ND and GA Now Honor MO Permit

This is a discussion on ND and GA Now Honor MO Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; North Dakota and Georgia AG's have announded they will now honor a Missouri Permit to Carry. This info has been added to Handgunlaw.us Data Base. ...

Thread: ND and GA Now Honor MO Permit

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

North Dakota and Georgia AG's have announded they will now honor a Missouri Permit to Carry. This info has been added to Handgunlaw.us Data Base.

I see I missed a "w" in the heading. It should be "Now" and not "no". Sorry about the error. I can not edit the tilte can an Administrator fix it? Thanks.
    Last edited by Gary Slider; July 1st, 2006 at 03:02 PM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member
    Thanks Gary. Your effort is greatly appreciated. Great site.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Assistant Administrator
    Much appreciated Gary and thx.

Title edited
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Great news
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks............

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Yes, this is true that GA and ND both accept a Missouri permit now and was accomplished by a select core group working on it and other members efforts writing letters emails and phone calls over at missouricarry.com that got this done.

Our AG Jay Nixon has done nothing for us to aid in this as he does not agree with CCW and has done nothing to help us gain more states that accept a valid Missouri CHL. So our missouricarry.com group went around them and started in on the states on our own, writing, calling, etc and this made this difference with these states. AG Jay Nixon will not do his job so we will do it for him.

There is more to this and so I will post some stuff off our MissouriCarry site if anyone is interested, make no mistake, you can all band together and make things happen as well, we are doing it and look to add another 10 states on top of this that will honor a Missouri CHL.

Thanks to the letters, phone calls and hard work of petria, SFC Stu, myself (yes, I'll pat myself on the back) a Missouri Endorsement is now good in Georgia! Here she is.

This is directly off the MissouriCarry,

PRESS ADVISORY PRESS ADVISORY
    For immediate release
    6/22/2006

Missouri added by Attorney General Baker to List of States Entitled to Georgia’s Firearm Permit Reciprocity

Attorney General Thurbert Baker announced today an addition to Georgia’s program of reciprocal recognition to firearms permit holders from other states. Legislation passed in 1996 allowed Georgia to grant this privilege to citizens of states which recognized Georgia firearms permits.
    The State of Missouri has determined that it will honor Georgia firearms permits. Therefore, effective July 1, 2006, Georgia will recognize firearms permits issued by Missouri.

With this revision, Georgia now reciprocates in recognizing firearms licenses with the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

As always, Georgia firearms permit holders should familiarize themselves with the individual requirements and limitations on firearms permits in any of the reciprocating states where they wish to exercise their rights under this reciprocity program.

Make no mistake...we did this. Not the MO Attorney general but us. So, letters, emails and phone calls do make a difference.

Mr Nixon can sit on it in Jefferson City and we'll go around and over him if that's what it takes. Come Fall, if our esteemed AG is still assuming the fetal position, we're going to have a little public party outside his office and let him explain to all of Missouri why he can't do his job. A man who can't write a letter especially with all his legal training, doesn't deserve to be an AG...much less a Gubernatorial candidate.

I went to the North Dakota website today and Missouri now has reciprocity with that state! That is two states since we began with our direct letter writing campaign in late May ...Georgia recognized us on 06/22/07 and it is effective today!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/missouri_map.gif
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
    http://www.ag.state.nd.us/BCI/CW/reciprocity.htm
    http://www.state.ga.us/ago/press/pre...PR.20060622.02

Once again, congratulations to petria, SFC Stu and anyone else who called, emailed or wrote to the ND and MO AGs. My understanding from SFC Stu was that ND was waiting on a confirmation from the MO AG. If that is true, then that call or letter was made.

As most of you know, I and several others have had a real "encouragement" campaign going with the MO AG office so if the MO AG office did anything to help this outcome ( I don't know that they did), thank you. Reference: http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/...ic.php?t=11221

A Missouri Endorsement (permit) is now valid in 23 states; Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Dakota, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, UT and Vermont.

Two states down in the last 30 days...10 more possibles

to the core group as well as everyone who did there part over at MissouriCarry.com.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; July 2nd, 2006 at 02:47 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Double post, sorry!
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Ti - thanks for all your work on this issue with "our" AG. If it weren't for you all, I'd have to stay in MO. I'm just waiting for Wyoming...
    thanks again!

David, Wyoming is next up! This was posted by a MissouriCarry member today as he has been in contact with Wyoming on this.

