Got a call for pistol license interview today

This is a discussion on Got a call for pistol license interview today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Exactly six weeks to the day from when I submitted my application. Interview will be in two weeks at which point I'll be two months ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Got a call for pistol license interview today

Got a call for pistol license interview today

Exactly six weeks to the day from when I submitted my application. Interview will be in two weeks at which point I'll be two months into the licensing process, leaving four (at most) months left.

I swear, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am glad for your progress, relative to your location but oh boy - do you have to jump thru some hoops or what!

Step over the state line into PA and - what a different world.

No way I can see to make you wait over such an extended time frame - it is blatently unconstitutional IMO. I wish you loads of luck in achieving a speedy resolution anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congratz...sounds like NY is even worse than Arkansas about taking its sweet time. AR state police have 120 days to deny your app if they're going to. That includes 30 days to give the Sheriff or Chief of Police the opportunity to object. Most Sheriffs and Chiefs just imply consent by not responding within the 30 days so unless you get lucky, you're looking at a minimum of 30 to get your CCW.
    --dwpa

==============================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    Mitch Ratcliffe

Assistant Administrator
    This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".
    Take note - this is NOT for a CCW!
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Good luck!

I hope your interview goes well and the rest of the application get approved.

srfl <------- has his fingers crossed for you.

....however if you are in the City, you still have a decent chance of getting it approved as I knew a few "regular joes" that got their target permits....else where in the state...not sure; can't be any worse than getting anything firearms-related in NYC.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The wait is indeed crazy. I know it can't "physically" take that long to process the paper work. IMHO I think they use that time as a "probationary" period, hoping you mess up somehow so they can deny.

Take note - this is NOT for a CCW!
    I don't follow....did I post this in the wrong forum?

Assistant Administrator
    No sweat - just pointing out to folks that this application process and interview and delay - was all for the hunting/range licence - not even for a CCW - making the point again that your hoops and hurdles are extreme!

I feel for you having such a long process.

Not sure if this forum is ideal as not strictly a CCW issue but we'll let it rest here awhile.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    No sweat - just pointing out to folks that this application process and interview and delay - was all for the hunting/range licence - not even for a CCW - making the point again that your hoops and hurdles are extreme!

I feel for you having such a long process.

Not sure if this forum is ideal as not strictly a CCW issue but we'll let it rest here awhile.

Gotcha....and thanks to all for the wishes of luck. Please feel free to move this where it fits best.

Assistant Administrator
    On reflection I don't think any other sub forum is really any better suited so we'll stay put
    Chris - P95

What County?

NYS licensing is all over the place as you probably know...you may be able to get the restrictions removed after awhile and get a full carry. Please consider joining the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association and NRA if you aren't already a member...we need to change things in NYS!

I'm in Albany Co and had to go through police training before I got my restrictions removed. Saratoga Co will not even let their police officers carry off-duty. We need all the help we can get in changing the laws in NYS. Please help!

In NYS it can be a crap shoot, but there are a number of counties that operate on a shall issue basis. I grew up in one such county,and I applied for my ccw recently. I dropped off my app to the sheriff on April 19. I received notice of approval from the judge last week, and notice from the clerk's office that they are awaiting the numbers on my first purchase for issue, today. About 10 weeks, if i can add correctly. This is very good news, because I wil soon be moving to Ithaca, which as I understand is worse than Capital Region counties.

A question for anyone knowledgable on NY procedures. The judge approves each handgun that is licensed to the owner. Has anyone heard of handgun's being rejected by an eligible licensee? If so, I may want to purchase my carry gun before moving, and being subjected to another judge's consideration. Any comment is much appreciated.

**UPDATE**

Just got home from my interview and all seems to be going well...and FAST too.

Interview consisted of digital photo and digital fingerprint scan, along with a few questions and signatures. Very basic stuff and took about a half hour. Officer was very polite and friendly (small talk, joking around, etc).

The only downside is that I was given 2 MORE forms that need to be filled out and notorized by 2 of my 4 character references. Not a big deal but, I don't like to impose. I also don't like to let the forms get out of my hands (may get lost, forgotten about, put off for a later time, etc). I'll have bribe them over here with some cold ones and BBQ...el oh el.

Anywho....

The GOOD news is that it looks like I should have my permit sometime in August. That would make the wait 3 months instead of 6which is super cool with me. I was told that all the April applicants were just finished up and they are now on May apps (which is me).

MIND YOU, as P95Carry said earlier, this is NOT for a CCW. This is for a "Target/Sportsman" license.

I figure I'll post all updates in this thread for those that are interested and for anyone that may have questions about the Suffolk County pistol license process.

d9 - out

P.S. Still can't decide between USPC 9mm, Sig 229 or 92F....no idea.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - glad some useful progress - even if riddled with obstacles!!!
    Still can't decide between USPC 9mm, Sig 229 or 92F....no idea
    You will have to somehow try all three - then you will probably know!!! I'd go SIG - but I am a SIGo'phile
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Glad I dont live in NY..all those hoops, and tricks to do something I could go do right now...buy a handgun.

Blatant disrespect for the 2nd Amendment in NY.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    Glad I dont live in NY..all those hoops, and tricks to do something I could go do right now...buy a handgun.

Blatant disrespect for the 2nd Amendment in NY.
    I hear ya...

The fact that I'm actually excited about a 3 month wait and progressing through all these obstacles, speaks volumes about how bad it actually is.

I can't even imagine what it would be like living in a pro 2A State....I really can't. Honest to God, I feel like I live in a different country, no American should have to feel this way.

Something seems REALLY wrong when an American citizen is forced to perform a "song and dance" for a right that he is legally entitled to.

IMHO it is illegal what anti 2A States are getting away with and I am shocked as to how nothing is done about it...not "eventually"....not "someday" but, IMMEDIATELY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links