Got a call for pistol license interview today

This is a discussion on Got a call for pistol license interview today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And I thought we had it bad in The People's Republik of Kalifornia....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Got a call for pistol license interview today

And I thought we had it bad in The People's Republik of Kalifornia.

2. Remove Ads

wow...imagine if newspaper reporters needed a permit/interview for each article they wrote!...

I feel sorry for you guys in NY...an interview to exercise your rights.

Mike in VA

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Good luck....
    Here in TN, most times the range is someone's land and the only range permit you need is their "ok"....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

New York......easy peasy, try next door in New Jersey!

Here to purchase a hand gun requires a number of "roll over, play dead, wait" actions.

First you have to be granted a Firearms Purchase Identification Card after which, assuming all goes well you can now purchase rifles and/or shotguns. Lots and lots of paper work, at least two references who have know you for at least 3-4 years, permission to root around in you medical history and it also gets sent to your place of work for them to sign off on it. HR was somewhat interested in that one !!!
    Once you have this then you need a Permit to Purchase a handgun

To purchase a handheld you need to apply for a permit to purchase which is good for one pistol, you can apply for more than one at a time although I have it from a very reliable source that more than 2 in an initial request is looked on as possibly suspicious.

This whole process takes over 3 months and once approved, FBI check etc has taken place goes back to your local Chief of Police to sign off.......where it can wait some more.

As for Concealed Carry, more likely to get a find an honest politician than get one of those.....8-)

This I might add is the state where the politicians in Jersey City just passed a local ordinance forbidding any resident of new Jersey from purchasing more than one handgun a month from the single licenced firearms dealer in Jersey City. This was after it was demonstrated and accepted that there has never been any record of a legally purchased firearm from this shop ever being used in an illegal act....

I particularily liked the comment from the City Council President saying "this is feel-good legislation that will probably not reduce crime, but we have to start somewhere, so I am voting yes"
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Dear friends

Thank very much for all. I like Got a call for pistol license interview today very much.

Very useful for me.

Rgs

wait just a minute!!!!!!

A pistol permit "INTERVIEW"?????????

are you KIDDING ME???? this is an interview just to be able to BUY a handgun????

what country are you in?? (oh wait, i just saw your location NEW YORK)

i never knew there were places you had to go interview to buy a handgun........

I mean what the hell do they ask you during your "interview"??? and you can only have it at the range???

and New Jersey you have to provide "REFERENCES".....OMG, i cant stand any more.......

thank God and Heaven I live in a Great Free State like Kentucky.....

what a joke, "interview".....pfffffffft.....

I truly feel for you guys in those communist, backwards-ass states....Please move down here to Kentucky where you walk into a gun shop, say "I want that one", fill out the 4470, two minute instant backround check and out the door you go with your new gun......and if you have a CCW permit they don't even do the instant backround check.......

Quote Originally Posted by distortion9 View Post
    ...P.S. Still can't decide between USPC 9mm, Sig 229 or 92F....no idea.
    I don't have a P229 (I have two other Sigs and they're both great weapons), but I have a USP Compact 9mm and a 92F - two VERY different weapons. Personally, the only reason I still have the 92F is because I don't like to get rid of any weapon It was my first handgun and I bought it way back in the early-80s before I had any intention of concealed carrying. It's a large weapon and has a large grip - unless you've got good sized hands, it may feel too big for you. The SA trigger pull is heavy compared to most modern handguns (at least it is on mine). But because of it's size, it's got a very mild recoil, and it's also got a longer sight radius than the USPC so it has the capability of being more accurate. The USP on the other hand is a polymer frame, which makes it much lighter. I carried it every day for over 5 years and really like the USP - it is a joy to shoot.

All of those are reliable weapons and would be good choices - it will just depend on what you want to do with it, and since it seems to be difficult to buy a handgun in NYS, put some thought into future use too. There are many other options that you might want to consider also - Glock 17/19 (since you seem to be leaning 9mm), S&W M&P, Springfield XD/XDM are just a few. As others have said, the best thing you can do is find a range where you can rent them and try as many as possible.

Good luck!

The wait is indeed crazy. I know it can't "physically" take that long to process the paper work. IMHO I think they use that time as a "probationary" period, hoping you mess up somehow so they can deny.

I don't follow....did I post this in the wrong forum?
    I wonder how long the bad guys wait to buy their guns in NY? Is there a waiting period for street thugs too? I swear, why anyone wants to live in places like NY, IL, or other anti-gun states is beyond me. OP, good luck!

I wonder why people are bringing up 5 year old threads.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

OMG! I am so sorry for you. In AK no CC permit required, no permit to purchase, if you want a permit to CC Troopers "shall issue" within 30 days if you can legally own. The advantage to getting a permit is that it is accepted by 36 States. With all due respect you guys have a lot of work to do in the ballot box, good luck. By the way, we accept your CC permit, but then again we don't care if you have one or not. As long as you are legal to own a hand gun you can CC, (21 years old and no felonies).

Too bad you have to go through all of that. In Virginia, you can open carry with no license or application and you can carry in your car glove box with no permit as well. For CC permit, just took a class and completed the application. No problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by hdblue View Post
    Dear friends

Thank very much for all. I like Got a call for pistol license interview today very much.

Very useful for me.

Rgs
    If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: purchasing clerk interview questions

WOW,it takes me all of about 5 minutes to buy a gun in Texas,and you can carry concealed in your vehicle without a permit.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Took 2 days and $10 for my CCW.........usually it takes up to 30 days or more but I have a DOD "secret" clearance and just had my HAZMAT clearance done so it didn't long for me at all.........a pistol interview???? really???

Exactly six weeks to the day from when I submitted my application. Interview will be in two weeks at which point I'll be two months into the licensing process, leaving four (at most) months left.

I swear, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".
    God I love AZ. Buy handgun and take home same day, carry on your person, in vehicle, etc (open OR concealed)...no permit needed...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links