Also, I am just passing the info on at C.C. as MissouriCarry members, realtor, SFC Stu and petria are the members that are hard at it the most.

Today from MissouriCarry.com member bhk,

Just received this somewhat optimistic note from Mike Bennett in the Wyoming AG office:

"In response to your latest e-mail, we have experienced some unexpected delays in processing a reciprocal agreement between our two states. I can inform you, however, that my client has been in contact with your Attorney General’s Office and they have been extremely helpful in this process thus far. Your continued interest and patience in this matter is greatly appreciated. We hope to resolve this issue in the near future. Have a good holiday.

Sincerely,

H. Michael Bennett
    Assistant Attorney General
    Division of Criminal Investigation
    316 W. 22nd Street
    Cheyenne, WY 82002"

I am not to sure what he means by his 'client,' but am somewhat encouraged about his statement of cooperation from Missouri.

I think this will turn the corner soon with Wyoming and then you could leave the state at that time.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; July 3rd, 2006 at 07:24 PM.

look's like the hard work paid off for us in Missouri, the AG office is finally listening and acting on what they should be doing in the first place.

Here is a post from member realtor who has been working hard on this and I wanted to pass on the good news. Soon there will be many updates to make on packing.org or handgunlaw.us.

Good New For All Of Us! Today, I received a phone call from the office of Jay Nixon, Attorney General for the State of Missouri. The gentleman who called me is Peter Lyskowski, (573) 751-8824, Peter.Lyskowski@ago.mo.gov , an attorney ( I presume, because I forgot to ask) in the AGs office.

He called to inform me that the task of communicating with all states on the subject of gaining reciprocity for our Missouri permit was under his official duties and he was actively and earnestly communicating with all states to promote the Missouri permit. The dialog was such that I knew he was doing exactly that from the non-privileged details that he was able to convey. We discussed many issues and especially the states where reciprocity is still a possibility. There are some states that do not recognize any other states permit or, IL and WI, who have no concealed carry provisions whatsoever...even for their own citizens.

We reviewed recent events that "coincidentally" occurred since several MissouriCarry members began extensive written and verbal communications directly to other states" Governors and Attorneys General. He confirmed what we already knew, GA and ND have already officially reciprocated with Missouri in the last forty days. He also informed me that MS was a done deal (my words). He talked with the Director of Public Safety in MS today and the official pronouncement of reciprocity is in the mail to the MO AG's office. It is expected to arrive by weeks end.

One of the issues we discussed is the fact that nowhere in MO Weapons Law (RSMo 571) does it task any individual or agency in Missouri government with a "duty" to promote the Missouri permit or seek reciprocal arrangements with other states. That, is a true statement.... but as a result of the phone calls, emails and letters to Mr. Nixon and other state's officials, the office of the MO Attorney General and Mr Lyskowski in particular have assumed (even if not mandated by law) the "go to" task of getting it done. This is as it should be...most states place that responsibility with their Attorney General, Governor of Office of Public Safety.

Our voices...polite, respectful and direct, have been heard. I frankly don't care why now , I just care that we are on the map! There are probably any number of reasons but frankly, who cares if it means it gets done!

So, here is where we stand today.

Either by examining www.packing.org, www.handgunlaw.us or individual state web sites, a Missouri permit appears to be valid in; Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Vermont...and of course, right here at home in Missouri! You can probably add Mississippi to that list but the "official" letter from MS is "in the mail". By Friday then we should be at 24 total.

States where the MO AGs office are actively in communication (at some level of resolution) are Delaware, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming and West Virginia. Washington and South Carolina are kind of "iffy". Both require that another state's CCW law must be essentially similar to theirs and both have provisions in their law that require an applicant in their state to waive the privacy of the applicant's mental health records as part of the process. Missouri law does not do that. So, those two may be a "no go".

Wyoming is a puzzle but the ball is clearly in that state's court (as confirmed by a post from bhk) and now, our AGs office.

The following states simply have no provision for CCW or do not recognize any other state's permit; Illinois and Wisconsin (no carry), Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Rhode Island.

Credit goes to many on www.missouricarry.com for this turn of events...SFC Stu, petria, bhk and others who I am too tired at the moment to remember. To those whose name I have missed. I apologize.

Yea team! the AG's office was tired of this and looking bad.

Ti.

Way to go guys!
    Press the fight!

Outstanding!!! My travel plans are growing.

Links