#2 ·
Please don't worry about this, at this point you have other problems more pressing.

One of a few things will happen. Most likely, the paramedics that respond will find it on their assessment and turn it over to police and you can claim it later usually hassle free. Another possibility is that if it's a scoop and run and they find it on the way to the hospital, they hold it for hospital security and they secure it either for police or for you when you leave. One last possibility, no one finds it until you get to the ER and they find it, then it's back to hospital security or police. This is not an uncommon occurrence and most rescue/emt workers have a procedure as do the hospitals.

You will get your gun back as long as it's not stolen and you are legal to carry.

Reactions: Harvester
#4 ·
I asked this question to a couple of local LEOs recently, their response is the weapon would be secured by hospital security and returned upon discharge or if transferred to another facility then the weapon would be returned to a designated party.

#6 ·
Thanks for your answers. Since getting my CPL, I've actually been wondering about this situation. (what if I cross a street and because I was stupidly inattentive not watching where I was going and end up getting creamed by a truck), would I get my side arm back upon release from the hospital, (if I lived through it)?

#25 ·
Thanks for your answers. Since getting my CPL, I've actually been wondering about this situation.
Believe me, you will not care one iota about this issue if such a scenario as you describe actually happens to you, and you suffer a stroke, heart attack, or get run over by an auto.

P.S. -- If you think that the ambulance bill will be expensive, just wait until the hospital bill arrives!

#11 ·
That's easy. Hospital security holds it for you, as we do for all other patients that come into the ER that are unable to secure their valubles. It is understood that an accident is just that, an accident. If you happen to be carrying a weapon upon your admission, and you have a valid CPL (or CCW) the weapon in secured in a safe. Upon your discharge the unloaded weapon is returned to you. If you happen to not have a valid CPL, the weapon is simply turned other to the local police. So simply, don't worry.

#12 ·
Please don't worry about this, at this point you have other problems more pressing.
It's not a worry. It's merely the question asked. It doesn't imply folks are failing to be more concerned about the more important problems; it just means this was the question. :wink:

What is the reaction of the medical staff that are treating you?
They'll disarm me. It's not as though it's much different than having anything else in the pocket or on the body. I'll be out of it (per the described scenario), so I won't much care. And since I'm not a criminal, the ramifications are highly unlikely to be ugly. They'll put the gear in a bag along with everything else. At some point later, I'll get everything back, no matter whether there's some extra paperwork or checking for some of the items. Simple enough, it seems to me.

#13 ·
The hospital ER will put it in a patient belongings envelope and seal it with a description of the item and the patient identifying information and lock it in a safe. It would be returned to you when you leave the facility. It happens every day, no big deal.

#14 ·
I have made a living out of running hospital Emergency Departments. This happens on a regular occasion. We secure the weapon in the ED and call hospital security. They along with the nurse in the ED will both place the weapon in a sealed envelope and both sign for what went in. The envelope goes to hospital security where it is locked in a safe. A tag with a matching number as the envelope goes on your chart so that everyone knows you have belongings (but not specifically what) that are locked in the safe. It is not a big deal to us at all. I think you will find that most of that have made a living out of ED work have our CWP.

#15 ·
A couple years ago I was taken by the medics to the hospital. Hospital Security took my weapon and locked it up. A few days later, the nurse discharging me took me via wheel chair to the pharmacy for my meds and Security to pick up my weapon... nicely sealed in three plastic bags that I was asked not to open until I was off hospital property. One bag had my weapon, one my magazines and the third my ammo. Remember, you're one of the good guys, don't sweat it. :biggrin2:

#16 ·
I worked for Community Hospital (CHP) in Lorain when Concealed Carry finally (FINALLY!) became a reality.
A policy memo was sent out on this very subject.
As stated above, the sidearm would be secured by hospital security and returned upon discharge.

#17 ·
It happened with a friend of mine (heart attack, driven to the ER by another friend). He had a valid Texas CHL. Hospital security handled as above. No worries.

#18 · (Edited)
Just happened to me in August. Went to the Sturgis motorcycle rally and got sick. Had to call the ambulance to take me to Rapid City Hospital. In the ambulance they were trying to hook me up for EKG and felt the gun. When asked, I told them what it was. "Oh, that's gonna have to be secured." I asked about my extra ammo...."That too". How about my knife? "Yep".
All of it was turned over to the security guard.
Upon discharge, all was returned (Except for my Sure-fire flashlight....someone got a Christmas present early!)
ABSOLUTELY NO HASSLES! I asked the guard if I could reload outside the Hospital door and he was fine with that.
Oh, and my Concealed permit was missing. I'm assuming "they" went looking through my wallet to see if I was legal and misplaced it. When I got home it cost $10 to replace it.

