Nightstand gun legal in WA st?

This is a discussion on Nightstand gun legal in WA st? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear about (and know people) keeping guns in their nightstands. That is my (only) gun's home when I am home. When I go out, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nightstand gun legal in WA st?

Nightstand gun legal in WA st?

I hear about (and know people) keeping guns in their nightstands. That is my (only) gun's home when I am home. When I go out, I lock it in my gun safe.

I have no kids, live in a rural area. In WA st.

I am always moving my gun from purse, to nightstand, to safe. It's my hope that a smaller carry gun will soon be on my horizon, but even then.....

With some states having laws that require guns be locked up when you're not home....do people lock their gun up every am when they go to work (if they cant carry at work) or out and then unlock it as soon as they come home?

It is a habit I have formed, but I really would prefer to leave it in the nightstand all the time. (And yeah, I dont remember where my state stands on this...I got the safe with general safety in mind but with not being able to carry at work, I feel like my poor gun is on a yo-yo every day!)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Have you checked out your state's gun laws??

When going to work, I would secure my gun in a COM safe in the vehicle....

If you're going to leave a gun in your nightstand full-time, I would be concerned with thieves getting it...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Here in AZ there are no laws about securing a handgun at home. My children are grown and gone. I have enough handguns in the safe that I'm willing to sacrifice a Glock 32 with a Surefire light. It stays on my headboard 24/7.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Washington state does not have any law that requires you to secure, unload, disassemble, or trigger lock your gun in your own home. In fact, if you like, you can keep it loaded, cocked, and sitting on top of your TV whether you're home or not.

It's a good idea to hide the gun where a thief won't find it should he break in while you're gone. But again, there's no legal requirement to do so. You CAN leave the gun in your vehicle if 1)the vehicle is locked, AND 2)the gun is hidden from view. In this case, of course, you'll need to consider that a thief might break into your car. As SIGguy mentioned, you can get a safe for your car.

Keep in mind also that you CANNOT carry in a vehicle UNLESS you have a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Yes, you can have the gun in your car, but you can't have it on you unless you have that CPL.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Thanks Jumpwing.

So, do most people just leave a gun in their nightstand? Or is it a 'take it out every nite, lock it up in the am' kind of a thing? I realize people with kids need to take that into consideration, but that's not an issue for me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

agreed with Jumpwing. there is no Washington law about this. it is a good idea to keep it locked up when you are not there but you are not required to.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

My carry gun is my nightstand gun. When I undress, the gun goes on my nightstand. When I dress, it goes on my belt. I leave NO firearm unsecured when I am not around.
    Any unused firearms are locked in the safe.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I guess I am different. I have a gun on me almost all the time. I also have various guns placed around the house. All of which are loaded.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    My carry gun is my nightstand gun. When I undress, the gun goes on my nightstand. When I dress, it goes on my belt. I leave NO firearm unsecured when I am not around.
    Any unused firearms are locked in the safe.
    I use a Gun Vault in a nightstand, but usually leave the gun in drawer when I'm home or on my belt.
    The Gun Vault is very quickly accessible, within a couple of seconds...

http://www.gunvault.com/

My carry gun is either on me or locked in the car during the day. At night it's holstered on my side of the bed.

When going to work the gun goes in the lock box under my seat... when not home and gun is at home its in a safe
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Mine is one me til bed or less than arms legth away. My wife and I have no kids and she has her permit and can run any gun in my arsenal. I then remove said carry gun add a Surefire mount and it goes on the night stand. Revesre and start over in the morning.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a digital safe in the nightstand. Gun goes in there at night. Takes about 2 seconds to get it back out. Ive worked at that.

No kids here just me and my wife. SP101 on the dresser in the bedroom, carry gun next to the bed, .38 snub next to the couch on the floor under a small table, range bag on the floor other side of the couch with a .40 XD subcompact, rest of my collection in a safe. Always within arms reach...

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Thanks Jumpwing.

So, do most people just leave a gun in their nightstand? Or is it a 'take it out every nite, lock it up in the am' kind of a thing? I realize people with kids need to take that into consideration, but that's not an issue for me.
    I put it on top of my dresser at night (I don't have a night stand and the dresser top is within arms reach). In the morning, holstering the weapon is part of "getting dressed". However, I am allowed to carry at work (I work from home, haha) so I carry all day. If I had to leave the gun at home, I would either lock it in a safe or--because there are no children in my house--conceal it somewhere that's easy to reach as soon as I walk in the door. Walking in on a burglary of your own home is bad enough; but being confronted by a burglar who's holding your own gun really rubs salt in the wound.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links