PA knife carry

PA knife carry

This is a discussion on PA knife carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read the law for PA, still confused! Not concerned about a folder in a pocket, but can someone non-officially clarify if a defensive knife ...

Thread: PA knife carry

PA knife carry

I read the law for PA, still confused! Not concerned about a folder in a pocket, but can someone non-officially clarify if a defensive knife is or is not allowed to be carried concealed in PA.

It depends on where you are. Under state law, as long as it's not an auto, a "dagger", or "razor", you're good.
    There's no statutory definition of "dagger", but it's generally accepted among LE that double edged blades aren't allowed.
    As I read it, the prohibition is actually on any auto, but no one cares what I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. 908: Prohibited offensive weapons
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    The thing is, we don't have "preemption" for knives as we do for firearms, so local governments are free to pass their own ordinances regarding knife carry. For example, it's illegal to carry any knife in Philly, unless you need it for work, and then only while you're working.

RKM
    I carry a SOG Twitch II every single day. It's spring assisted. Never even thought about it being legal or not. I'm still not all that worried about it.

Links