#20 ·
I've worked hospital security. The paramedics knew how to unload and secure it until they got to the hospital and then we got it. 2 witnesses, patient envelope in the safe, receipt in the chart. Doesn't happen often since I work on the border of a fraidy-gun state nex to a couple good ones.

#22 ·
My wife collapsed at work (ongoing heart condition) one day and was transported to the ER via Paramedics.
Once in the ER, the nurse moved my wife's purse and noted the heft of it. My wife informed them she was permitted and that she had a gun in the purse.
Security was called and they came and secured the gun in their safe.
Fortunately, she was able to leave later that same day and when I picked her up we went by security on the way out and retrieved the gun, wrapped in a plastic shopping bag.
No hassles. No problems.

#23 ·
I wonder if the springs in my weapon would go bad if I were in a comma for an extended period of time?? Sorry...couldnt resist. Didnt mean to make light of a serious question...carry on.

#24 ·
Had this happen - almost

I had a very similar situation happen to me several years ago after a car accident. I was carrying without a CCW (Colorado is an open carry state), and was in an accident with my family. I was awake and aware, and somehow had the presence of mind to let the officer on scene know that I was armed. He asked me to unload the revolver (not sure why he let me do that in my condition! :aargh4: ) and I turned the handgun over to the highway patrol. They transferred it to the hospital security, and it was returned to me upon my discharge. No questions, no problems.

#28 ·
I can't speak for everywhere but in my small locallity the ambulance personnel will secure the weapon and turn it over to hospital security who will issue a receipt and lock the weapon in the hospital safe where it can later be claimed by the patient or a documented family member if the patient is unable to claim it.

#29 ·
This happens at least once a month at the Little Rock VA hospital and the VA police simply secure the weapon until it can be returned to the patient or a family member.

#30 ·
If I have to make a trip to my local ER, I have whoever I'm with disarm me (hubby's had to do that a couple of times). Where I work, they're under instructions that if someone has to call an ambulance for me, they are to remove and secure my weapon. If I'm just out-and-about and need emergency medical attention, hopefully someone will take good care of it while I'm incapacitated (knowing some of our Fire Department folks, they'll probably take it to the range for me :lol: )

#31 ·
At the Hospital I work at in the security department we are not allowed to secure weapons for patients. As of present we have to call the local PD to secure the weapon. We use to be able to secure them, but we have new management. In most hospitals it not an issue

#32 ·
Well I can only speak for me.

As of Monday this week I was actually admitted to a local ER in Reno, I very suddenly and for the first time ever had a seizure. I was out running errands and had a Grand Mal seizure. Thank "insert your prefered faith here" that my foot pinned the break down and not the gas. A police officer happened to be driving by and was alerted to my distress and pulled over to check on my situation. The local EMS was dispatched to come and collect me. Apparently during this as my motor functions began to return my combat training took control of the situation and I began to attempt to reach for my Glock. The officer aware of my confusion but very alert to my actions almost instantly jumped in my rear seat and removed my weapon. (Side note I am very very gratefull of the officers quick and decisive action, it undoubtly kept all parties involved safe and secure.) The officer recovered my wallet and found my CCW. The weapon was retained by the officer who followed the EMS to the hospital. As soon as it was discovered that this was a first time non drug or alcohol related occurrence my weapon was held by the hospital staff (who are themselfs armed) and released to my Wife to whos care I was released. At this point im much more worried about the outcome of my follow on testing, well that and the bill ill be getting shortly. So I don't care to guess for all city's or state's but it seems that between the local Pd's EMS crews and ER techs there is most likely an SOP concerning lawfully carried sidearms.

#43 ·
As of Monday this week I was actually admitted to a local ER in Reno, I very suddenly and for the first time ever had a seizure.
I'm glad you're ok and thank you for sharing a real-life experience. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the great community we have.

#33 ·
This thread, I believe, has now been answered. My only question, now that I have read this thread for first time is what kind of answer did cplguy expect? It surely could not be some "out of this world" answer other than the obvious. Just seems you can find better things to be worrying about than the common sense that would dictate the several obvious responses to this question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.